Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here is a Daniel Carr piece that I'll bet most of you didn't even know about, much less seen.

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2023 6:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is a Daniel Carr piece that I almost accidentally spent. Luckily I caught it before doing so and sent it off to ANACS.

@dcarr has listed them on his site here (scroll to the bottom): Moonlight Mint edge lettered plain edge Sac $

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2023 6:40AM

They slab those? Have to get some of mine into plastic!

I know there was at least one other text that he did (two sections of the edge, if I recall correctly).

There were also custom texts that he did (my "Kilroy Was Here" being one).

Also, I think I sent him some coins for the "Darwin Rules" text after he offered some examples on ebay, so there could be more than the website shows.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blah

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daang, vbitis goin’ around the forum.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

An earlier discussion with more photos. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/994123/a-different-kind-of-daniel-carr-collectable

And thanks - answers my question whether ANACS slabs these!

• Options

@carabonnair said:
    An earlier discussion with more photos. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/994123/a-different-kind-of-daniel-carr-collectable

Thx for the link.

I learned there - thanks to my own post :# - that I did in fact have DCarr do some nickels for me.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace did you find it in a normal roll or in your change? Or was it one you originally received knowing what it was and almost mixed in with some regular examples?

Either way, that’s a cool find and it’s nice that you caught it before spending it!

• Options

@dcarr said:

@JBK said:

@carabonnair said:

Thx for the link.

I learned there - thanks to my own post :# - that I did in fact have DCarr do some nickels for me.

I've updated the section where I document the edge markings, based on the information presented here and new recollections (scroll to bottom of page here):
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_dollars_list.htm

I looks great! Thanks for the additional details.

"In Gold We Lust" - that's the one I also recalled. I picked one up on ebay (from you). I think you had said that double quote necessitated two passes through the machine.

P.S. - one of my orders included a few miscellaneous coins such as a British penny and a half dollar with weak reading, but you did mention on the page that a few other coins might have been done.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a DC piece or just edge lettering applied to a genuine coin?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat piece. I could have spent it too if I did not look at the edge. DC work is awesome.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

From the link above to Dan's website: "Edge Lettering Applied to Normal US Mint Smooth-Edge Coins."

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are these selling for? Has anyone seen one of these in actual circulation?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Subtle Darwin commemorative, what's not to like. I would like to find a specimen like yours one day...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@MWallace said:

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Blah

I knew this kind of crap was coming. Second post no less. If anyone is not interested, just move on. I'm not interested in EVERYTHING collected by board members, but I'm interested in hearing what people collect and think it's great that we have a place to discuss all of numismatics.

The irony is that poster's handle.

Please elaborate!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blah

Nah!

peacockcoins

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Ok so this is cool, now I have to go back and look....Thank you for sharing

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also a Dan Carr fan / have several of his coins and I do believe they will be valuable someday to collectors.
    But it didn’t bother me that someone went “blah” - because I think it’s good to get a range of opinions even if some are negative.
    I remember seeing a survey about these coins / tokens - and most collectors liked them but some didn’t. Both sides had interesting points. I wish I could find that original post - may have been more than one.

My favorites are the peace overstrikes - especially high relief - and the covid tokens I really like.

• Options

@carabonnair said:
    I got mine back from the ANACS last week:

Nice!

Soon 'll be posting a thread with another DCarr edge lettered coin I got slabbed recently.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blah

Your comment is not appreciated or warranted. If you don't have something to add to the post - just don't comment. I feel like I'm telling this to a child.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is at ANACS now.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    They slab those? Have to get some of mine into plastic!

I know there was at least one other text that he did (two sections of the edge, if I recall correctly).

There were also custom texts that he did (my "Kilroy Was Here" being one).

Also, I think I sent him some coins for the "Darwin Rules" text after he offered some examples on ebay, so there could be more than the website shows.

ANACS and ICG slab Daniel Carr pieces. Mine are in both slabs. I prefer the ICG ones because I think the ANACS slab is ugly. It's a personal thing and I'm too cheap to cross them. LOL.

• Options

@JWP said:

Blah

Your comment is not appreciated or warranted. If you don't have something to add to the post - just don't comment. I feel like I'm telling this to a child.

Blah. There is more than one child around here who enjoys your cartoon posts.

• Options

@MWallace said:

@gumby1234 said:

From the link above to Dan's website: "Edge Lettering Applied to Normal US Mint Smooth-Edge Coins."

