Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Sample slab

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a CAC sample slab today, it says "Inaugural sample" It is too thick to fit in a pcgs box and not as tall as an NGC slab. Seems like a good holder but I would have liked it to stack with pcgs slabs. Mine is a 2000-P virginia quarter but the slab does not give that detail.

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, we have a thread dedicated to the subject here. From what I understand, they do stack (somewhat) with PCGS holders. CACG boxes are in production now.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

Oops - I will try to delete my thread.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 6:03AM

The old Teletrade storage boxes will take them. They take my NGC, ICG, and ANACS slabs too along with PCGS.

Perhaps it’s time somebody came out with a universal slab storage box. They would sell like wildfire.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said: "Perhaps it’s time somebody came out with a universal slab storage box. They would sell like wildfire."

Lighthouse Intercept PCGS/NGC Track Box
    Description
    Archival quality protection made especially for PCGS and NGC coins with the box lined with Corrosion Intercept. The box securly holds 20 PCGS or NGC encapsulated coins including the latest generations of slabs. Note that this box does not have the inner boxes (like the double protection boxes) but that the coins cannot move around inside the box because they are held firmly in place by tracks along the sides. These boxes are similar in size to the plastic boxes sold by PCGS and NGC but with the added protection of the Intercept Shield technology and the versatility to work for multiple brands of slabs. Intercept Shield acts as a neutralizing agent cleansing the air around the coin protecting it from the harmful effects of corrosion.
    Capacity: Holds 20 slabs by PCGS, NGC, ANACS, QUICKSLAB, and more.
    Overall size: 10 1/4 x 3 x 3 3/4" (260 x 75 x 95 mm).

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

The lighthouse boxes are great. I’ve 100% switched over to them because of the Intercept technology.

• Options

Will look on the bay pickup some.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 this is an off topic question (that may have been answered previously)

What is your user name origin/about? It is fun (for me) to say Clackamas, and I have always been curious.
    It is a username I like, along with the clever Cladiator title @Cladiator uses. (I think Cladiator’s reason is a fondness for clad coins IIRC)

Coingratulations on getting a CAC sample.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a big skeptic but based on my sample slab, I am very pleasantly surprised by by the clarity and "lightness" and clean lines of the slab. Whether it is secure and hold up against scratches etc remain to be seen.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2023 9:31AM

@CommemDude said:
    I was a big skeptic but based on my sample slab, I am very pleasantly surprised by by the clarity and "lightness" and clean lines of the slab. Whether it is secure and hold up against scratches etc remain to be seen.

The build quality of the slab is what I am most impressed with. Clearly a ton of R&D went into that. It appears to be super strong, super light, and the clarity of the plastic is just outstanding. I would love to know if scratches (If they even scratch?) can be buffed out like they could on a PCGS slab or if they're a lost cause like NGC plastic.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

I have an old PCI sample slab stashed away somewhere……

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2023 8:27AM

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

The build quality of the slab is what I am most impressed with. Clearly a ton of R&D went into that. It appears to be super strong, super light, and the clarity of the plastic is just outstanding. I would love to know if scratches (If they even scratch?) can be buffed out like they could on a PCGS slab or if they're a lost cause like NGC plastic.

Everything you have mentioned I agree with. The thing I don’t like is the thickness of the slab, I would say much more than a PCGS slab. Why they needed to build it like Fort Knox is beyond me. I will not buy their slab for that reason alone, and I probably am in the minority here but I really don’t like the thick feel

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping for a thinner slab than the other tpgs. Less material between me and my coins. But it was not to be.

3 services makes an unstable market. I’d expect cacg to be acquired by the owners of PCGS within 5 years.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

Everything you have mentioned I agree with. The thing I don’t like is the thickness of the slab, I would say 30-40% more than a PCGS slab. Why they needed to build it like Fort Knox is beyond me. I will not buy their slab for that reason alone, and I probably am in the minority here but I really don’t like the thick feel

I don't necessarily love the way it feels in hand, when you run your finger round the rails it does seem sort of sharp at the corners. For me, I think the pros outweigh the cons but I can understand your point of view. If my house were to flood or fall into a sink hole, I think these holders would stand the best chance of survival.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2023 8:41AM

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

Everything you have mentioned I agree with. The thing I don’t like is the thickness of the slab, I would say 30-40% more than a PCGS slab. Why they needed to build it like Fort Knox is beyond me. I will not buy their slab for that reason alone, and I probably am in the minority here but I really don’t like the thick feel

What about buying the coins that happen to be in their slabs? It baffles me that someone wouldn’t buy a coin, simply because the thickness of the holder wasn’t to their liking.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Walkerlover Posts: 334 ✭✭✭ August 6, 2023 10:16AM edited August 6, 2023 10:27AM
    @DeplorableDan

» show previous quotes
    Everything you have mentioned I agree with. The thing I don’t like is the thickness of the slab, I would say much more than a PCGS slab. Why they needed to build it like Fort Knox is beyond me. I will not buy their slab for that reason alone, and I probably am in the minority here but I really don’t like the thick feel

What about buying the coins that happen to be in their slabs? It baffles me that someone wouldn’t buy a coin, simply because the thickness of the holder wasn’t to their liking.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

What about buying the coins that happen to be in their slabs? It baffles me that someone wouldn’t buy a coin because the thickness of the holder wasn’t to their liking.

