Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does a "QA" sticker add any value?

Comments

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 92 ✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I still think whoever gave Stephanie the info is not educated on QA Check. I am saying that they believe it to be just a sticker that anyone can buy. They looked at the sticker and lumped into a category such as "PQ" "WOW" "NEATO" stickers that can be bought by the sheet. That clearly is not the case. They may have seen the QA Sticker but they didn't understand the person or company behind it.

"There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin."

The above comment proves whoever said that does not understand what QA Check is.

Not everyone who works for a coin company or auction house is educated on everything.

I am sure this will be cleared up shortly.

I contacted them originally on 4-25-2023 about the QA sticker, and followed up every few weeks to check on a response. So they had several months to "research" my question about this. So how do you research something for almost three months and come up with the garbage she emailed me? Could be that nobody researched at all - and somebody made up a story to give me, to get me off their backs.

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main problem is that to my knowledge there are no standards or governing boards for sticker issuers. Anyone can issue a sticker. What criteria do you use to deem one stickering company legit and another one not? Sounds like the industry needs a sticker authority/governing board.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:

@GRANDAM said:
    I still think whoever gave Stephanie the info is not educated on QA Check. I am saying that they believe it to be just a sticker that anyone can buy. They looked at the sticker and lumped into a category such as "PQ" "WOW" "NEATO" stickers that can be bought by the sheet. That clearly is not the case. They may have seen the QA Sticker but they didn't understand the person or company behind it.

"There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin."

The above comment proves whoever said that does not understand what QA Check is.

Not everyone who works for a coin company or auction house is educated on everything.

I contacted them originally on 4-25-2023 about the QA sticker, and followed up every few weeks to check on a response. So they had several months to "research" my question about this. So how do you research something for almost three months and come up with the garbage she emailed me? Could be that nobody researched at all - and somebody made up a story to give me, to get me off their backs.

This is a perfect example of a situation where if you don't know what you are talking about it is best to keep your mouth shut. I respect HA and if I knew nothing about QA Check I would have accepted/believed Stephanie's response, which is very troubling IMHO.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking Stephanie Gray probably knows her stuff and felt the same way many others here do about the sticker. Peel it off and buy the coin, not the weighed down plastic.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Maybe @MFeld can assist in the internal communication at Heritage? Stephanie Gray does not seem to recognize the influence she might have with her name connected to HA. She is definitely mistaken. Her comment is also disparaging to the business. She (or worse yet, Heritage) could be sued.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will check into it and address it with Heritage later this morning.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2023 3:28AM

@UncleDano said:

@GRANDAM said:

@ProofCollection said:
    The main problem is that to my knowledge there are no standards or governing boards for sticker issuers. Anyone can issue a sticker. What criteria do you use to deem one stickering company legit and another one not? Sounds like the industry needs a sticker authority/governing board.

The problem is partly Mr. Segos. Stephanie is right. Anyone can buy "quality assurance" stickers. A lot of equipment comes which such commercial stickers applied.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2023 11:11AM

I don’t really believe any sticker in itself directly adds value. If the coin does not make the team well the sticker a moot issue for me. Like painting the walls when the roof is on fire.

It’s the coin and where it falls in the grade range for me, it’s demand, and eye appeal, luster strike, etc. Coins that have gone bad in the holder, darkly tarnished, spotted, unattractive / the sticker won’t help them. Then is the deal there for me - I don’t want be overpaying vs what can realistically sell it for. Don’t just whip your wallet out for stickered material - examine the coin!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I don’t really believe any sticker in itself directly adds value. If the coin does not make the team well the sticker a moot issue for me. Like painting the walls when the roof is on fire.

It’s the coin and where it falls in the grade range for me, it’s demand, and eye appeal, luster strike, etc. Coins that have gone bad in the holder, darkly tarnished, spotted, unattractive / the sticker won’t help them. Then is the deal there for me - I don’t want be overpaying vs what can realistically sell it for. Don’t just whip your wallet out for stickered material - examine the coin!

