Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabbed Generic Morgan / Peace $ / Good Investment at this time!

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 26, 2023 11:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Looking retool on Classic. PCGS Generic Morgan / Peace Dollars MS64 & higher on buy list.

Good buy or just spend that on slabbed bullion, graded low pop world coins & currency?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65 generic slabbed Morgans ended up being a good buy when they fell to the $85-$100 range in 2019. After the 2020 price bump, most were selling for $150-$175.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 11:58AM

Yes the 65’s in the $100 range super buy. Bought a lot of them back then but sold out of those during Pandemic / super profit. Could they fall that low again?

MS65 Morgan’s have recently gone up to $221 CPG but for us cheapo buyers MS64 $124-$130 CPG not a bad idea (recently upticked). So stack of 6 for my case at shows 2 in 65, 4 in 64.

With their large pops see them at $75 for 64, $125 for 65.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in my opinion at those prices for the most common dates.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would a dealer be "investing"? You buy and sell and make money on the spread.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If I had a crystal ball, I would be a billionaire... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I have gone cross-eyed staring into my crystal ball. Still have not seen a single glimpse of the future.

• Options

@Dropdaflag said:

@ricko said:
    If I had a crystal ball, I would be a billionaire... :D;) Cheers, RickO

I have gone cross-eyed staring into my crystal ball. Still have not seen a single glimpse of the future.

Perhaps cross-eyed is in your future...

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

The word investment in a coin forum...........................hard pass.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Antiquated thought. It is an asset class just as wine, whiskey, sports cards etc...

People park money in coins just as they do in other places. To respond that coins aren't investments or any derivation of that phrasing is disingenuous and naive.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 6:43PM

@Relaxn said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Antiquated thought. It is an asset class just as wine, whiskey, sports cards etc...

People park money in coins just as they do in other places. To respond that coins aren't investments or any derivation of that phrasing is disingenuous and naive.

No problem whatsoever with your synopsis.

I thought about, I laughed about it, then I forgot about it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Relaxn said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You can apply the term to anything from stocks to Beanie Babies. That doesn't mean that some people aren't allowed to wince at the application of the term, especially as it gets tossed around by hobbyists. To fall to acknowledge that is naive and disingenuous. How many hobbyists choose their "investments" based on future appreciation only?

• Options

Well with generic $ up across the board (new 3Q CPG mag) think will buy some more.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Relaxn said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You can apply the term to anything from stocks to Beanie Babies. That doesn't mean that some people aren't allowed to wince at the application of the term, especially as it gets tossed around by hobbyists. To fall to acknowledge that is naive and disingenuous. How many hobbyists choose their "investments" based on future appreciation only?

I would like to point out that @relaxn said "or any derivation of that phrasing". Whether or not we choose to use dirty word "investment" doesn't change the fact that many collectors do have serious money parked in their collection, and the hope that the value increases over time. Sounds very similar to an "investment" to me, regardless of whether or not future appreciation was the primary factor of the purchase. Would it be better for us to use the term "store of value" to avoid these semantic disagreements?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Why would a dealer be "investing"? You buy and sell and make money on the spread.

I am a dealer not looking for a quick flip on common stuff.

I invest in my business and myself.

100% investment.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Relaxn said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I would like to point out that @relaxn said "or any derivation of that phrasing". Whether or not we choose to use dirty word "investment" doesn't change the fact that many collectors do have serious money parked in their collection, and the hope that the value increases over time. Sounds very similar to an "investment" to me, regardless of whether or not future appreciation was the primary factor of the purchase. Would it be better for us to use the term "store of value" to avoid these semantic disagreements?

Be totally honest, you would wince at your grandma referring to her Precious Moments as an investment...

I don't even like "store of value" in most cases. There are certainly people who buy DEs, for example,as investment/ store of value. But, again, most hobbyists buy what they like. They often kid themselves that the price will appreciate. But they don't usually (some do) plot a strategy based on price appreciation. If they did, there would be fewer date/ mint mark sets and fewer Mint products.

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

100% investment.

Yeah, yeah, we've had this conversation before. 99% of dealers buy to sell not to hold.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

Preservation of wealth can be anything.

If you grew up where I grew up... it was a garage full of tools, vehicle parts or safes full of guns.
    Things get tight or lose your job then dad or grandpa goes out and sells some guns or sells some vehicle parts. This is the reality. Fight against if you like but I live(d) it.

Enjoy the arrogance of trying to tell someone else that the way they "invest" or preserve their wealth is not as good as how you say. Because that is what you are doing.

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    Preservation of wealth can be anything.

If you grew up where I grew up... it was a garage full of tools, vehicle parts or safes full of guns.
    Things get tight or lose your job then dad or grandpa goes out and sells some guns or sells some vehicle parts. This is the reality. Fight against if you like but I live(d) it.

Enjoy the arrogance of trying to tell someone else that the way they "invest" or preserve their wealth is not as good as how you say. Because that is what you are doing.

No one said that. We tried to explain why that word triggers people.

Enjoy the arrogance of telling people they aren't allowed to have an opinion.

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I like to invest my money on coins and spend my money on beer. The strategy is simple enough. No matter how bad things get, I will always have the stored wealth of my coins to be able to buy more beer. B)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:
    I remember(early-mid1990's) buying generic PCGS/NGC Morgans for $25/MS63 & $35/MS64.

