Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DD's ANA Show Report

DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the wee hours of the morning Tuesday I was on the way to the airport. My first flight was scheduled around 5 am out of FLL and I had a layover out of Atlanta. Looking back, this was some of the absolute worst planning on my part and I will go out of my way never to subject myself to an early morning layover again.

I had purchased an early bird badge months back so after I got settled in at my hotel (Kimpton Monaco), I walked to the convention center which was several blocks away and entered the bourse around 11am. I was very pleased with the lighting, the convention center was really nice and spacious. I wasn't looking for anything specific at this show, I was hoping that something would call out to me but I was keeping my options open. Most of my time Tuesday was consumed with networking, catching up with dealers I know, and getting acquainted with dealers that I don't know. I make it a point to try to introduce myself and have a brief conversation with just about everyone, the camaraderie is probably my favorite aspect of this hobby that we know and love. In between my rounds, I would catch my breath at the @numismattack table which I use as a home base. After the first day concluded, we went to dinner at a very mediocre Italian place that I would probably not visit again and I went back to the room. Couldn't sleep worth a crap as my mind was racing to figure out what I was going to try to accomplish the next day, and I dont sleep well in hotels to begin with.

Wednesday I started out the day exhausted and found myself walking aimlessly once again, I was having somewhat of an existential collecting crisis. "What am I looking for?", "What do I want to buy?", "What do I even collect?" 😂. Times like this almost make me wish I was working on a set so that I could have a bit more direction, rather than being an oppurtunistic box o 20 collector. The bourse floor is huge and there were too many coins, I couldn't remember which tables I had already visited, or skipped because they were busy the first time I passed by. Again, most of my time was consumed socializing. I also viewed some auction lots coming up. Went to dinner again with Noah and some other dealers who I don't believe are on this forum, or I would tag them. Morton's this time, Food was great but the service was slow as molasses.

Thursday I had limited time, my flight was in the afternoon but I really wanted to go home with a coin. I was running on fumes and my mental acuity was not good, I had not got a good nights rest in several days. I ended up finding an 1850 $20 in xf40 that I liked and the price was right. I ended up not taking good pictures (Sacrilege, I know) before I submitted it for a reholder with some of my other white label coins. I had brought some of mine with me to get imaged, but I realized that I don't care at all about older white label holders and the plastic was cloudy. Noah talked me into submitting them all for reholder so that I could have nice new plastic and a truview, he should be going to pick them up today and then they can go back to the sticker factory for a re-bean. I also ended up buying a monster toned proof ASE for my girlfriends birth year, and one dark side coin I thought was cool.I got a quick nap in at the room before I went back to the airport for my first of 2 flights. Second flight got delayed a couple hours and I made it home about 3am.

Some forum members I had the pleasure of connecting with-

@lermish (We talk almost daily but this was the first time I could put a face to the name)
@justindan
@Tomthemailcarrier
@Boosibri
@Dscoin
@ParadimeCoins
@johnny010
@keyman64

There may have been others that I can't recall, and there was one gentleman named Tom that I don't remember his user handle. He specializes in S mint Liberty Gold Eagles, if anyone knows feel free to tag him. Said he hasn't been active on the forum lately. There were some others I really wanted to meet but I just ran out of time. I regret that we didn't arrange a formal forum meetup somewhere, ill try to take the lead on that for the next big show.

General Observations-

1. The show was quite busy, often times I couldn't visit the table I wanted because they were swamped.

2. There were some really nice coins on the floor, it seems like this show had a better selection for what I collect vs Fun or CSNS.

3. The market has softened in some areas. Some generic gold issues (bullion +) are even very optimistically valued at CDN/CPG levels, and wholesalers were ready to make deals with some of the shrapnel they've had in inventory.

4. Pricing of PQ generic gold wasn't weak but it wasn't moon money either, seems like a more realistic market overall.

5. Rarities and better date gold with extreme eye appeal is still strong as ever. A lot of really nice mid 5 figure and low 6 figure coins disappeared quickly after Tuesday. One dealer who specializes in very expensive gold sold almost all his inventory.

6. Bullion premiums have basically evaporated.

7. I am not a fan of the general area surrounding the convention center and near the hotel I was at. I was pretty uncomfortable when I had to stop in the local rite-aid for some Tylenol, I kept my watch in my backpack when I walked to the show and made sure to keep my head on a swivel at all times. Next time I will make sure to stay at the closest hotel to the convention center.

8. Layovers are the bane of my existence.

Newps-

Cleaned and retoned but it wasn’t expensive and it looks cool in hand

Nice coin, a bit waxy but the price was fair and I liked it.

Petty right? Nice little souvenir for my better half

Other pics-

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a really great time, wish I had had more energy to head out to dinner. Next year in Chicago, the land of direct flights!

I looked at that Pattern Trade Dollar also along with her sisters, absolutely gorgeous. I was kicking around making an offer for one of the silver ones but unfortunately the guy wouldn't break up the trio (although I'm sure I could have offered a massive overpay and convinced him) and $90k for the three wasn't going to happen.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry we didn't catch up Dan ... really wish you'd have stayed and joined us for dinner on Thursday. Thanks for the call! :)

Nice report, and yes, I agree ... it was a great venue even if there were some shady characters milling around the streets surrounding the Convention Center. Security was pretty damn good, and generally that spatial awareness makes a big difference. Thursday morning two BHNC guys and myself were getting cased as we walked over (and we were close to the Center), but when I turned and looked at him dead in the eye, I think he decided we may not be the easier targets. I may have been a little hung over, but I wasn't that hung over.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report!

