Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are You An Album Coin Collector, Slabbed Coin Collector Or Both

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your primary method of collecting?

I'll go out on a limb here and say us albums coin collectors are going to lose and we're going to lose big to the slabbed coin collectors! Probably because we're on a PCGS forum. 🤣

With one caveat. I have bought several slabbed problem free coins over the years and have broken them out for the albums.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Are You An Album Coin Collector, Slabbed Coin Collector Or Both

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

My vote assumes Capital Holders are albums.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Album Coin Collector

I like to be able to examine my coins without plastic in the way, but if it’s high grade it needs to be in a slab.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

Both but lean a bit more heavily towards filling albums.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭
    or Other

Neither.
    Most of my collection is either raw currency in sleeves, or raw coins in 2x2s. I do have a couple of Dansco's for the statehood/parks quarters, and a few slabs (paper and coins), but those are definitely the minority for me,

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

Registry player who only likes PCGS or NGC coins. I try to buy only mint state.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    Both

Most of my collection is raw, some in albums and some in airtites or flips. I do have some slabbed coins, though.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

Both, have a shelf full of Dansco's. Was adding to them this week.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

I have both raw and slabbed coins.

I never really cared for albums.

I store most of my raw coins in 2X2s and plastic coin tubes.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

Originally, I was a Dansco collector, but the reality of collecting SLHs means having to eventually purchase slabbed coins and having valuable raw coins graded.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

I did use an album for a set of Franklin half dollars, but that was only because I didn’t want to spend a fortune on the certified set. That was the first time I had used a formal album in 50 years. I use Eagle albums to house my political pieces, but there are no defined places in those albums.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

Both for me

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 601 ✭✭✭
    Both

Both
    Working on:
    2 Barbers Quarter albums
    2 Washington Quarter albums
    And a registry set of Barber Quarters

Rob
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Album Coin Collector

I collect coins in albums, and I collect the albums themselves.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

I am a PCGS Registry collector, so only PCGS slabs.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

I said "other."

I am primarily an album collector. But as the upgrade bug hit, I reached a point (somewhere in the neighborhood of $200) where I am not willing to buy a raw coin sight unseen (and I know of no real coin shop (meaning one whose primary business isn't bullion) in my area, so all my expensive purchases are over the internet. So I started acquiring slabbed coins to replace coins in the albums. And I'm not willing to crack them out, being mindful that either I or my heir(s) will want to sell it someday, and it's easier to get a good price for a slabbed coin than the same coin raw.

So I now have a lot of slabbed coins.

And then I started a "box of 20" collection, all of which will be slabbed (e.g., Pine Tree Shilling).

So my collection is a mix: By numbers, something in excess of 95% of my coins are in albums. But by value, about 2/3 of the value is in slabbed coins.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

Slabs only for me. Almost all PCGS, except for the one ancient in an NGC slab.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

Both, gotta keep it interesting

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

It’s almost exclusively slabbed for me lately. I still have many (and buy some) raw coins but I’ve never been an album guy.
    I did spend time with the kids on some Lincoln albums and it was fun, though. I get it but it’s not how I like to collect.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

SLABS as it saves time not having to look through all the dreck to find the rare gem. As an example, I recently went through 4 trays of RAW Morgans at a LCS. I did not find a single coin I did hot have some problem with. Time is money.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

I collect only slabs but have recently started using the PCGS Album feature. I like that presentation a lot.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

Of course, back in the day we all started out as album collectors, as grading services hadn't come into existence yet. I've collected all TPG coins since about 1989, but I still have all my blue Whitman folders and albums along with my Danscos.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

Mostly slabbed but occasionally raw coins in 2x2s

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Album Coin Collector

I'm an old school album collector at heart. I had my complete seated quarter set in a Dansco but I've since gotten them slabbed to make it easier to sell when my kids inherit the collection.

• Options
    or Other

Other.
    I collect both slabs and Raw coins. The Raw coins are then stored in 2x2s and placed in archival 20 coin sheets.
    When I was a kid I put my coins from pocket change in the old Whitman blue folders though.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

No slabs, no albums. My Bust halves are RAWWWWW (in airtites).

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

I have all. I have slabbed , I have OGP. In come cases I have all 3.

Same with Paper Money.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

@jacrispies said:
    No slabs, no albums. My Bust halves are RAWWWWW (in airtites).

