Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you prefer Peace or Morgans?

I am pretty sure that PCGS forums will show skew to Morgans, but I was browsing and noticed reddit and other discussions talking about which they prefer. Surprisingly, I did not expect to see a large number of Peace over Morgan replies. Am curious what you all think. Both is not an answer because I know a lot of us want to pick that haha. If you had to chose one of them. Curious!

Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan's had a longer run and are valued higher.
    Law of averages comes into play.
    Given a heads up choice, Morgan dollars should be favored.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both but do prefer Peace, particularly the 1921's.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated above, I like both of them. But if picking one, then the Morgans. I should state I collected them so there could be some bias there. :)

But looking at it the Morgans I think have better toned coins if that is a preference or something one collects. The Morgans also have the flashy Prooflike / PL coins and then the Deep Mirror Prooflike and many with the cameo appearance. Then the Morgans have that one mint mark - CC - which is kind of popular with some. This includes me as that is what I kept (and a few others) when I sold the set. If Proofs are a thing for you, then I believe it is Morgans. There are some great looking CAM / DCAM Morgans but I never have had any. Or perhaps looking for a GSA or Redfield holder type of thing. Of course none of this would matter if one doesn't like the design or likes the Peace design.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Peace Dollar design better, especially the reverse versus the Morgan reverse.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Eighteen63Eighteen63 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭

On the contrary, Google is not your friend.

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

I don't collect either series seriously, but have some of each. Of course, there are various reasons one may prefer one series over another. As for aesthetics, I was never a fan of either design, but prefer Morgan over Peace. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reddit crowd is a younger demographic. They will like the symbolism of the Peace.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you not use the poll option? Then you could see the totals...

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Morgan! It just looks better to me.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭

When as a kid, they weighed down my jeans, I spent the Peace dollars first.

But then on the other hand when my Grammaw gave my cousin and me the chance to pick out 5 silver dollars each, we went for the ...oldest... :s

And thus got 5 1878s.. :D

Who wants Morgans in the 1890s anyhow? :*

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan for me. The first really big chunk of silver I got from my grandfather as a kid...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Morgan. The eagle design on the back of the Morgan is better looking than the Peace eagle, although the Peace eagle is good.

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

As a coin? Morgans. They come better preserved, better struck, much more nicely toned, plus they can be found very easily with a Cameo surface (PRF or PL). But I like the design of the Peace Dollar much better. I think the Turn of the Century/WWI Era US Coins (Early Lincolns, Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, Walking Liberty Half, Peace Dollar, Incused Indian Gold Quarter and Half Eagles, Indian Head Eagles, and Saint Gaudens Double Eagles; all that Teddy Roosevelt "Pet Crime"/Coin Renaissance stuff, especially the first year of the designs) to be among the most beautiful coinage ever made ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. And yeah if any collector of Ancient Greek coinage wants to fight me over that I'll need someone to hold my beer 😉 😉 (j/k....maybe 😉)

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 5:54PM

Peace $

Had specialized in them at one time-interesting, fun series.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    split37split37 Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

I collect both and prefer Peace dollars. The design is more sleek, obverse and reverse. As previously mentioned, the lack of proof or proof-like Peace dollars is upsetting. I would love to get my hands on a PL Peace dollar.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace. After that Morgans, except 1921. After that 22--35 Peace. 1921 Morgans are an abomination.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 2:38PM

Morgans Baby!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan.

• Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Why did you not use the poll option? Then you could see the totals...

Oh I didn't know there was an option to make it into a poll. I was just curious of opinions more than actual count. I personally like them both but I prefer Peace because of a stupid reason. The eagle on the reverse is a more realistic looking eagle and the obverse cause the crown and face is seems more defined.

Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

@split37 said:
    I would love to get my hands on a PL Peace dollar.

The kids across the street have graded a small handful of pieces. So they're out there, but you just gotta be prepared to PAY for them.

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace: Classic, New, Fantasy.

Over-struck on original 1921 Peace Dollar.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pillar

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 5:21PM

First, I love all silver dollars! Both have their own mystic!

I have the full set of peace dollars in an album, I could never achieve such with Morgan's,

Morgan's have better strikes, more history, and were minted at 5 different mints, including the low mintage Carson City!

So, if I could only own one, it would be a Morgan!!

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Peace design, but Morgans have more versatility. There's more to collect with Morgan dollars, with 5 mints, multiple decades, rarities, common dates, VAMs, toners, blast white coins, condition sets, etc.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both, but aesthetically I give the Peace dollar the edge. Frosty and PL Morgans are a dime a dozen; however, fully lustrous satiny white Peace dollars can be gorgeous coins, especially well-struck San Francisco issues.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO only:

The best-looking Morgans are a bit better-looking than the best-looking Peace dollars. But that's hardly a put-down; Peace dollars are gorgeous.

Again, IMO only:

Morgans hold up better as they wear than do Peace dollars.

So, in conclusion, I like Morgan dollars a bit better than Peace dollars; but both are gorgeous at their best.

• Options

@Catbert said:
    Morgan dollars are like the Toyotas or Hondas of coins. They're everywhere given how many were minted. I prefer the Peace dollar design.

That's a beauty.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The added accent of the crown and the reverse rays accentuate the obv/reverse.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Tough call; flip a coin. B)

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the Peace dollar design a bit better. Love the history of the Morgan's but am drawn to the Peace dollar more. Plus a 1922 Peace was one of the first dollar coins that I added to my collection when I was a kid. Still have it!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Oh! Facelifter! That's one heckuva specimen!

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy decision, ONE is beautiful, clean and classic like the $10 gold Indian and the other is NOT!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the Peace dollar that is favorite for me. I have a complete set of peace dollars, and about an equal number of Morgans, but will never complete a set of the Morgans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file