I saw you once in passing but you looked like you were on a mission so I figured I’d say hi later.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

We stayed at the AC Hotel by Marriot and it was a short walk to Convention. We enjoyed the room.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2023 11:09AM

are you getting a special label? i love 1850's

• Options

@steveben said:

No, just wanted nice slabs that weren't all ratty looking

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having accommodations as close to the show as possible is a huge benefit for many reasons, for that lesson alone I'd say you had a great trip. Can't wait to see the TV images of those golden beauties.

Also, the 8 Reale is a total winner. Great strike on it. Congrats and thanks for a sweet show report.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and interesting pickups, DD!
    Thanks for posting.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. I really need to get to one of these shows!

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice summary ... I remember the feeling like a kid in a candy shop at the few big shows I attended 20 years back. It seemed at every table I felt like collecting something more and different.
    PS Nice pattern pick up - I love copper these pieces

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom is @burdell, most knowledgeable person about $10 libs ever.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report . . . .and several verrrrry nice coins you picked up.

Drunner

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, look forward to seeing your TrueViews!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

It was great talking to you multiple times Dan, I hope to catch up with you more at the next show and maybe go out to dinner. I look forward to you only getting direct flights from now on :smiley:

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

Wednesday I started out the day exhausted and found myself walking aimlessly once again, I was having somewhat of an existential collecting crisis. "What am I looking for?", "What do I want to buy?", "What do I even collect?" 😂.

Glad to know I’m not the only one this has happened to. 😂

Mine: “Why is everyone else finding coins to buy? Did I really just call that coin a ‘dreckwidget’ ? Who am I?!”

I’ve packed protein bars ever since, travel and lack of sustenance does strange things to the mind.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, I don’t mean to harp on your travel plans, but why aren’t you flying direct in & out of Orlando on spirit for $40-$50 each way? It will save you so much time and headaches to make the slightly longer drive to that airport versus delays & layovers.

Also, perhaps the more interesting way to get your 4 coins in shiny new holders would have been to submit them for regrade. Potentially could have gotten a + or a bump up in grade, and you’d ultimately still get new holders for them. Only would have cost a little more, but to me would have been well worth it.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Again, I don’t mean to harp on your travel plans, but why aren’t you flying direct in & out of Orlando on spirit for $40-$50 each way? It will save you so much time and headaches to make the slightly longer drive to that airport versus delays & layovers.

Also, perhaps the more interesting way to get your 4 coins in shiny new holders would have been to submit them for regrade. Potentially could have gotten a + or a bump up in grade, and you’d ultimately still get new holders for them. Only would have cost a little more, but to me would have been well worth it.

Would also risk losing the stickers with a new cert (however unlikely it might be). When I’ve sent with photos of the old holder, the coins have passed but I still got a disclaimer that they were being reviewed as if they were a fresh submission and it wasn’t guaranteed. Would be enough to give me pause for coins at that price point even if they are rock solid.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, Dan!
    Thanks for taking the time to share. Love the new purchases as well!

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 5:09AM

Great report Dan. I will seriously consider attending next year given the rave show reviews. The limited flight options to Pittsburgh was one thing that held me back—getting to Chicago next year should be easier and more reliable.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great report.
    Reports like this raise the bar.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great report. It was fun talking with you on the phone while you checked out some coins.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent show report. Really like your new purchases. I can count on my fingers with one hand the number of coins I’ve bought at coin shows. Safety for me is a primary concern and I would not go to a show if I couldn’t stay very close to it in a city I’m not familiar with.

• Options

@1madman said:

I might consider that next time if its the only way to get a direct flight. Orlando is still 3 hours away from me, so I can imagine on a return flight home coming in at night, id really hate to drive 3 hours after I land and i'm already spent.

As to submitting them for regrade, I didn't feel like spending the extra money on show grading or dealing with a headache at CAC. Wanted to go down easy street and just get them new holders with the same cert number. As to the coins themselves, they are all pretty fairly graded but they are coins that are very expensive to begin with, and the differential between grades isn't really enough to try to upgrade them. If they upgrade by a full grade, they also could be failed at CAC the second time around.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submitting them for reconsideration for + grade might make sense for expensive coins especially if PCGS has in show specials. Certification numbers remain the same, your coin might upgrade, and you get TrueViews. Only downside is it’s more expensive and if your coin upgrades another trip to CAC.

I flew on Spirit once and would never again fly with them. I’m tall and felt like I was in a sardine factory with extremely uncomfortable seats that don’t recline.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report DD. Thank you for posting.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I bought one of those Moffat $20’s when they were a helluva lot cheaper.

• Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Was great seeing you there Dan!

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, great read.
    Congrats on some nice pickups! Can’t go wrong with a Type 1 DE, when unsure exactly what to buy!👍

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reports are getting better and better. I am living vicariously through the reports.

we last bought a few generic $20 gold in January. Price seems to be bending but we haven't yet found the right deal.

We've been slowly buying one step up ($2500- $3500 price point) since April as that currently makes sense for us.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@steveben said:

No, just wanted nice slabs that weren't all ratty looking

i see they discontinued the retro labels...i used to get those whenever i felt a slab needed replacing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file