Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does a "QA" sticker add any value?

Comments

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:
    Having the QA sticker would indicate that both coins are superior.
    No, you did not say it, but Coinscratch did:
    " You should not make assumptions that I was somehow bashing NGC. Especially when everyone on earth including yourself can agree their grading standards are inferior. "

According to the video, it means they are "solid for the grade," not necessarily superior. Presumably, just not a "C" coin.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:
    Without actually having the coin in hand and then having the actual training to grade a this coin - no one can say whether this coin was properly graded or even if it was crossed over from a PCGS holder

Then why did you ask in the first place? Already knowing the answer to your own original question. Take another look at the El Static Picture. Sure the lighting could make the hits looks twice as large as they really are but, seriously your original question is based on YOUR original pic. LOL. Yes, someone can say and I just did.

When you come to the table with a loaded question expect a loaded answer.
    Now, show us all the same coin in a different light that might show off the positives rather than the negatives.
    And try asking that question again...
    You might get a different answer.

And remember this Uncle Dano :) The same people that criticize your pics and say they can't grade based on a static pic are the same people that fall all over themselves based on a pic.

BTW: I love your avatar pic, sweet toning there.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    And another thing which goes back to my point that James does know his stuff. He knew that sticker would fly on the OP coin in a NGC slab. Do you really think he would have stickered the OP coin had it resided in a PCGS slab, I think not.

Knowing James, I can only image he saw the OP coin, its grade, and decided it worthy of a sticker, the company supplying the grade notwithstanding. James is a man of exceptional knowledge and integrity. If he says he thinks a certain way, I believe him. In the two decades I've known him, he's never given me a reason to think otherwise.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2023 10:56AM

@Coinscratch said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@UncleDano said:

@Coinscratch said:
    The grade prolly is right for a NGC slab.

Has nothing to do with NGC Coinscratch. Here is one on a PCGS, does that mean PCGS is inferior TPG?

I don't have a horse in this race, but I don't think that's a great example to illustrate your point. Based on the provided photo, That coin looks considerably nicer than the OP coin.

I own coins from both TPGs. Though I generally think NGC can be a tad "looser" than PCGS at times, it doesn't necessarily mean "inferior", its just subjectivity and interpretation of the standards.

Clearly that coin is superior...Or is it just the photo. Until someone can convince me and the world why NGC coins sell (for the most part) for half as much I'll stand my ground. Apparently the elephant is bigger than the room.

Half???? That's nowhere near accurate. 90% maybe in some cases 80%. Unless there's a missed problem which could happen at either service.

Edited to correct: top pop moderns appear to be the exception

• Options
    edited July 11, 2023 4:32AM

@Coinscratch said:
    And another thing which goes back to my point that James does know his stuff. He knew that sticker would fly on the OP coin in a NGC slab. Do you really think he would have stickered the OP coin had it resided in a PCGS slab, I think not.

I think he definitely would. If his sticker is based on the slab it's in, it's useless.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    Does anyone own a coin with both a QA gold sticker and a CAC gold sticker? Would 2 golds add more value?

They don't generally sticker the same coins. Maybe Ikes?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@UncleDano said:
    Without actually having the coin in hand and then having the actual training to grade a this coin - no one can say whether this coin was properly graded or even if it was crossed over from a PCGS holder

Then why did you ask in the first place? Already knowing the answer to your own original question. Take another look at the El Static Picture. Sure the lighting could make the hits looks twice as large as they really are but, seriously your original question is based on YOUR original pic. LOL. Yes, someone can say and I just did.

When you come to the table with a loaded question expect a loaded answer.
    Now, show us all the same coin in a different light that might show off the positives rather than the negatives.
    And try asking that question again...
    You might get a different answer.

And remember this Uncle Dano :) The same people that criticize your pics and say they can't grade based on a static pic are the same people that fall all over themselves based on a pic.

BTW: I love your avatar pic, sweet toning there.

He actually asked whether the sticker added value not whether the coin was graded accurately.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@UncleDano said:

@Coinscratch said:
    The grade prolly is right for a NGC slab.

Has nothing to do with NGC Coinscratch. Here is one on a PCGS, does that mean PCGS is inferior TPG?

I don't have a horse in this race, but I don't think that's a great example to illustrate your point. Based on the provided photo, That coin looks considerably nicer than the OP coin.

I own coins from both TPGs. Though I generally think NGC can be a tad "looser" than PCGS at times, it doesn't necessarily mean "inferior", its just subjectivity and interpretation of the standards.

Clearly that coin is superior...Or is it just the photo. Until someone can convince me and the world why NGC coins sell (for the most part) for half as much I'll stand my ground. Apparently the elephant is bigger than the room.

Half???? That's nowhere near accurate. 90% maybe in some cases 80%. Unless there's a missed problem which could happen at either service.

