Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Proof Peace Dollar

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern proof dollars are not on my radar. No detail, I suspect the Mint farmed them out to China.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I prefer the look of the prooflike Peace and Morgan overstrikes by @dcarr to these Mint products!

• Options

Geeze - rough crowd…

I like them better then the uncirculated versions. Also wish they would strike them same way as the originals. No real cartwheel and they don’t have same kind of luster.
    But, it is a proof peace dollar and I’ve always wanted one … so there! 😜

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the mint would sell more coins if they reverted back to 50
    60s style of proof coinage. Some DC some
    Cameo and most shiny. You get what you get no returns no refunds. There would not be 200,000 thousand coins all looking identical. Think of the grade and destination range you would have. There would be some big winners in every issue

Martin

• Options

In hand these are very attractive coins. Looking at a photograph of the coin, magnified 10x or more does not do the coin justice.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these because I wanted a Peace Dollar in Proof. When the Roosevelt administration started to offer Proof coins to the general public in 1936, there would have been Proof Peace Dollar in the set if they had been issued for general circulation that year. The Peace Dollar series ended in 1935 so there wasn’t one. This kind of fills that “hole.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

bought 2, they're beautiful.

• Options

I didn’t intend to buy two, but I was sent two

• Options
    MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Honestly, I was disappointed with mine. The Mint’s extreme cameo finish looks artificial compared to the natural cameos from the 50’s. I would rather have seen the Mint do a brilliant proof finish.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MJD said:
    Honestly, I was disappointed with mine. The Mint’s extreme cameo finish looks artificial compared to the natural cameos from the 50’s. I would rather have seen the Mint do a brilliant proof finish.

>
    It's apples and oranges, of course. But I'd also like a brilliant proof coin.

• Options

@MJD said:
    Honestly, I was disappointed with mine.

I feel more so about the uncirculated versions - I wish they would use the same finish as the original coins, thick luster and cartwheels, etc

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish mine showed up looking nice. Had a big scuff in the left obverse field, along with other areas that look like it was touched by -something-. Very disappointed by this, I'd probably call it a PR65. I would have been better off just buying someone's PR69 outcast. I wasn't after perfection but a nice one would have been great.
    I agree about the laser frost on moderns, it's so coarse that there are even visible lines from the laser traversal.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1094430/hows-quality-been-on-the-proof-peace-dollars#latest

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did we start a new thread for this?

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

Because the Proof Peace Dollar is so beautiful :) . It deserves its own thread :D

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

Apparently the first one wasn’t good enough - next question

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

the one look for all coins gives the guy who can only afford to buy one or two the same chance at a perfect coin as the guy who buys 25 or 50 or the dealers who somehow get 10000 coins

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got 5 of them and love everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file