Why do you feel that way. I always enjoyed the sleek feel of PCGS slabs and would never buy NGC coins for that reason unless I intended to cross them. I try to buy PCGS coins in older holders as they are the sleekest coolest thinnest holders without prongs. I made one exception for a pretty Buffalo nickel, but a penny or dime absolutely gets lost in a prong holder. The thickness of the CACG slab was unnecessary unless the intention is to prevent cracking out of their coins.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

What about buying the coins that happen to be in their slabs? It baffles me that someone wouldn’t buy a coin because the thickness of the holder wasn’t to their liking.

Why do you feel that way. I always enjoyed the sleek feel of PCGS slabs and would never buy NGC coins for that reason unless I intended to cross them. I try to buy PCGS coins in older holders as they are the sleekest coolest thinnest holders without prongs. I made one exception for a pretty Buffalo nickel, but a penny or dime absolutely gets lost in a prong holder. The thickness of the CACG slab was unnecessary unless the intention is to prevent cracking out of their coins.

I feel that way because (other than in very rare circumstances) to me, the coin’s far more important than the holder. And I don’t care too much about how the holder feels, as long as it allows a good look at the coin and protects it well. To each his/her own, however.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My analogy might not be the best but when people buy a painting for some the frame is important. They don’t want to spend any more time or money.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    3 services makes an unstable market. I’d expect cacg to be acquired by the owners of PCGS within 5 years.

Why would having three services lead to instability?

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 2:17PM

@MFeld said:

I agree with you, but the ship has already sailed with regards to the idea that that the coins should matter more than plastic or foil stickers. Collectors have long had their favorite type of plastic. This is just an extension of the quirky behavior.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 9:56AM

My only concern with the slab is if a bus or pickup truck running over it won't crack it, how the heck are we suppose to play the crack out game? Are we going to all have to go out and buy specialty saws now?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    My only concern with the slab is if a bus or pickup truck running over it won't crack it, how the heck are we suppose to play the crack out game? Are we going to all have to go out and buy specialty saws now?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

Coin flipping... I mean collecting is getting much more expensive. The grading fees, shipping and insurance, CAC fees, regrade fees, chemicals, the cutting pliers, and now a saw. :#

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Coin flipping... I mean collecting is getting much more expensive. The grading fees, shipping and insurance, CAC fees, regrade fees, chemicals, the cutting pliers, and now a saw. :#

Why am I getting the feeling that there’s an imminent proliferation of nation-wide electric and battery operated saw shops?

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 2:10PM

Yes my razor saw does a good job for crackouts but:

Did eBay search and sample slab bid up to $105 auction in progress and 1923 CACG MS70 Silver $1 ASE $95, BIN. Interesting. Which one would you choose?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

A half way decent pair of bolt cutters will have no trouble with those slabs. There were a couple videos where they showed them trying to damage or crack the slab. The only real try was the pair of tile cutters...but those are pretty wimpy in comparison to a pair of bolt cutters with longer handles for leverage.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2023 4:00PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

I agree with you, but the ship has already sailed with regards to the idea that that the coins should matter more than plastic or foil stickers. Collectors have long had their favorite type of plastic. This is just an extension of the quirky behavior.

There’s nothing at all quirky about favoring certain holders. Putting aside the nostalgia and collectibility of older holders you need to factor in the asthetics and that’s where you go wrong. The clean coin visibility of a no prong holder cannot be disputed. Prongs are a distraction. It’s not JUST THE COIN it’s the overall viewing experience that counts, whether you like it or not.

Thickness of a holder matters as thinner holders are more attractive and comfortable to hold in the hand. The best holder were the rattlers as it was very thin and provided maximum viewing visibility, but it was defective in its manufacture. Bring back an updated technology suitable version of the rattler.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

There’s nothing at all quirky about favoring certain holders. Putting aside the nostalgia and collectibility of older holders you need to factor in the asthetics and that’s where you go wrong. The clean coin visibility of a no prong holder cannot be disputed. Prongs are a distraction. It’s not JUST THE COIN it’s the overall viewing experience that counts, whether you like it or not.

Thickness of a holder matters as thinner holders are more attractive and comfortable to hold in the hand. The best holder were the rattlers as it was very thin and provided maximum viewing visibility, but it was defective in its manufacture. Bring back an updated technology suitable version of the rattler.

I’m not saying that having a plastic preference is per se quirky. I’m saying completely ruling out an entire class of coin based on the holder is crazy. For a rare/better example, plastic can be changed.

• Options

P.S. I hate prongs too, but I would never pass on a truly special NGC coin because I hate the prongs. That is not to say that I wouldn’t contemplate a crossover.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

>

I’ve heard reports that the new holders are excellent for viewing the coins they contain and attractive, as well. But apparently, even if accurate, that doesn’t matter to you. Because you’ve already decided that because you don’t like the thickness of the slab, you “will not buy their slab for that reason alone…”.

