Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2023 National Thread (Last Batch of Photos added as well as Final Thoughts)

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@burghman said:

@daltex said:

@Vagabond said:

Question: does "BBCE" mean the original packs are present? If so, $1000 seems like a steep premium for FASC.

FASC is “from a sealed case” meaning that the box was pulled right from the case and no one picked through / replaced packs. Non-FASC are “buy at your own risk” - they are promising that the packs inside are legit from the year and product, but can’t promise that they are the original packs that came in the box.

I don’t know about the year shown, but if it’s common knowledge that boxes could easily be picked through to ID the desirable packs, maybe the $1K premium for FASC makes sense?

No, I understand that, but doesn't BBCE have some sort of designation like "36 Packs" for a box that appears "put together"?

That sounds familiar but not positive of the circumstance. Maybe if BBCE themselves puts the box together? Like if someone brings them a box with 30 packs and BBCE offers up 2 to complete it and wrap it?

Jim

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

hey Nathaniel1960 ,

Very Nice... :)

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@Vagabond - I certainly appreciated your write-ups on the National and your excellent pics. As one who is unable to attend, your posts and pictures gave me a great deal of enjoyment. Best of luck finding your '84 Donruss Mattingly in a 10.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted a thread before I saw this post. See thread with a couple of questions regarding cards from these packs…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2023 7:14PM

Any info on how the box was found or surfaced? 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if that just has the 1-50 gray back versions?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Here is my walkthrough video that I did today. I haven’t watched it but hopefully it gives you a good idea of just how big this show really was.

https://youtu.be/fzMs1nG3beg

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

That 1954 box is great.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    Here is my walkthrough video that I did today. I haven’t watched it but hopefully it gives you a good idea of just how big this show really was.

https://youtu.be/fzMs1nG3beg

Great interview with Jeff from Card Country at about 45:00. Th cards in his case are amazing and looks like he still had a bunch left at that time. He wasn’t kidding when he says nice for the grade!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

That 1979 super cello fb box doesn't come up for sale often.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the great postings!
    I saw that 1968 3-D Clemente (serial # ending in 270) at the Philly Sports Card show in September with a $100K price tag so maybe a bargain now? :wink:

Daniel
  • Options

W/antiperspirant and deodorant a “hot” item at this National…it will be known as the BO National.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marc, It was great seeing you as well. Great recap and stay in touch.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Great report!

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing!! This is one of the most comprehensive reports that I've ever read. Love your determination and discipline to stick with a buying plan and barely waver. Congrats on the pick-ups. Your compassion, knowledge and love of the hobby shines brightly in addition to the camaraderie you shared with fellow collectors and dealers.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the show. I was there just on Thursday and I was not able to make it to all the tables or see everything which differed from the 2021 National. I only look for vintage wax or vintage baseball, so I will just "skip over" any tables that are modern focused. Even doing so, I didn't get to see everything at the show.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marc, great post…. And sweet Fanny pack!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Marc, great post…. Apparently saying f-a-n-n-y isn’t allowed on here but I wanted to tease you about your sweet pack you had there.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Marc, great post…. And sweet “Fanny pack.”

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited July 31, 2023 10:06AM

Duplicate post as below

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Marc, great post…. Apparently saying f-a-n-n-y isn’t allowed on here but I wanted to tease you about your sweet pack you had there.

The fanny pack was just purchased on Amazon for like $12 a few days before. In the past, I would see people wearing one but this year I said, why not. I would rather have that on than to be carrying a bookbag as I have in the past years. I love how everything was accessible right in front of me without having to take my bookbag off and search for things. It very convenient.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the next national?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

2024 – Cleveland (IX Center), July 24-28

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Wonderful writeups and updates. I hope to make it to one in the next couple of years. :)

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:

@stwainfan said:

2024 – Cleveland (IX Center), July 24-28

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.
    Mine is not so good, I will probably not be attending any more Nationals, this was my 4th.
    Decided to celebrate my birthday by getting VIP packages for each of us and bring my wife along to make it a vacation as well. She's a collector too (not baseball cards) and understands my love for the hobby.
    We live about 6 hours from Chicago and drove. Still not sure how to pay the tolls, will probably be fined and incarcerated if I ever return to Illinois.
    Got to the Holiday Inn O'Hare and was told we would be charged an additional $18.00 per night for parking, bringing the rate to $200.00 a day.
    Then was informed that the shuttle was primarily for the airport, and we would be expected to wait up to 1 1/2 hours for a ride to the convention. Ended up spending $ on an Uber. Holiday Inn, you suck!
    Got to the convention, got a VIP bag with some nice "freebies"! 👍
    It was hotter in the building than it was outside. Sweat was pouring down my face the entire time. 🥵 No fans around the perimeter either. Went to the restroom at one point and floor was flooded. Reminded me of a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert back in the day. Yuck!
    Only had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle ride back to hotel. YAY!
    The next couple of days was more of the same, although the temperature seemed a bit cooler in the building Saturday. Still uncomfortably warm.
    Met some fantastic people and had some great conversations with fellow collectors!
    Found 1 Harmon Killebrew item that would have been an upgrade for my set; a PSA 9 rookie card for $35,000.00. Too rich for my blood.
    Decided to buy some unopened and RIP for my birthday 🎁. Have always wanted a Pujols rookie and since Ichiro was the same year, decided on that. Very hard to find unopened from 2001, found a couple of unopened boxes and a Topps factory set. Of course no Albert's (he wasn't in the Topps factory set, even though the dealer said he was) or Ichiro's and the Ichiro from the (sealed) Topps set was badly damaged.
    Not complaining about not pulling the cards I was "hunting", that's to be expected. The Topps set was horribly stuck together, but I don't think that's why the Ichiro card was damaged.
    Had some delicious pizza for dinner!
    Left Sunday morning, couldn't wait to get back home.
    Gasoline was about $5.00 a gallon, quite a bit more than I am used to paying.
    I spent a lot of money on tickets, hotel and other necessities for a trip and feel like it was not worth it.