If he put them into circulation could he get in trouble for defacing a coin?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins If he put them into circulation he would be out of business quickly. He would be losing tons of money.

I would guess that he could get into a load of trouble if putting them into circulation as well.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Just to clarify, this thread is about DCarr edge-lettered coins. The coins are actual US Mint products where he has added his own (or custom) edge-lettering.

There are no legal issues with it because it was not done for fraudulent purposes, and it is not commercial advertising. (Those are the sorts of alterations that are prohibited on coins). They can be spent/circulated with no issues.

• Options

I understand his fantasy coins, look-alike, and overstrikes avoid the law but there might be something with these. I guess counterfeit paper is more important if there were. Anyone know where the government rules are printed.
    A week ago someone posted that you cannot melt old Lincoln cents.

• Options

@Married2Coins said:
    I understand his fantasy coins, look-alike, and overstrikes avoid the law but there might be something with these. I guess counterfeit paper is more important if there were. Anyone know where the government rules are printed.
    A week ago someone posted that you cannot melt old Lincoln cents.

This subject has been discussed on this board to adnauseam. Do a search and you should find many discussions. Refer to @JBK 's post above. He is correct.

You can't melt copper cents because the copper value has risen above face value. If they were melted there would become a Cent shortage virtually overnight.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    You can't melt copper cents because the copper value has risen above face value. If they were melted there would become a Cent shortage virtually overnight.

Considering that copper was removed from cents in 1982 which was over 40 years ago, I doubt that even 1% of the cents in current circulation are copper so I doubt allowing the copper cents to be melted would result in a cent shortage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

Considering that copper was removed from cents in 1982 which was over 40 years ago, I doubt that even 1% of the cents in current circulation are copper so I doubt allowing the copper cents to be melted would result in a cent shortage.

True.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

Where I live, a good 20% of pennies are copper. Living in a small town might have to do with it.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

Where I live, a good 20% of pennies are copper. Living in a small town might have to do with it.

My copper rate isn't quite that high but it did go up several years ago when copper prices pulled back a bit and at the same time copper hoarders realized they had no way to cash in.

Of course, the melt ban also applies to nickels.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

You are correct, it has nothing to do with the metal issue. 31 U.S. Code § 5111(d) limits melting or taking coins out of the country for the purpose of insuring a sufficient amount for commerce by the plain wording of the text. But just imagine how many cents there are hiding in little jars throughout the country inhibiting commerce. ;)

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Blah

Maybe he is commenting that Darwin doesn't rule. hmmm

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 12:35AM

@braddick said:

@MWallace said:

Blah

I knew this kind of crap was coming. Second post no less. If anyone is not interested, just move on. I'm not interested in EVERYTHING collected by board members, but I'm interested in hearing what people collect and think it's great that we have a place to discuss all of numismatics.

The irony is that poster's handle.

Which one? FranklinHalfAddict?

Or someone with the handle "MWallace" holding a coin stamped "Darwin Rules"? That's the irony I saw.

(The theory of natural selection is now called the "Darwin Wallace Theory of natural selection", giving late credit to AR Wallace who posted his research on natural selection simultaneously and independent of Charles Darwin. One would not expect someone with (presumably) the surname "Wallace" to be holding a coin stamped "Darwin rules" after his namesake didn't get the recognition that Darwin received for decades.)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darwin a veritable Hero of Biology & wish I could locate one of these......Many now consider the Theory of Evolution to be a Principle....Wonderful deductions by a naturalist of the old school.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 6:56AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Darwin a veritable Hero of Biology & wish I could locate one of these......Many now consider the Theory of Evolution to be a Principle....Wonderful deductions by a naturalist of the old school.

At the time I made the "Darwin Rules" edge markings, there was an uproar from some people about "In God We Trust" not appearing on the new President Dollar coins (it was actually on the edge of most coins, although some coins had missing edge lettering in error). I thought the whole affair was blown a bit out of proportion. So a few coins don't have an obvious "In God We Trust" on them. I didn't see that as a major problem. The Native-Head/Bison nickel minted until 1938 did not ever have the motto.

So in addition to being a test, and for practice using the marking apparatus, I chose the wording as a sort of satire on the situation at the time.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an interesting "early Daniel Carr" piece. I'm glad that you didn't spend it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file