Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1811/09 Capped Bust Dime Struck with Severely Broken Dies

EddiEddi Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2023 1:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

As is well known, 1811 dimes were struck using unused dies for the 1809 dime. The obverse was modified by punching the digits 11 over the 09.
A total of 65180 1811/09 dimes were reportedly struck. The reverse die failed quickly and increasingly severely, yielding coins showing in some cases multiple die cracks.

This 1811/09 shows very extensive die breaks on the reverse, among the most severe that I have ever seen. The beading is very lightly impressed, specially on the obverse, and some stars are very weak, one of them almost not visible.
Grading this example, for me at least, is a challenge as I find it difficult to distinguish wear from the effects on using a severely broken die.
1811 dimes also show obverse die clashing, and in some cases bulging on top of the cap which may account for some of weakness seen.

Please let me have your thoughts.

How would you grade this example, assuming the advanced reverse die breaks may have impaired the strength of the obverse strike, which I assume is the case here.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I didn't know about this one. Could be an example to have for cracking if one can afford the price.

As far as the question on grading, I don't have the knowledge for it but went looking. I stopped with just coinfacts (no auction) as I found a couple examples.

The first is a pcgs graded MS63. It appears to me to be a little later die state as some of the cracks extend more. This would be in the banner and eagle wings for a couple example areas. Also the clashing on the obverse in a couple of places. It could give an indication of the strike for the die state.

The second is a pcgs graded F12. Again it appears to me to be a little later die state due to cracking in noted areas. I think I see the clashing in front of the forehead but not as much at the date. Wear can play into this.

Last example is a pcgs graded F12 with little cracking, just for reference.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

1811 bust dime is one of my favorite coins. Very hard to find a nice one without paying top dollar.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!!!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of my personal favorite dates for the CBD series is the 1811/9 as well. The MS-63 above is a gorgeous coin and I am not sure its a terminal die state. If not then its pretty close to a terminal die state. What I can't imagine is how the US Mint minted the coin with the reverse die in such bad shape. The mint held the die together with rubber bands and strings. LOL. BTW - the 63 shown above is in my collection.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I have an 1814 dime that was struck with a shattered die.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    Cool, I didn't know about this one. Could be an example to have for cracking if one can afford the price.

As far as the question on grading, I don't have the knowledge for it but went looking. I stopped with just coinfacts (no auction) as I found a couple examples.

The first is a pcgs graded MS63. It appears to me to be a little later die state as some of the cracks extend more. This would be in the banner and eagle wings for a couple example areas. Also the clashing on the obverse in a couple of places. It could give an indication of the strike for the die state.

The second is a pcgs graded F12. Again it appears to me to be a little later die state due to cracking in noted areas. I think I see the clashing in front of the forehead but not as much at the date. Wear can play into this.

Last example is a pcgs graded F12 with little cracking, just for reference.

@lilolme,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts and of course, also for the pictures.
    Based on these it does no seem that an advanced reverse die state causes undue weakness of strike on the obverse. This is what I thought.

I continue to be puzzled as to why star 13 is so weak on my example....maybe it was caused by obverse die bulging?

I love this date (actually, I love all pre-1829 bust dimes).

Thanks again!

And thank you everybody for your comments :)

These are the three 1811/09 dimes in my collection. I was trying to collect examples in various reverse die states.
    Examples struck before the reverse die started to fail are very scarce, per the authors of the CBD-Variety Identification Guide.

• Options

thanks Eddi for sharing the progressive die cracks/failures.
    Did you ever see the 1797 JR-1 - progressive die crack in the date. Personally, this is one of my favorite die cracks because you can see the date disappear. Pretty cool.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, that looks like a neat collection to generate (die progression) on this date.

I thought that 1797 date thing sounded familiar. I did a thread on that one. :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1074571/1797-raised-date

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

I would guess the OP dime grades Fine.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a late die state but a decent piece.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

Easton,
    that ms63 is gorgeous and cracked to boot. I wouldn't give it a vote as a terminal die state but LDS I would.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2023 2:56PM

Here is one that is a late state and star 8 is perhaps starting to fade due to the die bulge at the cap?

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:
    Easton,
    that ms63 is gorgeous and cracked to boot. I wouldn't give it a vote as a terminal die state but LDS I would.

I tend to agree with you that its a LDS but when I show it to some, they feel it might be a terminal ds rather than a LDS. Either way, I am quite pleased I have an example in such nice condition thats a LDS. Thanks RSL.

Easton Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file