The heat at the convention center really made it hard to enjoy the atmosphere of the biggest show of the year.
    To top things off we battled traffic (bad in Chicago), got to Navy Pier park, had some delicious ice cream, and my wife got sick. 🤮
    I'll continue to collect from home and go to the few local shows, but no more Nationals for me.😢

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

So much amazing stuff there. Incredible. The hobby is healthy.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai. Concerning the tolls, when you were on any toll roads, they took a picture of your license plate and they will bill you. We were billed within a month and my wife paid with a check. Credit card may be an option.

• Options

Several years ago I paid the hotel shuttle $20 to drop me at the show. I saved my knees for the show.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    @JoeBanzai. Concerning the tolls, when you were on any toll roads, they took a picture of your license plate and they will bill you. We were billed within a month and my wife paid with a check. Credit card may be an option.

Thanks! I'll be watching for the bill.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@Tibor said:
    Several years ago I paid the hotel shuttle $20 to drop me at the show. I saved my knees for the show.

The shuttle worked most of the time.
    I wanted an early start on Saturday and was told it would be a 90 minute wait. Really wanted to give the hotel a piece of my mind, but there's not much left up there, and I figured it wasn't going to change anything, so I didn't complain. The review I left was pretty bad, not that it will help.
    Luckily, there was a guy who had an Uber coming, so I gave him $10.00 and we shared.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond

Great stuff, man; almost feels like I was there.

Mattingly collector?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @Vagabond

Great stuff, man; almost feels like I was there.

Mattingly collector?

I certainly am. I lived in Miami the whole time he was with the Marlins and I met him a ton of times. I have a bunch of stuff singed by him. I did own his 1984 Topps and Fleer in PSA 10 about 9 years ago but sold them when they were each around $125 to help support bigger purchases. I always figured I can buy them back at any time. Unfortunately, I waited too much time as they are now more expensive but still affordable.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2023 7:44PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tibor said:

Here's a web-site where you can pay your tolls: https://www.illinoistollway.com/unpaid-tolls.

If you do wait for a bill, I don't think you're going to like the "late fees".

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tibor said:

Here's a web-site where you can pay your tolls: https://www.illinoistollway.com/unpaid-tolls.

@detroitfan2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tibor said:

>
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

• Options

Last 5 years, 6 trips to Rosemont. Waited for the mail. Paid with check and/or on-line
    Late fees kick in after 30 days, I think.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2023 8:17PM

@Tibor said:
    Last 5 years, 6 trips to Rosemont. Waited for the mail. Paid with check and/or on-line

You may be 100% correct. As Joe said "Still not sure how to pay the tolls, will probably be fined and incarcerated if I ever return to Illinois." As I travel certain parts of the US, I am still completely baffled how we are in the year 2023 as a civilization and (A) the concept of a toll road still exists and (B) a person of average intellect such as myself has no idea whether I am on a toll road or not half the time, and when I am pretty sure I am on such a road, I have no idea how to pay. God forbid I'm in a rental car. As Joe said, jail time is a high probability in that case.

• Options

@Tibor said:

I just did the on line payment and it said fee was 0.00. That can't be right, can it?
    Hopefully, if I owe (assuming I do), they will bill me.
    I hate toll roads, glad we don't have any here.

• Options

Came through Wisconsin. What can I expect in the way of fees?

• Options

Here it is. Google "Toll roads Chicago area". All the info you need. When we use
    the GPS it tells us 30 miles in advance of the toll road. You can then adjust
    your trip. No GPS?, there are all kinds of signs alerting you. Relax. Rental car??
    The rental car company pays it, then bills your CC. Read the the contract. This
    isn't going to be a bunch of money, $20 probably.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Here it is. Google "Toll roads Chicago area". All the info you need. When we use
    your trip. No GPS?, there are all kinds of signs alerting you. Relax. Rental car??

Personal vehicle. I've done what I can.
    Moving on.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tibor said:

Moving on.

Joe his reaming out was intended at me for whatever reason.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tibor said:

Moving on.

Joe his reaming out was intended at me for whatever reason.

There are plenty of reasons. :D

That's for saying I'm slow on the base paths.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great writeup and cool photos. I liked Matt Miller, he provided some excellent information.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Marc, great pack> @Vagabond said:

@DBesse27 said:

The fanny pack was just purchased on Amazon for like $12 a few days before. In the past, I would see people wearing one but this year I said, why not. I would rather have that on than to be carrying a bookbag as I have in the past years. I love how everything was accessible right in front of me without having to take my bookbag off and search for things. It very convenient.

Sorry for the duplication, it was giving me a hard time. And good for you for not giving a F!

Yaz Master Set