I'll buy every NGC coin you can find for 60% of the PCGS sale price. You'll make 20% on every coin you can buy at 50%.

Most of the time substantially less than half. Here is the first one I pulled this morning.

• Options

That was the 1960 FS.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2023 7:31AM

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

That may apply to 1960 FS nickels, but it is not generically true. And it is likely the FS designation not the coin grade.

You will see something similar with FB and PL designations.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

That may apply to 1960 FS nickels, but it is not generically true. And it is likely the FS designation not the coin grade.

It will apply to most modern (1980+) proof 70's as well. And the reason is well founded, as NGC will give out a 70 to a grade with serious and obvious defects like this:

• Options

That was the 1960 FS. > @jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

I think I'm done trying to figure out the differences in TPGs. It really doesn't apply to me anyway as I'm partial to this one.
    I removed the training wheels last night and almost crashed and burned. And I agree that I used a broad brush and am obviously not 100% correct.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@messydesk said:

@Coinscratch said:

What's in it for him to put a sticker on what you assert is an inferior quality coin just because of the plastic it's in? I can't come up with a way for that to make sense.

Possibly the fee.

Which he collects regardless of whether he compromises his standards because of the plastic surrounding the coin.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    If I collected moderns; I would likely attach a small premium to the QA sticker.

How much of a premium do you think a GOLD QA sticker would add to a coin. Anyone have any idea or experience selling a coin with a gold qa?

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerfan said:
    If I collected moderns; I would likely attach a small premium to the QA sticker.

How much of a premium do you think a GOLD QA sticker would add to a coin. Anyone have any idea or experience selling a coin with a gold qa?

Premium as compared to what? The same coin with a sticker vs without? As others have said, QA coins probably sell for more than usual because they are problem free and solid coins so their average prices will be higher for buyers who buy the coin and not the holder or sticker. It is difficult to establish if there is any premium associated with the presence of a sticker vs the improved quality of a coin.

That said, for my moderns valued at $400 or more, I might consider sending them in for stickers. as the $12.50 fee, or 3.1% of the value of a $400 coin should be easy to recoup or not noticeable in the final accounting when the coin is sold.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerfan said:

Probably be smarter just to resubmit to the grading company and get the upgrade. Never seen a gold qa sticker, and I doubt I’d be willing to pay much more for it.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerfan said:

Really depends. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of the gold QA stickers are related to spectacular toning. He doesn't give them out very often.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

James is a straight shooter and QA coins are definitely solid for the grade.
    I refer to Quality Assurance Corporation as the "CAC of modern coins".

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerfan said:

How much of a premium do you think a GOLD QA sticker would add to a coin. Anyone have any idea or experience selling a coin with a gold as.

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@Walkerfan said:

Really depends. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of the gold QA stickers are related to spectacular toning. He doesn't give them out very often.

If it is related mainly to spectacular toning I guess the coin will do the talking regardless of the sticker

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

I think I'm done trying to figure out the differences in TPGs. It really doesn't apply to me anyway as I'm partial to this one.
    I removed the training wheels last night and almost crashed and burned. And I agree that I used a broad brush and am obviously not 100% correct.

PCGS does seem to be harder on moderns. In the end, the coin is still the coin.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

I would prefer to say 'more accurate' or 'more considerate.'

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2023 6:11PM

The jump from 66-67 in CF is $32 to $2500.

Even if you can find that buyer (67 money) on the op coin there are many other things (Gold Coins) competing for him to pick and then spend the change on a 66 1960 5c with possibly a lot of money leftover. So as far as finding somebody buy it in that 67 range goodbye and good luck.

Frankly don’t like the MS67 op coin (other posters above). I guess if somebody won it at auc $150 -$250 they could add prestige to their online store offering it at $2500 Bin / Mo. or a multi-million might buy it - registry.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    The jump from 66-67 in CF is $75 to $3500.

Even if you can find that buyer (67 money) on the op coin there are many other things ($20 DE) competing for him to pick and then spend the change on a 66 1960 5c with possibly a lot of money leftover. So as far as finding somebody buy it in that 67 range goodbye and good luck.

Frankly don’t like the MS67 op coin (other posters above). I guess if somebody won it at auc $150 -$250 they could add prestige to their online store offering it at $3500 Bin / Mo.

Holy cow! I didn’t realize we were talking about this kinda $$!
    You really could buy a nice DE for around this amount, and even a few Type I’s for a little more (Philly’s)
    Whatever you like though, I just didn’t know it was this amount of money!

• Options
    edited July 11, 2023 6:19PM

Sorry it’s $32 in 66 and $2500 in 67. I should have proof read it. The 66 fills the hole good enough for me. It’s really hot out here watering the yard. Going back in for a wine cooler.