Then you haven't been paying attention to CAC sales. and it makes sense when you think about it. In the case of CAC, there are now collectors who won't buy any coin without a sticker. In fact many collectors are now suspicious of all unstickered coins. This reduces the potential buyer pool for unstickered coins. Fewer possible buyers is statistically going to average out to lower prices, and I think this is reflected in sales prices. The CAC sticker is the only example of this though that I know of. QA will still has a lot of work to do to gain the market acceptance that CAC has captured.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    He knows his stuff regarding these coins. I'll go through a box of submissions at a show now and then when I'm set up at his table. Coins that don't sticker that isn't obvious overgraded coins are typically unattractive, have spots, or there is a mark that makes you say, "I wish that mark wasn't there." Black spots on copper are deal breakers above MS64. Gold stickers are given out very sparingly and have to be really special looking coins in addition to being very strong for the grade or undergraded. An ASE graded 68 won't get a gold sticker because it looks like a 69 unless it also has really nice toning.

What do you think the chances of an flashy lusterous bright red undergraded copper Lincoln getting a gold sticker is? You seem to know what will fly with this company. Or is it only toned or cameo coins that have a shot?

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2023 3:45AM

@UncleDano said:
    I am familiar with the CAC stickers, but wonder about the QA stickers I have seen on slabs. Are they an added value to a coin? And who provides these? I was told that any dealer can buy these and stick them on their coins, is this true?

Here is a photo of one
    :

You might come to terms with this sticker after finding/seen a few more QA stickered coins, Learning, how much you agree or disagree with them, come to trust or distrust and respect or disrespect the level of consistency they provide. You are basically looking for the answers to your questions here the QA company has already set up itself to try to answer for you, will you find the kind of consistency you are seeking with them?
    There are quite a few programs out there, from grading companies to superlatives/strike designations to brands, labels and stickers, from trustworthy to flowery descriptions and accurate to horrible photography trying to win you over. There are many I completely ignore because they simply do not provide enough consistency and clarity in what I collect in quality. Hope this helps.
    I did like the part at the 8;04 mark in the video when they mentioned full steps. :)
    I could say quite a bit about the coin that was posted. Definitely needs a better photo. An unnecessary trip to the PO is what I always try to avoid. ;)

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    edited July 14, 2023 7:00AM

Frankly “the many collectors who won’t buy unstickered coins” party line does not scare me. It doesn’t even reflect the current big picture of the marketplace lol (CAC slabs vs non CAC). Nor are US Classic coins my only area. Yes I can see somebody getting a $500 or $1000+ coin stickered or paying up for a like CAC piece but not a common date slabbed MS64 1883-O Dollar, 1923 MS64 Dollar - super sellers for me / the Yellowstone ranch show. There is even a Yellowstone Ranch House Coffee out, super coffee.

Can you imagine a dealer show case full of CAC slabs stacked up? That would be 480 slabs.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:
    He knows his stuff regarding these coins. I'll go through a box of submissions at a show now and then when I'm set up at his table. Coins that don't sticker that isn't obvious overgraded coins are typically unattractive, have spots, or there is a mark that makes you say, "I wish that mark wasn't there." Black spots on copper are deal breakers above MS64. Gold stickers are given out very sparingly and have to be really special looking coins in addition to being very strong for the grade or undergraded. An ASE graded 68 won't get a gold sticker because it looks like a 69 unless it also has really nice toning.

What do you think the chances of an flashy lusterous bright red undergraded copper Lincoln getting a gold sticker is? You seem to know what will fly with this company. Or is it only toned or cameo coins that have a shot?

It depends on the merits of the coin. I dare say a flashy, red 66 in a 63 holder would get a gold sticker. At the higher grade levels where there's not as much difference between grades (68 vs 69, for example), there needs to be something else special about the coin, too.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Then you haven't been paying attention to CAC sales. and it makes sense when you think about it. In the case of CAC, there are now collectors who won't buy any coin without a sticker. In fact many collectors are now suspicious of all unstickered coins...

Not only that, but this has caused an increase in PCGS/NGC regrades for the purpose of "killing the cert" if it's been tried and failed at CAC so that it can go to the "hasn't been to CAC yet" state.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2023 7:53AM

Interesting - How can they tell it’s been tried and failed at CAC? Is this some new online tool they have over there?

Well if sending in for regrade due to that don’t forget conservation for ones that may need it.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Interesting - How can they tell it’s been tried and failed at CAC? Is this some new tool they have over there?