As I already posted, that baffles me. But as I also already posted, to each his/her own, however.
    Hopefully, you will find the coins you want in the holders you want.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Walkerlover said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

I’m not saying that having a plastic preference is per se quirky. I’m saying completely ruling out an entire class of coin based on the holder is crazy. For a rare/better example, plastic can be changed.

I understand now your point. No worries. If it’s rare and not obtainable otherwise you should go for it regardless of the plastic. One exception for me would be a dime or penny as they are too small to present well and get lost in the newer holders.

I must compliment CACG on an amazing holder otherwise. Light with incredible optical clarity, and it appears to me less prominent more subtle prongs. I will wait hopefully for a thinner Gen 2 holder. Many collectors don’t like the fact that it doesn’t stack so well with their PCGS and NGC plastic either.

• Options

This is going to sound controversial but I think there is another reason for this thick indestructible slab. Not primarily to prevent chips and scratches. They don’t want their product to be cracked out and resubmitted to other grading services. They want complete control of their slab products

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    This is going to sound controversial but I think there is another reason for this thick indestructible slab. Not primarily to prevent chips and scratches. They don’t want their product to be cracked out and resubmitted to other grading services. They want complete control of their slab products

I can understand the basis of your speculation. But I’m sure they know that those who want to crack out the coins badly enough, will find a way to do so. And I think the design is aimed at reducing chips and scratches.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 6:01PM

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

I can understand the basis of your speculation. But I’m sure they know that those who want to crack out the coins badly enough, will find a way to do so. And I think the design is aimed at reducing chips and scratches.

Maybe you are correct in what you are saying. Just seems strange after telling collectors that the new CACG slabs will stack with their other TPG slabs, that they would produce such a considerably thicker slab. How important can be scratches and chips be, as most of the newer holders don’t seem to be as vulnerable to them. Also how Apt are collectors going to want to go the considerable trouble of breaking coins out these holders. Perhaps I am wrong and seeing something that is not there.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 7:00PM

I like their holders and as far as thickness my old Teletrade boxes can hold them. When will they hit GC? As far as stacking I stack slabs with same TPG slabs.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2023 12:10PM

@cameonut2011 said:

I've got a $30 Dremel that will saw right through it like butter. Dremel tools have hundreds of other uses too.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

Maybe you are correct in what you are saying. Just seems strange after telling collectors that the new CACG slabs will stack with their other TPG slabs, that they would produce such a considerably thicker slab. How important can be scratches and chips be, as most of the newer holders don’t seem to be as vulnerable to them. Also how Apt are collectors going to want to go the considerable trouble of breaking coins out these holders. Perhaps I am wrong and seeing something that is not there.

It would take me 10 seconds to crack out the coin.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

Agree but that would be an interesting design theme - anti-crackout slab. I think a question might be, how can the slab be cracked open efficiently at a show. Many who do crack outs, do them at shows and submit and get them back there. I know from watching a friend crack out slabs that some have a different way to crack out an old ngc fatty versus a new ngc and similarly on some pcgs. So how to make it work for the new one. At a show I am thinking saws and other similar tools are not going to be happening but then I get surprised often. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2023 9:19PM

@CommemDude said:

So was I. I thought they looked like old “third world” slabs based on the photo mockups a few months ago. But in-hand they look rather nice and the plastic is crystal clear.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally got my sample slab today. My input on the slab in a nutshell.

If a NGC Fatty and a new PCGS holder had a baby….you’d get the CACG slab. I like it.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    Finally got my sample slab today. My input on the slab in a nutshell.

If a NGC Fatty and a new PCGS holder had a baby….you’d get the CACG slab. I like it.

I like it also, the only concern I have heard is a few complaints of the slab scratching easily. I have not done any durability testing myself so that is unknown at this point.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2023 4:39AM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    @Clackamas1 this is an off topic question (that may have been answered previously)

What is your user name origin/about? It is fun (for me) to say Clackamas, and I have always been curious.
    It is a username I like, along with the clever Cladiator title @Cladiator uses. (I think Cladiator’s reason is a fondness for clad coins IIRC)

Coingratulations on getting a CAC sample.

Sorry it took so long to respond. It is a Chinook indian word and the name of my favorite river. native american words make great passwords. Put in some special characters and number - nearly unhackable. It is super great if you use the true meaning in a phrase. It would take 400 trillion years to hack. It is super fun to look up their meaning. I have friends that can still speak it, I am Irish and it is so interesting to hear the difference between Salish and Irish. my daughter speaks japanese, wife french and my son (novice) Chinese.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2023 4:59AM

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@CommemDude said:

I feel that way because (other than in very rare circumstances) to me, the coin’s far more important than the holder. And I don’t care too much about how the holder feels, as long as it allows a good look at the coin and protects it well. To each his/her own, however.

Mark,

There are for some of us gradients in coins. IDGAF about the coin if it is an MS69 2006 SAE. It matters if it is a top pop 1868. Not everyone collects elite level 19th century. I collect all over the board, I probably have 5000 coins, most are worth $20-$40

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file