Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you still have your first Red Book?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Grandma gave me this on my 9th birthday. She also gave me this coin that was in a 2x2.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2023 11:06PM

@relicsncoins I love your story and I'm sure the book and coin that your Grandma gave you will give you great memories of her.

I do not have my first Red Book, but when I got back into coin collecting about 6 years ago I bought the 1964 Blue Book to see what dealers were paying for coins when I was born.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2023 5:20AM

Of course. We're collectors, aren't we?

I think that I got mine at age 8 but the date on my cover is 1967.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2023 6:00AM

I do! It’s a 2011. My wife and I moved recently and I came across it in an old box with some other miscellaneous mementos. It brought back fond memories of walking around the Buena Park coin show (my first coin show) at age 13 with my mom and my Redbook in hand.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first and much used 1971 Red Book. I bought it in 1970, from a small coin shop I used to visit on my way to high school when I was in 8th grade. I have purchased a copy every year since then and also older editions when I come across them when they’re in good shape.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first one was given to me by my local dealer back in 1963...also dated 1963 so it was probably year old back stock at the time. I've never bought a replacement.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had both the Red/Blue books at one time. But over time and moves they became displaced. Did pick up some Redbooks at yard sales over the ensuing years.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

1968 is my first red book.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first was a 1959 Red Book 12th edition which was given to me by my Hobby Shop owner in Kingsport, Tn in 62 for Christmas. It was well worn with pages loose, but I loved it. While overseas in 69, my Mother accidentally lost my book. She happened on a 1969 copy, which she purchased and sent me. I was so mad, I foolishly tore out her inscription, which I immediately regretted doing.
    Great memories of the 59 book. I still have the 69 copy.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't even remember the first one. My grandfather had a couple of older ones from the 60's that I used to look at in the 70's. My earliest memories are "Coins" magazines.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

Yes and no. My first copy was a 1967 copy. It currently has no cover, front or back. It is currently in three pieces with a few chunks missing. Poor thing.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know where mine is. Maybe in a box in the attic? I don’t remember specifically getting rid of it..

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got the blue book, bought at the same time, in a box somewhere. I remember someone posting their Red Books from 1947 on or close to it. I believe it was @BillJones

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2023 12:31PM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Yes and no. My first copy was a 1967 copy. It currently has no cover, front or back. It is currently in three pieces with a few chunks missing. Poor thing.

There was a period when Red Books reutinly fell apart. The books I bought at the time did. When I bought a complete set, those books were intact. I am afraid to open them very much.

As for my first Red Book, my uncle this one to me for Christmas in 1959. My grandmother ended up with it for a while because she was interested in coins. Then I got it back when she went to a nursing home.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first one was actually my brothers copy. It was a 1982 edition and all in tatters over the years. I think it was recycled several decades ago. I have an old one that was my wife’s grandfather’s and an old one I got in a used book store. Never look at them. Maybe should donate or recycle them.

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes still have it. Got as a child in 1988

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first Red Book was a1962. I loaned it to a guy at work decades ago. The SOB never returned it, and he died 20 years ago.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just stumbled across a whole pile of them and put the group up on eBay, they weren't doing me any good collecting dust in the basement. I am pretty sure the extremely worn 1981 edition was the first I owned, though in the pile were older volumes dating back to 1963.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have my 1964 Redbook. Also my high school letterman's jacket.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about my first Red Book but I still have the first Blue Book that my grandfather gave me for Christmas in 1957 when I was 8 years old.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have donated all but my most recent Red Book to the library.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have it and its a treasured item.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but mine is not really that old. No need for a replacement as I do not collect moderns so the book I have has all the info I would ever need.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck yes. 23rd edition, 1970.

I remember fantasizing as a kid about what it would be like to own a Large Cent. I read this book from cover to cover. So much great information.

I see VF 1901-s quarters are only $625. Seems like a bargain now.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Fugio1787Fugio1787 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Heck yes. 23rd edition, 1970.

I remember fantasizing as a kid about what it would be like to own a Large Cent. I read this book from cover to cover. So much great information.

I see VF 1901-s quarters are only $625. Seems like a bargain now.

Dave

Even with inflation, that only comes out to $4945. PCGS price guide is $21k in VF25.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

Lucky you Skier07. Our local library will not take Numismatic books except to be sold on one of their regular book sales. My oldest daughter is Head Librarian for libraries in 3 local towns but the folks she works for will not take donated books of any kind.
    no idea what will become of my books. James *With exception of bonfire by wife.)

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 9:03AM

I don't have my first one but I do have several, all signed by Ken Bressett. One has a personal note from Ken attached. Ken is so gracious when someone asks to autograph their book. The man has forgotten more about numismatics than I will ever know.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

No clue what I did with mine, I had it for many years.

It just disappeared in my teen years, typical.

Dated 67 or 68

This thread brought up fond memories.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

No red - just one old blue.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 5:38PM

Nope but kept it thru college for girls phone numbers and related info on ones I dated. My own little Area 51. Would start those kind of notes (chick sheet) on PG 28. From the bookshelf just looked like a coin book. My SR yr had my own apt and therefore no prob w nosy dorm guys.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ... and my great grandfather's 8th edition blue book from 1950 ...

mirabela
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1st RED BOOK and have acquired many more.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file