They keep track, but it's not public info.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Interesting - How can they tell it’s been tried and failed at CAC? Is this some new online tool they have over there?

Typically by getting the coin back from CAC without a sticker on it.

Well if sending in for regrade due to that don’t forget conservation for ones that may need it.

If there's a red "PVC" sticker on it, then yes.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to echo the positive statements concerning QA C heck and James Sego as an individual.

I believe I was at the first Long Beach when he started the company, and I submitted there at the show. It was a rapid turnaround and he spent time explaining the rationale for each coin I submitted either stickering, or not. I was familiar with him as I bought a few coins many years earlier . . . also from him and was very happy with my purchases.

Jeremy phrased it well. I am glad Mark has cleared up the ensuing confusion, and the only reason I do not continually submit to QA is my penchant for older coinage. I have always regarded James as a (the) leader in the field of modern coinage.

Drunner

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2023 1:04PM

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

It depends on the merits of the coin. I dare say a flashy, red 66 in a 63 holder would get a gold sticker. At the higher grade levels where there's not as much difference between grades (68 vs 69, for example), there needs to be something else special about the coin, too.

Just to add at bit to what Messydesk said, if you are referring to the coin that you sent to CAC expecting a gold and received only a green that coin would not be eligible for a QA sticker. As I understand it QA is only for moderns and even then really only the ones that CAC doesn't review. If you are talking about a memorial Lincoln cent then disregard what I said as I think that would be eligible for a QA review.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

Just to add at bit to what Messydesk said, if you are referring to the coin that you sent to CAC expecting a gold and received only a green that coin would not be eligible for a QA sticker. As I understand it QA is only for moderns and even then really only the ones that CAC doesn't review. If you are talking about a memorial Lincoln cent then disregard what I said as I think that would be eligible for a QA review.

CAC does a handful of memorials, like 72 DDO and 95 DDR as well as a few Jefferson nickels like the 1939 double Monticello. Those would be candidates I suppose to have 2 stickers!

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

CAC does a handful of memorials, like 72 DDO and 95 DDR as well as a few Jefferson nickels like the 1939 double Monticello. Those would be candidates I suppose to have 2 stickers!

Quite true, and I've never used the QA service so I do not know if they also sticker the handful that CAC does.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

No you are mistaken. I spoke to them and they handle all Lincoln pennies from 1909-present. I could submit this 1944 Lincoln, question is if it’s worth the time and effort as the cost is minimal as they are willing to charge me only $5 as a one time submission. But I don’t know if it has a reasonable chance for a gold sticker

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

No you are mistaken. I spoke to them and they handle all Lincoln pennies from 1909-present. I could submit this 1944 Lincoln, question is if it’s worth the time and effort as the cost is minimal as they are willing to charge me only $5 as a one time submission. But I don’t know if it has a reasonable chance for a gold sticker

While gold QA stickers are rare they do not command anywhere near the same type of premium that a CAC gold sticker will and it doesn’t mean the same thing. The QA gold sticker is “reserved for coins with superlative characteristics, which incidentally may also be undergraded”. Basically if it has a super cameo or rainbow toning you might get gold. Your Lincoln is not going to get it. Save your money.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

I don't know who you keep talking to but it completely contradicts the information on their website. They accept all wheat cents and a few memorial double dies. That's it.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

I don't know who you keep talking to but it completely contradicts the information on their website. They accept all wheat cents and a few memorial double dies. That's it.

He’s talking about what Lincolns QA accepts.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

Why are you showing me CAC website when we were discussing QA coins they accept. I was saying QA accepts Lincoln pennies that’s all.

• Options

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

Interesting, that is contradictory to what I have read that QA only accepts moderns, thanks for the clarification and correction.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@Walkerlover said:

@coinbuf said:

@messydesk said:

@Walkerlover said:

@messydesk said:

Interesting, that is contradictory to what I have read that QA only accepts moderns, thanks for the clarification and correction.

Yes no problem. They told me they are allowed to sticker Lincoln’s by JA. Apparently they have a mutual agreement not to conflict with each others coins they grade. JA doesn’t like to grade Lincoln’s they told me, so he doesn’t mind if they do.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’I was told that any dealer can buy these and stick them on their coins, is this true?’’

