Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Bunch of Incredible Coins I Got to Image - A Photo Thread (New Coins Posted Each Day)

2»

Comments

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2023 6:05AM

@emeraldATV said:

>

Your picture has nothing to do with this thread and this isn’t the first time you’ve done something like that. It’s disrespectful - please stop.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon

I feel the first photo represents the coin best. I could probably lighten it another third of a stop, but I don’t think it would be worth it.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    @leothelyon

I feel the first photo represents the coin best. I could probably lighten it another third of a stop, but I don’t think it would be worth it.

This is good to know whether my monitor settings are correct if I'm seeing what everyone else out there is seeing. I've taken 10,000 photos of my coins never having the knowledge of whether the camera `settings; the brightness, contrast, aperture and so on are correct. Whether I'm using the right kind of lighting or the amount of lighting. But I believe the camera makes all those slight adjustments automatically but yet as there have been in many instances over the years, the photos are not just right. And the change in computers and monitors over the last 30 years. I have gone through a number of towers and desktops and then laptops, now iphones and every time all those photos take on a different look, however slight it might be.
    But I have had good success using an auto-level feature in my photo editor to get my photography to look right/closer to what I see in hand and the camera. The coin you posted looked too dark on my monitor showing little luster or brilliance. So...I'll run other coin photos through the editor using the auto-level to see if a different picture of the coin appears. Sometimes, there's no change at all. Occasionally, others have turned totally black. This tells me someone has played with the brightness and contrast too much after the photo was taken. Sometimes the editor will tell me what camera was used for the photo. But I have used the feature with coins I become interested in buying, like on ebay, to help see the coin better than it's been presented. It's about 50/50 in whether an improvement to a coin's image has been made by the responses I've received over the years on the coin forums.
    But I have acquired a couple of coins that were dark with a charcoal appearance but still had some glow about them.
    But I'll go ahead a remove what I posted since I have learned what I had set out to learn and the photo change now serves little purpose.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file