Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those that consign to Great Collections: how have you done moving low cost common pcgs coins?

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have come the the point where everything must go. 700+ pcgs coins and assorted dansco books, low cost raw coins, junk silver.

The highest value and CAC stuff I plan to try sellingo on eBay, but all the other pcgs and ngc will most likely go to GC for a quick liquidation attempt.
I was wondering how much of a loss I might take with basic stuff like Jefferson’s, low grade buffalo, 1900s and later type sets.

I have won some shocking low priced auctions on GC, and also seen some staggeringly high final prices on basic stuff on GC. This leaves me uncertain on where I might end up if I ship them everything.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion would be to arm yourself by taking out a three month subscription to the Greysheet to get an idea of wholesale values. Coin dealers might actually be your best bet for the lower value material. Unless you already have a reputation on eBay, GC would most likely get your strongest bids. The CAC material should be an easy sell. Please keep us posted as to your results.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    GC allows for starting bids to be set. I will consider doing that when I use them again.

At least high enough so I don't feel like I'm giving anything away. Maybe 65 or 70% of what I think is a reasonable hammer. Room for action, and if not, well, at least it isn't pennies on the dollar (just nickels and dimes).

THIS ^

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Use the BST option. I like to shop there before spending my money elsewhere

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the BST (as mentioned) is a good place for some of the lower value items, GC does seem to get some spirited bidding for many items but the fees could really add up. Whatever you choose I hope you have a good outcome.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have more time to turn around material HA is a good option. Ebay buy it now with offers is a good option if you want to wait for the right collector to come along. I've had stuff for well over a year before I get a good offer. GC is a large machine to run and some of their items fall through the cracks, though most items bring reasonable prices.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would do the opposite. The cost of selling low grade material is much higher on GC than the cost of higher priced material.

And some material will be better just flipped to a dealer as the cost of shipping alone might be more than bid/ask spread.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would do the opposite. Low value to eBay, high value to GC.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe try selling slab boxes full on eBay ...

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely post some in the BST.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

For common coins you need the lowest fees. EBay or BST are probably your best bets there. For the nicer stuff you want competition and I think GC would be a much better bet than eBay. You can always try the BST for those too if they are reasonably easy to price.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

>

BTW, I sold a postcard this week that I listed 10 years ago. Lol. Cha ching!

I thought you were flipper.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use GC, be certain to confirm the address for proceeds payment.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    If you use GC, be certain to confirm the address for proceeds payment.

Good advice for eBay return address too!

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had mixed results with GC. If you have time BST could be a good option.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve personally done better on eBay, for certified coins in the $50 and under range. I expect it’s because there are way more eyeballs over there. Probably more newbies too. Don’t get me wrong, I love GC, just not for low end widgets.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

>

BTW, I sold a postcard this week that I listed 10 years ago. Lol. Cha ching!

I thought you were flipper.

Some things flip quick. Others flip slow. Lol

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I love building modern type sets by making my own through bulk submissions, so I always have lots of extras. I do well on GC, but my goal isn’t to make a profit. My goal is to recoup most of the cost involved with making the coins I keep.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of how great a resource Russ was, such a hard worker and knowledgeable guy. I miss his "Fresh Meat" coin flipper off self. When he passed away suddenly he carried so much information to the grave...

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I have come the the point where everything must go. 700+ pcgs coins and assorted dansco books, low cost raw coins, junk silver.

The highest value and CAC stuff I plan to try sellingo on eBay, but all the other pcgs and ngc will most likely go to GC for a quick liquidation attempt.
    I was wondering how much of a loss I might take with basic stuff like Jefferson’s, low grade buffalo, 1900s and later type sets.

I have won some shocking low priced auctions on GC, and also seen some staggeringly high final prices on basic stuff on GC. This leaves me uncertain on where I might end up if I ship them everything.

Thoughts?

Ouch, hope you stick around.
    700+ pcgs slabs and then others and some raw and silver... That is a lot of listings. Don't know how many could be combined but if not already a regular online seller this could be an unwanted task. One though, if I recall correctly you are in S.Cal. area, and if so the Long Beach show is less than 2 weeks. Might try to pre-coordinate and see if some of the material could be sold there in one day trip. Here is a link to dealers if that is a possibility. Remember companies like Heritage are more than an auction site. As noted by others estimate all the auction fees (and possibly the shipping as the bidder might reduce that amount from their bid) and get a rough net to you auction estimate (yes still have the ups and downs of the auction). Then maybe check what it could be sold for wholesale at Long Beach or a dealer in the area. With all the variety collecting you have these can be tougher to deal with. Good luck.

https://www.longbeachexpo.com/exhibitor/list/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d use GC for the slabbed coins, price them at $1 to start and let them rip. Probably would have them sell through 100 per week for 7 weeks, and I’d make it a point to hand deliver them the coins at a show to avoid shipping that massive pile. Sit back and collect the check, and avoid shipping 700 packages yourself. Some people do enjoy their life outside of the post office.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    I’d use GC for the slabbed coins, price them at $1 to start and let them rip. Probably would have them sell through 100 per week for 7 weeks, and I’d make it a point to hand deliver them the coins at a show to avoid shipping that massive pile. Sit back and collect the check, and avoid shipping 700 packages yourself. Some people do enjoy their life outside of the post office.

For me, it’s worth every dollar not having to deal with packaging and complaining.

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

I've always been happy with the results achieved from GC, but what I have sold via them is earlier type, Morgans,.... so not sure how what you have would do. As you have a sizeable amount to sell, why not send them a box or two and give them a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file