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 85 ✭✭

When I posted this, I was asking for any information you might have about the QA sticker. I did not ask for anyone to judge, grade or criticize the 1960 Jefferson nickel. I don't even own this coin, it's a photo from an auction. Maybe I should have just posted the label of the holder.

For those of you who related your knowledge of the QA, and your experiences with James Sego and those who posted very helpful links to video etc., I thank you very much for your input. I learned something new from you and it is appreciated.

As for you who have gone-off on a rant bashing NGC, going out of your way to attack from every possible perspective that you could think of, anything that is not PCGS, and telling me what a crappy coin this is, I am sorry for you and your insane rage. And I am sorry that you do not have the brain power to stay on topic and answer a simple question without going on a tangent and loosing composure. Most people would be better off without your comments at all in this forum. You do not provide anything helpful in any way.

But I guess that is what a forum is for, to get different points of view - even if it has nothing to do with the op question.

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

You post a subpar nickel with a meaningless sticker on the slab, and when we give an honest assessment you bash us?

Lipstick on dreck is still dreck

• Options
    edited July 11, 2023 10:48PM

@1madman said:
    You post a subpar nickel with a meaningless sticker on the slab, and when we give an honest assessment you bash us?

Lipstick on dreck is still dreck

It would appear that some cannot read the op also.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’I was told that any dealer can buy these and stick them on their coins, is this true?’’

This quote was from the initial post here. If this was the case, I think (virtually) everyone would agree the stickers are of little or no value. But, I have no information on this, one way or the other. Is it true that any dealer, ever, was given stickers to place on their own coins at will? Obviously, I can’t answer this. Perhaps the OP can tell us who told him this, or J.S. can stop by to address this “claim”.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

So it's not even your coin :D Well let me edit as well - NO!

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:
    That was the 1960 FS.

I would prefer to say 'more accurate' or 'more considerate.'

Tomayto tomahto. Neither TPGS is actually the arbiter of the actual grading standards. It's equally possible that NGC is "more accurate" and PCGS is "too harsh".

Two words: cabinet friction.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023 6:54AM

Interesting thread. Had never heard of QA. CAC is the only sticker service recognized by the CDN (valuation) so any others a zero issue for me (would not pay more).

Not a serious fan of Jeff 5c nor would spend that (67 money) on that issue - Slabbed MS64-66 works for me unless cheap raw Unc or piece out of circulation at 5c.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

,,> @wondercoin said:

‘’I was told that any dealer can buy these and stick them on their coins, is this true?’’

This quote was from the initial post here. If this was the case, I think (virtually) everyone would agree the stickers are of little or no value. But, I have no information on this, one way or the other. Is it true that any dealer, ever, was given stickers to place on their own coins at will? Obviously, I can’t answer this. Perhaps the OP can tell us who told him this, or J.S. can stop by to address this “claim”.

Wondercoin

Come on Mitch,

You know better than that, while anyone can buy their own sticker (have one made) with their own name on them it is the name on the sticker that matters, only QA Check personal have access to a QA Check stickers. You are implying that JMS passes out loose QA Check stickers for anyone to place on their slabs, you know better than that! At the very least you are promoting a rumor that you know is not true.

Come on Mitch,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2023 7:29AM

@Coinscratch said:

Why is it a NO? Why can't it be a YES at a price that is commensurate with what you and OP think of the actual grade of the coin vs the grade stated by the holder? Just because you don't agree with NGC's opinion of the grade doesn't mean it wouldn't fit nicely in someone's collection if acquired at the right price.

• Options

Excuse me GRANDAM? I am implying …? Take a deep breathe and start over please.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Coinscratch said:

Why is it a NO? Why can't it be a YES at a price that is commensurate with what you and OP think of the actual grade of the coin vs the grade stated by the holder? Just because you don't agree with NGC's opinion of the grade doesn't mean it wouldn't fit nicely in someone's collection if acquired at the right price.

I just mean it’s a no for me I would not pay an extra cent for it. I’m sure there are plenty of collectors out there that would pay a premium to have it. I’m just not the one.
    Now if I saw the coin in hand and liked it enough I might even pay double but not because of the sticker.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023 1:30PM

@wondercoin said:

This quote was from the initial post here. If this was the case, I think (virtually) everyone would agree the stickers are of little or no value. But, I have no information on this, one way or the other. Is it true that any dealer, ever, was given stickers to place on their own coins at will?

No.

• Options

Now if I saw the coin in hand and liked it enough I might even pay double but not because of the sticker.

