Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you prefer Peace or Morgans?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans are boring IMHO, and I'm talking about the design.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not really a dollar guy, but I’ve always preferred the Peace vs the Morgan design. Both are wonderful though.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan’s all day long.
    The Peace dollars look flat most of the time. I need a coin with luster. Look at the coin posted by @FlyingAl …. Respectable, beautiful but flat.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer Morgan dollars, especially in PL or DMPL. I have a couple of toners too!
    Nothing against Peace dollars. I've seen a few with beautiful luster. Maybe someday I will buy a real nice one.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like and collect both, but my preference would be the Morgan dollar. The Peace design 'on paper' is slightly better but not in the mint execution. Morgans have a much better strike. Wish they could have figured out how to keep the high relief for the series. On so many Peace dollars you can hardly read Peace and parts of the legend & motto are wiped down to almost being invisible, with much of the fields also displaying the raised lines. The design also didn't help display the eagle feathers.
    The lack of PL/DMPL coins and toning is also a big negative. A frosty Peace looks great but many are dull. I also like the extra details on the Morgan, the rim dentil, the 13 stars on the obverse, Liberty's hair detail, and the wreath on the reverse. The Peace reverse seems very busy with having the E Pluribus on the reverse, not a clean design, too much going on, just MHO.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans
    I like motto in old English font

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect neither. But, I find Ms. Peace to be the more attractive lady.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Morgan’s all day long.
    The Peace dollars look flat most of the time. I need a coin with luster. Look at the coin posted by @FlyingAl …. Respectable, beautiful but flat.

Ah yes - fresh dies do have a nice surface like that. This die pair more so than other 1921s.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Peace$. 1964-D

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Early it was Morgans, but I love the Peace design. It's more complicated and nuanced in simplicity.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans excite me more. Better design and many of the keys and semi keys are very scarce and valuable.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 1:27PM

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    I like and collect both, but my preference would be the Morgan dollar. The Peace design 'on paper' is slightly better but not in the mint execution. Morgans have a much better strike. Wish they could have figured out how to keep the high relief for the series.

Excellent point. If the mint had somehow been able to produce the Peace dollar as intended, it would rank among the all-time best designs of world coinage.

Those fellows producing Morgans in the late 1800s really, really knew their craft. They were able to create exceptionally high-quality coins while maintaining an acceptable level of production. The Morgan was designed by a master coiner, and the Peace by a master sculptor. They aren't exactly the same.

The modern US mint has sold-out completely. They're goal is production while maintaining an illusion of artistry and quality.

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a tie for me. I have one of each. 93 s in G06 and a 28 in MS62. They are the only dollars in my collection.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Peace dollars are way more beautiful, not even close. Though I like the Morgan reverse better, that's one handsome classic bird.

But Morgans are a much richer 'world' to collect in, with the long date run, all the VAMS and rare dates and everything.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others have said, I think the Peace design is way prettier, but the Morgans have more history, more variety of surfaces, PL, DMPL, toning,etc.

I like both, and I have pretty examples of both.

Frost:

Color:

But this is sweet.

On the new ones, the Peace hands down:

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans for me.

I have never liked the Peace dollar design.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@Mercury said:

Fun stuff! I love the old holders.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan’s. It’s much easier to find high grade coins worthy of upgrades for a much better price.

• Options

I like the Peace obv, and the Morgan reverse 😬

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

The peace dollar is a more beautiful coin.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's there not to love about? B)

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer the Peace Dollar design, would be awesome if like Morgan’s they were also available with PL, DMPL and crazy toning

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

Morgan Dollars......

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Asheland

@asheland said:

@Mercury said:

Asheland,

Thanks, I now have all 24 coin in rattler holders except the 1928 and 1934-S are in OGH holders.
    I need to update my photo.
    If anyone has a 28 or 34S in a rattler holder……I’m your huckleberry.

Mercury

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm not splitting this baby in half. But since I'm compelled to choose, Peace $. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife loves the lady with her beautiful hair - the high relief 1921 Peace Dollar. The only Peace Dollar I own (PCGS MS65 CAC). She said, "Don't you ever sell it!"

• Options

Morgans for their potential for spectacular toning and that blinding luster on the San Francisco coins.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mercury said:
    Asheland

@asheland said:

@Mercury said:

Asheland,

Thanks, I now have all 24 coin in rattler holders except the 1928 and 1934-S are in OGH holders.

Mercury

I know where a 28 and 34-S are 65 CAC is if you want them. PM me.

• Options

@Mercury said:
    Asheland

@asheland said:

@Mercury said:

Asheland,

Mercury

That really is impressive! 👍

• Options

B) > @DisneyFan said:

My wife loves the lady with her beautiful hair - the high relief 1921 Peace Dollar. The only Peace Dollar I own (PCGS MS65 CAC). She said, "Don't you ever sell it!"

Post it here! B)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Either, or.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

I like both.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Tell your wife that she would just love a MS67....

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect both and while I prefer the art and design of the Peace dollar, I’m inclined to agree with those that are drawn to the vast variety of surfaces and toning available in the Morgan series. I’ve very seldom, if ever, fallen for a toned Peace dollar. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m just not drawn to them. PL’s just don’t happen in the series and most strikes are soft….
    So, even though I love the Peace dollars, I’ve spent more time and energy chasing and assembling my Morgan set. I like both series, for different reasons.
    But those gem 1921’s! Now that’s a great coin!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@asheland said:
    B) > @DisneyFan said:

Post it here! B)

It's in her safe deposit box.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@DisneyFan said:

Tell your wife that she would just love a MS67....

Even though there are only 2 CACs, at $162,000, she would prefer a Bentley.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan in a landslide and I don’t even care much for the coin. I’ve never liked the peace design. Something about it is just off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file