This quote was from the initial post here. If this was the case, I think (virtually) everyone would agree the stickers are of little or no value. But, I have no information on this, one way or the other. Is it true that any dealer, ever, was given stickers to place on their own coins at will? Obviously, I can’t answer this. Perhaps the OP can tell us who told him this, or J.S. can stop by to address this “claim”.

Wondercoin

Here is a copy of email received from Heritage Auctions:

Heritage Auctions bid@ha.com
    To:You
    Fri 6/23/2023 4:56 PM
    Hello,

I have been updated with the following information.There is no recognized QA sticker. It is something any dealer can buy and stick on any coin. There are also similar PQ stickers. They carry no premium, and we remove them whenever we encounter them to prevent cases of confusion with market value.

I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Stephanie Gray | Client Services
    HERITAGE AUCTIONS
    214-409-1150| 877-HERITAGE (437-4824) | Fax: 214-409-1425
    2801 W. Airport Freeway, Dallas, TX 75261
    (Northwest corner of W. Airport Freeway & Valley View Lane)

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:33PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:32PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:32PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:31PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:29PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:30PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 4:30PM

DUPLICATE

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano Did your Enter key get stuck? :D

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    @UncleDano Did your Enter key get stuck? :D

I read earlier today that there’s a forum glitch and those duplicate posts are probably further examples of it. They’re dated from today, but @UncleDano was last active yesterday.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

???

• Options
    edited August 12, 2023 6:53AM

The only sticker that officially adds value imo is the CAC sticker as it has its own pricing class in CDN / CPG.

Unofficially However any material that is high end will be priced higher by sellers (especially experts in their area) at least cost plus via their markup equation. Low pop graded world material where there is no published pricing above MS60 is already bumped up as gauged by the dealer / expert in that area. Single digit pop items (especially high grade 64 and above) can bring strong money as they are a super deal vs US.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sent several emails to the Idaho site . . . with no response, as listed by some posters above. I hope all is OK with James and the QA crew. I had a load to send in, but cannot seem to contact them.

Drunner

• Options
    edited August 12, 2023 10:17AM

@DRUNNER said:
    I have sent several emails to the Idaho site . . . with no response, as listed by some posters above. I hope all is OK with James and the QA crew. I had a load to send in, but cannot seem to contact them.

Drunner

On the CAC forum @keyman64 posted two coins that he had QA sticker at the ANA show this past week, so from that I am assuming that everything is fine.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@DRUNNER said:

Drunner

On the CAC forum @keyman64 posted two coins that he had QA sticker at the ANA show this past week, so from that I am assuming that everything is fine.

Are you talking about the CACG sample slabs? 😂

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@coinbuf said:

@DRUNNER said:

Drunner

Are you talking about the CACG sample slabs? 😂

Yes, weird but true.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Copycat gimmick. I would not pay more based on that.

"Copycat gimmick. I would not pay more based on that."

I would be less likely to buy or pay less.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:

Drunner

James was wicked busy at the Pittsburg ANA show. I saw him all three days I was there and he was busy every time. He was likely there all week and is still there. I was busy late into the night as well with different functions, not to mention early mornings. The PCGS breakfast was at 8AM on Thursday. I gave him 14 coins to sticker while I was there this week. I went 12 out of 14.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Eagle Eye stickers. 👍

• Options

@dhikewhitney said:

@Smudge said:

Why? The coins I’ve seen with those stickers have tended to be quite nice. While I could understand you saying you wouldn’t pay a premium for them, it doesn’t make any sense that those stickers would cause you to pay less or be less likely to buy the coins.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@Smudge said:

Why? The coins I’ve seen with those stickers have tended to be quite nice. While I could understand you saying you wouldn’t pay a premium for them, it doesn’t make any sense that those stickers would cause you to pay less or be less likely to buy the coins.

The sticker offendeth mine eyes.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    James Sego knows his stuff, so I think it’s a step above gimmick. That said, the reason that coins with stickers are worth more is usually that they’re better coins to start with.

And WAY right you are. CAC stickers don't add value either, they are juat higher quality coins to start.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file