Cool. I bet that looks amazing when all laid out on the table :smiley:

• Options
    Slabbed Coin Collector

I collect Komsco bullion lines specifically Chiwoo cheonwang and Zi:sin series.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

Like a few others I am mostly a slabbed registry collector, but I do enjoy filling the odd album now and then.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

Most of my stuff is raw. Then there's a lot of slabs and one Dansco.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

I voted "other", because my entire collection is in 2x2s. I assume coins in 2x2s in photographic slide pages don't count as "albums" in this context.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

@Sapyx said:
    I voted "other", because my entire collection is in 2x2s. I assume coins in 2x2s in photographic slide pages don't count as "albums" in this context.

I might count that as a homemade album

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

My sets are in albums. Most but not all of my slabs are high grade variety and error Buffalo nickels and a few assorted oddities.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2023 8:47AM

I might be biased. I do like being able to pass a collection along and allow someone to browse through it like reading a book or going through a photo album.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

Other...I collect coins-plastic or raw makes no difference to me. I don't use albums, however.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭
    Both

Both for myself. I recently bought an intercept album for Lincoln cents 1909-2007. Should be a fun and cheap endeavor since im not going after UNC early dates. I also picked up a couple Library of coins dime albums, mercury and Roosevelt. I have half a dozen or so raw mercury dimes that really need a home.

But I really like my slabbed walkers, mercury dimes and IHC.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

I’m in the both crowd on this question. It’s not like I add to my albums very much but when the opportunity comes up and I like what I see my wallet will come out. I’ve owned my album coins for at least six decades. I have a few.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or Other

None of the coins I collect have albums since this is mostly for US. I mostly buy already slabbed coins but those which aren't are kept in 2x2 flip in a box holding 100 flips.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    or Other

Neither. (I haven't figured out how to get the blue square into my reply.) They don't make albums for what I collect - mostly VOC copper and silver, plus Netherlands crowns and a few random singles from anywhere.

• Options
    Both

I guess technically I’m both.

I had previously ordered a binder album from Littleton that I have filled with blank ASE, silver dollar and half dollar pages. I fill about 50% of the slots with slabbed coins that I crack. For some issues I have no problem buying raw. Others where I lack confidence, I like the second opinion a slab offers me.

My goal is to eventually have a type and sub-type of each version of all ASE’s, and 1900+ large coins, ($ and half), silver only issues. NO JUNKY CLAD! Then, one example of each type’s possible mint mark.

If we’re talking Franklins you have 3 uncircs and a proof. Now, for ASE’s and Kennedys, even just the silver issues only, there is a freaking ton.

I will say this, when you commit to a custom set like this, you quickly discover that you have to create all kinds of new rules and parameters. As an example, do I consider the new Morgans and Peace dollars as commemoratives, part of the existing series, or a reboot of the series. I decided they were reboots and not commems. They are also clearly NOT continuations for soooo many reasons.

Then, do I consider the Morgan’s with privy marks to be legit, or novelties/gimmicks. In this case I found them to be illegitimate “coins” and just gimmicks. They’re Philly minted coins with government revenue insignias. I sold the ones I had purchased at issue.

I would soooo much prefer to have a nice new Dansco blank album and slipcase, that I could fill with blank pages in the same format. But, when I started Dansco was in limbo. Guess I’ll see what’s available again. Good to see the US Type is back in production.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I'm all over the place with my collection. One folder for state quarters, a coin album for 2x2's, 2x2's in 2x2 storage boxes, and coin tubes in storage boxes. Voted other.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

My slabs outnumber my albums by a very large amount.
    This is due to my PCGS Registry Sets.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both

I have both, but 99% of my focus is on certified coins. I collect modern sets in albums.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed Coin Collector

For U.S. coins, I am also completely a slab collector. My modern coins are mostly raw in the mint packages.

For medals, tokens, British and Imperial Roman coins, I am a "box collector." The coins are in boxes, not albums.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to hold a coin. The holder takes the joy out of that. Yet, the added value and protection from mishandling are cause enough to have the more valuable ones in holders. I like album collecting for the fun of it. The slabbed coins tend to go to market.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2023 4:44PM

100% slab. For the price range I collect $500-$2,000 an unholdered coin at these prices, these days is pretty much guaranteed to be cleaned and problematic garbage.

• Options
    johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    Both

I am both. I love an album because they display so much easier. I have a great Barber half Library of Coins 2nd album with most coins VG+/- and they look great in it. But for UNC coins or high eye appeal you need the slab to ensure originality, authenticity, and liquidity when you want to sell.

I am very slowly working on an AU/BU 7070 just because it’s great to see the coins together like that. I secretly wish the grading services would certify and seal an album so you get 20 graded coins on a page and not in a box…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file