To answer my own question then, I guess it depends on what the coin looked like. If it looked great then that sticker knows it's stuff and I pay more and if the coin looks bad then well, this thread.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    ,,> @wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Come on Mitch,

You know better than that, while anyone can buy their own sticker (have one made) with their own name on them it is the name on the sticker that matters, only QA Check personal have access to a QA Check stickers. You are implying that JMS passes out loose QA Check stickers for anyone to place on their slabs, you know better than that! At the very least you are promoting a rumor that you know is not true.

Come on Mitch,

Mitch did not promote the rumor. He asked Mr Sego to refute the rumor.

• Options

Thank you jmlanzaf for setting the record straight.

And, Mr. Sego was nice enough to spend the better part of an hour today reaching out to me on CCE to discuss quite a few issues surrounding his stickering service. He made it crystal clear to me that the rumor was not accurate. But, also, that he didn’t plan to jump into this “circus” thread (that quoted word was mine). We discussed a number of related issues as well, agreed on most issues and concepts, and, overall, had a very pleasant conversation (while enjoying my late afternoon/early evening in London). Cheers.

Wondercoin

• Options

Here is the contents of the email I received from Heritage Auctions:

Heritage Auctions
    To: You
    Fri 6/23/2023 4:56 PM

Hello,

I have been updated with the following information. There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin. There are also similar PQ stickers. They carry no premium, and we remove them whenever we encounter them to prevent cases of confusion with market value.

I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Stephanie Gray | Client Services
    HERITAGE AUCTIONS
    214-409-1150| 877-HERITAGE (437-4824) | Fax: 214-409-1425
    2801 W. Airport Freeway, Dallas, TX 75261
    (Northwest corner of W. Airport Freeway & Valley View Lane)

• Options

@UncleDano said:
    Here is the contents of the email I received from Heritage Auctions:

Heritage Auctions
    To: You
    Fri 6/23/2023 4:56 PM

Hello,

I have been updated with the following information. There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin. There are also similar PQ stickers. They carry no premium, and we remove them whenever we encounter them to prevent cases of confusion with market value.

I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Stephanie Gray | Client Services
    HERITAGE AUCTIONS
    214-409-1150| 877-HERITAGE (437-4824) | Fax: 214-409-1425
    2801 W. Airport Freeway, Dallas, TX 75261
    (Northwest corner of W. Airport Freeway & Valley View Lane)

Clearly Stephanie does not know what she is talking about.

• Options

GRANDAM- Now do you see why my original post was very useful to the situation (and the furthest thing to “promoting the rumor”)! Now, James can reach out to Heritage and try to seek to correct this misunderstanding. Also, the OP appears to have been posting this in good faith - if I was a new collector, I would have accepted the position of Heritage without question. Yes?

Wondercoin

• Options

Mitch,

The way you phrased your comments it read to me that you didn't know if James just "handed out stickers to anyone to place on their slabs" or not. My point was that you knew better than that. You know he would not do that,,,,,agree?

JMHO,,,

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023 4:21PM

As you know Stephanie was referring to generic stickers in general. She obviously does not have a working knowledge of QA Check. I believe she made good faith comments but she is just not educated on the matter.

I have a feeling she is about to get educated soon. ;)

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023 4:28PM

@GRANDAM said:
    As you know Stephanie was referring to generic stickers in general. She obviously does not have a working knowledge of QA Check. I believe she made good faith comments but she is just not educated on the matter.

I have a feeling she is about to get educated soon. ;)

Stephany was not referring to general stickers, she received the photo of the 1938 FS Jefferson w/QA posted here and the auction date of the sale. She was passing on the information that she had received from other staff who were supposedly researching the question.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023 4:41PM

I still think whoever gave Stephanie the info is not educated on QA Check. I am saying that they believe it to be just a sticker that anyone can buy. They looked at the sticker and lumped into a category such as "PQ" "WOW" "NEATO" stickers that can be bought by the sheet. That clearly is not the case. They may have seen the QA Sticker but they didn't understand the person or company behind it.

"There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin."

The above comment proves whoever said that does not understand what QA Check is.

Not everyone who works for a coin company or auction house is educated on everything.

I am sure this will be cleared up shortly.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I still think whoever gave Stephanie the info is not educated on QA Check. I am saying that they believe it to be just a sticker that anyone can buy. They looked at the sticker and lumped into a category such as "PQ" "WOW" "NEATO" stickers that can be bought by the sheet. That clearly is not the case. They may have seen the QA Sticker but they didn't understand the person or company behind it.

"There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin."

The above comment proves whoever said that does not understand what QA Check is.

Not everyone who works for a coin company or auction house is educated on everything.

Yes, I agree.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe @MFeld can assist in the internal communication at Heritage? Stephanie Gray does not seem to recognize the influence she might have with her name connected to HA. She is definitely mistaken. Her comment is also disparaging to the business. She (or worse yet, Heritage) could be sued.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

I'm thinking tomorrow morning PDT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file