Guess I shoulda bought more

Not necessarily. Today's dollar is worth half of what its value was in 1995. The real return on generic Morgans over this 25-30 year period would have been abysmal, especially considering how well conventional investments appreciated during this time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absent daily necessities/bills, I consider every asset that I purchase to be an “investment” and really don’t understand the negativity associated with the term.
    When I buy coins I’m not buying something that I anticipate will ‘crater’ in the future although am fully aware this may indeed happen.
    I just don’t see a problem buying something I enjoy and having the added benefit that it could possibly appreciate in value sometime in the future.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2023 12:22PM

Acctg wise Purchase of inventory is an investment in the business (or investment portfolio). DR Cash CR Cash or AP in purchase journal. When inventory is sold its cost is matched against the revenue from the sale in the period the sale happened (matching principle). JE wise this would be in sales journal with DR Cash or AR then CR Sales plus entry for the inventory movement DR Cost of Sales, CR Inventory.

A friend sets up at the annual national show (big gun dealers come in) paying a $400 table fee. He says there is very little hope Gross margin from sales will be enough offset that big fee (higher sales volume needed) bc of the competition from the big gun dealers. He books the the table fee to advertising expense as he hands out his business cards to visitors at his table and bourse applications for show he manages. Plus info his upcoming local show.

I may do that show in the future but incurs hotel expense. Competition wise don’t match up well with big gun dealers on big ticket USA Classic stuff but my graded low pop world coins and currency (just as scarce as their stuff if not lower pop but much cheaper cost for me) can make a game of it working my angle.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Relaxn said:

@OAKSTAR said:

No problem whatsoever with your synopsis.

I thought about, I laughed about it, then I forgot about it.

It's another form of speculation. That's what practically all "investment" as currently defined actually is, profiting off of price changes without producing anything. The financial industry and financial promoters in collecting don't want to hear it because "investing" sounds a lot more prudent than speculation.

If anyone wants to buy coins for speculation, that's up to them, but that's what they are doing.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Acctg wise Purchase of inventory is an investment in the business (or investment portfolio). When inventory is sold its cost is matched against the revenue from the sale in the period the sale happened (matching principle). JE wise this would be in sales journal with DR Cash CR Sales plus entry DR Cost of Sales, CR Inventory.

You are correct when buying inventory for a business it is an actual investment. That's the difference between a dealer and a collector.

• Options

Whether or not we choose to use dirty word "investment" doesn't change the fact that many collectors do have serious money parked in their collection, and the hope that the value increases over time. Sounds very similar to an "investment" to me, regardless of whether or not future appreciation was the primary factor of the purchase. Would it be better for us to use the term "store of value" to avoid these semantic disagreements?
    >
    To be clear, I don't think "investment" is a dirty word in coin collecting. I call it a form of speculation because financially, it's indistinguishable from it.

To me, it's a matter of psychology. If the person can afford it and wants it, it doesn't make any difference. Just know the actual risks being taken and don't rationalize it as something else.

The financial services industry uses the term "investing" all the time when it's actually speculation. It's much more effective marketing. It's particularly useful to convince the masses that unprecedented risk in the most inflated markets in history are magically low risk and prudent.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2023 6:57PM

Yes I can see where players here have different goals.

I don’t consider my coins and currency just a collection or speculation. They are a fluid inventory investment (buy /sell) which at some point in time will be SCH C profit or loss. Quick turnover at a good margin is critical. Any operating expense of the business will be deducted from Gross Margin to arrive at Net Income (loss). The Income from the business finances another project.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

i read a quote from an investment broker / coin collector he said never buy coins as an investment. i dont know why or if he had motives but it was in print

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

If you can do the PCGS 65’s with a CAC, Better yet,

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

100% investment.

You've said this many times and in a variety of ways, but I can't be the only one here who is completely mystified by your business model.

• Options

@daltex said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

100% investment.

You've said this many times and in a variety of ways, but I can't be the only one here who is completely mystified by your business model.

Semantics.

He sells all the time. He is just willing to hold to get his price. He doesn't like it when I mention turnover as an important business parameter.

• Options

In my opinion, it all depends on your definition of "investment." I've heard several very prominent coin dealers state coins are NOT an investment because they don't produce interest, dividends or some other form of passive income. But to be fair, many people throw the word "invest" around as if meaning "doing something positive for myself or my family" (i.e. "I invested in a new dishwasher" or "I invested in some new work clothes"). Coins, to me, are an asset that can potentially appreciate in value or depreciate in value, like all other asset classes. I don't know that I'd call them an investment. But to be clear, if you feel like calling them investments based on your definition, do it! No skin off my back. Cheers!

Numismatic Asset Management
    "helping rare coin buyers avoid critical mistakes"

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

100% investment.

My business model is to have the very best eye appealing mint error coins available to my clients all in one place.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rarecoinanalyst said:
    In my opinion, it all depends on your definition of "investment." I've heard several very prominent coin dealers state coins are NOT an investment because they don't produce interest, dividends or some other form of passive income. But to be fair, many people throw the word "invest" around as if meaning "doing something positive for myself or my family" (i.e. "I invested in a new dishwasher" or "I invested in some new work clothes"). Coins, to me, are an asset that can potentially appreciate in value or depreciate in value, like all other asset classes. I don't know that I'd call them an investment. But to be clear, if you feel like calling them investments based on your definition, do it! No skin off my back. Cheers!

To be fair, there are revenue producing investments and non-revenue investments. Collectibles of any stripe are the latter. But so is Tesla stock. A savings account at almost any bank these days is the former. Whether an investment is good or bad doesn't depend on whether it produces revenue.

It becomes a problem when one enjoys his investment. And it's far easier to enjoy the luster or toning on a Morgan than a share of Tesla.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file