Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You've got half a million to buy a US coin.....

lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

So you've got half a million ($500,000) to buy a US coin....no you can't afford the Uber rarities, but it opens up coins you'd normally never be able to think about.

Some rules/conditions
1) It has to exist and be generally accepted that it does (so no 64D Peace or 1933 Washington Quarters 😉 )
2) it has to be a US Federal Coin (and just a single piece

And some things to make the choice easier
1) It's "magically" protected against theft and/or "turning", so no worries about setting up special conditions for its storage.
2) it doesn't have to be currently for sale, the current owner will gladly take your fair offer.

Whacha buyin?

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

Ooh I knew this was going to be a fun thread 😉. I know it's a Birch Cent, but please educate us noobs and tell us more...

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes a 1792 Birch cent.
    Obverse: Head of Liberty with flowing hair facing right, date below. Reverse: Denomination in wreath, fraction (1/100) below. This design has been traditionally ascribed to a British artist named William Russell Birch.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The elusive 1876-CC Double Dime would be high on my list. Some nice 179x gold would also be high on that list.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    S&P 500 index fund.

Then I can buy coins every year for the rest of my life from the income.

Good idea from a practical point of view - but doesn't follow my original rules (hey I'm "magically" protecting it from theft and damage, I think it's fair I get to set limits 😉)

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

1873-cc NA quarter. IF you could buy one for that. Probably not even the details graded one.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can honestly say there is no $ 500,000 coin that I fancy. Coins in that price area are way beyond my means so I really don't know what I would want. Now, start a new thread and ask what 10 coins for a half million and I'd be up for that.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half a million , I would just add to my savings, I would take some earnings and keep on doing what I do now, maybe pick up a nice Proof.

Some gold.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    1873-cc NA quarter. IF you could buy one for that. Probably not even the details graded one.

Funny, I didn’t see your post before I posted the same. Although I’m more optimistic that one can be had at a reasonable level.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

1795 Half Dollar or Dollar.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

To adhere to the OP guidelines... probably a nice 1793 Chain Cent or Liberty Cap cent.

...in reality... I'd pay off my house and buy a lesser quality 1793 Chain or Liberty Cap...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I would never want $500,000 buried in my entire collection. It's like setting money on fire.

Not to get all philosophical on you, but until we figure out how to take our wealth to the next world, all money gets “burned” sooner or later, whatever we do with it. Might as well play with it while we’re here.

I agree. That's a slightly different issue. But there are limits to how much money I am comfortable burying in my recreation.

I wouldn't get a $5000 per night suite either.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too much risk for one coin, IMO.

I have the same amount spread over 800 certified coins, way, way less risk and way more interesting.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@lsica said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    S&P 500 index fund.

Then I can buy coins every year for the rest of my life from the income.

Good idea from a practical point of view - but doesn't follow my original rules (hey I'm "magically" protecting it from theft and damage, I think it's fair I get to set limits 😉)

There is no $500,000 coin that I would ever own. I'll go one step further: I would never want $500,000 buried in my entire collection. It's like setting money on fire.

I'm with you on this one. If $500K rained from the sky on me, I wouldn't spend it on a coin or any combination of coins. Far more important uses for it, free money or not.

Maybe if it was $10MM minimum but I still wouldn't choose a US federal issue.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

That about 1000 times my normal-upper range. My usual trophy coin answer is a Gobrecht dollar but I don’t know if any of them take that much money.
    I assume this is a deal of someone else’s money and I can take it or leave it…so I’ll take it and figure something out to buy.
    I think I could get a Mint State Flowing Hair Dollar for that much. That would work. (Or some proof gold like @Floridafacelifter)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 11:23AM

the hawaii five o nickel

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

1794 dollar

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

the hawaii five o nickel

I hit the LOL button since $500,000 would be a small fraction of what this coin would sell for.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

the hawaii five o nickel

That $5 million not 500k.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of you guys aren't playing along with the spirit of the OP's hypothetical question. It should have been "If you saved the life of a very wealthy person and they wanted to reward you by buying you a coin with a maximum value of $500,000, what coin would you want?"

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, it's a good down payment 👍

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a 1794 dollar or a really nice 1895 proof Morgan. Although there are coins that are much more interesting in the <$100k range that I would prefer to buy several of vs. one $500k coin.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:
    Most of you guys aren't playing along with the spirit of the OP's hypothetical question. It should have been "If you saved the life of a very wealthy person and they wanted to reward you by buying you a coin with a maximum value of $500,000, what coin would you want?"

Something I could immediately sell so I could use the money to buy an s&p500 fund. >:)

That's the smart thing to do.

That's the exact opposite of what I'm doing at the moment. I'm dumb.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Nothing like a big flashy piece of proof gold!

Isn't that already your coin?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file