Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Bunch of Incredible Coins I Got to Image - A Photo Thread (New Coins Posted Each Day)

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2023 6:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I must say, with the uptick in threads regarding parking lot finds, 20 year old resurrections, and people just complaining and arguing, I think the forum is in desperate need of a thread with some exceptional coins.

I recently had a good friend and forum member visit and I got the opportunity to image a large chunk of some of his sets. @Eldorado9 has one heck of a collection. These coins are simply incredible, and I mean that. I'll start with some Walkers, and then comment with some Barbers as time goes on. I think Eldo will chime in for the Barbers and give some provenance so I'll do those one at a time. I did 250+ images in 1.5 hours (roughly one coin a minute), so this was a good test of how fast I could go through a big group of coins.

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options

@WAYNEAS

Thanks! Can you edit that post so we don't repost all of those images? It may be a good idea not to quote that OP.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb coins AND photography, thanks for sharing.
    I really like the rim tone with the blazing luster on the 40p and 45p, but my fave is probably the 37d just because it’s an outstanding example of a tougher middle date.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

Stunning. I've always loved that series and those are beautiful examples.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    @WAYNEAS

Thanks! Can you edit that post so we don't repost all of those images? It may be a good idea not to quote that OP.

Request granted. Lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin photography

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and photography!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! Super coins and images.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

Your exposure is spot on…..nice photos.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos, keep up the good work! :)

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great combination of fantastic coins with top notch photos. It can’t get any better, even though photographers never stop trying.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and photos.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics are good but not great, in my humble opinion. Too many darker spots that could use some light. Completely understandable given how fast you went through them, though.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and nice pictures!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa, maybe you can do a few GTG's , unless most know the grades already and then this suggestion is a moot matter.
    But THIS is how you do it.

Bottom line, love the examples and love the photography!

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great work, Al.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional images - as always!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics and incredible coins for sure!

• Options

Fantastic photos! would you mind providing some detail on how you've achieved those photos, camera, lighting, etc?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and wonderful photos. :)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

What a terrific post this is! Congratulations to the photographer and to the collector. These pix demonstrate - yet again - why our hobby is so enjoyable!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great shooting and Gorgeous Walkers! Very difficult to pick a favorite here, 37 or 40 but I also like the flashes of blue on the 39.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics @FlyingAl . Your math needs improvement thou. 250 coins in 90 minutes would be almost 3 coins per minute.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Great pics @FlyingAl . Your math needs improvement thou. 250 coins in 90 minutes would be almost 3 coins per minute.

250 images in 90 minutes. Each coin was four images, and some were faster and slower, so it comes out to an average of about a coin a minute.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Here's a pic of my only nice WLH. Still raw.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Give him a break on the math - he was (expertly) imaging the coins too fast to spend an extra few seconds for the calculation.😀

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@gumby1234 said:

Give him a break on the math - he was (expertly) imaging the coins too fast to spend an extra few seconds for the calculation.😀

I thought that 250 images meant 250 coins, my bad.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Thanks guys! @DelawareDoons - I'm aware some could see that as a problem with my photos, but I try to capture a view of what the coin really looks like in hand. When coins are completely lit, I find it gives a flatter look to the photo and lessens luster. My photos display prominent luster bands on lustrous coins, which also reduces the overall coverage of the lights as it reflects in tighter bands. Of course, this is simply my opinion.

See, that's the trick behind truly great coin photography. How do you balance both lighting the fields to show details and still showing luster without causing blowout spots with the luster bands? It's tough, but doable. Keep working at it, tweaking, you'll get there. Never rest on your laurels, there's always room for improvement!

"Success is borrowed, not owned, and the rent is due every day."

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful images, good work @FlyingAl! They're all so nice that its truly hard to pick a favorite. But I really like the subtle blue of the 1939. I have a couple walkers with that color and I just love it. Really wonderful walkers.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@FlyingAl said:
    Thanks guys! @DelawareDoons - I'm aware some could see that as a problem with my photos, but I try to capture a view of what the coin really looks like in hand. When coins are completely lit, I find it gives a flatter look to the photo and lessens luster. My photos display prominent luster bands on lustrous coins, which also reduces the overall coverage of the lights as it reflects in tighter bands. Of course, this is simply my opinion.

See, that's the trick behind truly great coin photography. How do you balance both lighting the fields to show details and still showing luster without causing blowout spots with the luster bands? It's tough, but doable. Keep working at it, tweaking, you'll get there. Never rest on your laurels, there's always room for improvement!

"Success is borrowed, not owned, and the rent is due every day."

I agree entirely - there is never perfection in photography. I always have a list to improve on, and that's on it for one day.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, great coins and super awesome photography of what IMO is the most beautiful 20th century coin. Thank you sir for posting.

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins and photography.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoyed this walk in the park.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

The great shots continue! :p

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Far above average detail/strike on the 40-S.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2023 4:57PM

Next Barber - this wonderful 1906-O! This is one of the cleanest Barbers I have ever laid eyes on, and it is spectacular. Clean fields are accented by light hues of greens, purples, blues, reds, and oranges. Wisps of die polish are seen in the fields, but are not overly distracting. CAC endorsed, this MS67+ superb gem is pop 2/0.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Beautiful resolution on that 06-o buddy....Superb.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos are very nicely done, but just a bit on the dark side as poster DD said.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos and coin, but it’s not an 1896-O ;)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Haven't had time to do the slab shot for this one yet, but here's the 1908-S. Graded MS67, and from the Eliasberg collection, this superb gem is pop 2/0. A twin to the 1907-S, this coin exhibits light reds, oranges, and golds from the periphery. Accents of blues and purples grace both sides of this wonderful example, which is also among the best of the best.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Gorgeous pic buddy!!! The coin ain't bad either.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Those Barber’s are unreal!
    Great photos, you do superb work!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2023 2:28PM

Great photography!

Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file