124»

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@Smudge said:
    Copycat gimmick. I would not pay more based on that.

"Copycat gimmick. I would not pay more based on that."

I would be less likely to buy or pay less.

Why? The coins I’ve seen with those stickers have tended to be quite nice. While I could understand you saying you wouldn’t pay a premium for them, it doesn’t make any sense that those stickers would cause you to pay less or be less likely to buy the coins.

The sticker offendeth mine eyes.

Then peeldeth the sticker off thine holder.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@BryceM said:
    James Sego knows his stuff, so I think it’s a step above gimmick. That said, the reason that coins with stickers are worth more is usually that they’re better coins to start with.

And WAY right you are. CAC stickers don't add value either, they are juat higher quality coins to start.

I'm not so sure about that. I've bought many pre-CAC stickers at bargain prices. I know they wouldn't have sold that cheap had the sticker been there.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@Smudge said:

Why? The coins I’ve seen with those stickers have tended to be quite nice. While I could understand you saying you wouldn’t pay a premium for them, it doesn’t make any sense that those stickers would cause you to pay less or be less likely to buy the coins.

I tend to shy away from stickers and grading claims that I don't understand or recognize. For example, "PQ" usually means do not even think about it to me. The same applies to dealers who constantly think they have such PQ coins that the grading services did not grade correctly. For example, asking MS63/Choice money for $20 Gold Liberty that PCGS graded MS61 is a warning to me.

When I go to buy gasoline, all I need to do is check the price and decide how far I wish to go out of my way to get a lower price. This is not the coin collecting model.

I'm not a good enough grader to detect all the nuances and so rely on those I've chosen to trust (PCGS, NGC, CAC, Eagle Eye, and to some extent ANACS, as well as astute poster here including yourself). Now that I've read some posters vouching for James' work I may not disregard his opinion.

• Options

@dhikewhitney said:

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@Smudge said:

I tend to shy away from stickers and grading claims that I don't understand or recognize. For example, "PQ" usually means do not even think about it to me. The same applies to dealers who constantly think they have such PQ coins that the grading services did not grade correctly. For example, asking MS63/Choice money for $20 Gold Liberty that PCGS graded MS61 is a warning to me.

When I go to buy gasoline, all I need to do is check the price and decide how far I wish to go out of my way to get a lower price. This is not the coin collecting model.

I'm not a good enough grader to detect all the nuances and so rely on those I've chosen to trust (PCGS, NGC, CAC, Eagle Eye, and to some extent ANACS, as well as astute poster here including yourself). Now that I've read some posters vouching for James' work I may not disregard his opinion.

I can understand that. But you could entirely disregard any extra opinion on a PCGS/NGC/CAC/Eagle Eye/ANACS coin without paying less for it or being less likely to buy it. In other words, if you have confidence in the grading company and like the coin, there’s no need to punish it, just because its holder happens to have an extra sticker, etc.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I can understand that. But you could entirely disregard any extra opinion on a PCGS/NGC/CAC/Eagle Eye/ANACS coin without paying less for it or being less likely to buy it. In other words, if you have confidence in the grading company and like the coin, there’s no need to punish it, just because its holder happens to have an extra sticker, etc.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returning to the thread . . . . . it is obvious all is OK with James and the crew. I'll just keep trying . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found out that one of my PCGS coins is a QA stickered coin. I had no idea, I guess a previous owner didn't like the sticker and peeled it off. I have no other QA stickered coins to my knowledge and don't even know how to get the missing one put back on. Its a great coin no matter what.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    I just found out that one of my PCGS coins is a QA stickered coin. I had no idea, I guess a previous owner didn't like the sticker and peeled it off. I have no other QA stickered coins to my knowledge and don't even know how to get the missing one put back on. Its a great coin no matter what.

If you go to a major show where James Sego attends he will likely help you out with that. He attends Winter FUN, ANA and many others. When uploading inventory on MyCollect.com, the system checks coins for CAC and QA stickers.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 Thats how I found out about it. I've never been to FUN or ANA shows, maybe a FUN is in the future thou.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    QA reads as "Questionable Authenticity" to me. Did they mean "Quality Assured" ?

This was my take as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    QA reads as "Questionable Authenticity" to me. Did they mean "Quality Assured" ?

This was my take as well.

In the business world, Quality Assurance is the most common.
    http://qacoins.com/

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@fiftysevener said:

@BryceM said:
    James Sego knows his stuff, so I think it’s a step above gimmick. That said, the reason that coins with stickers are worth more is usually that they’re better coins to start with.

And WAY right you are. CAC stickers don't add value either, they are juat higher quality coins to start.

I'm not so sure about that. I've bought many pre-CAC stickers at bargain prices. I know they wouldn't have sold that cheap had the sticker been there.

According to a CAC memo likely authored by John Albanese "CAC stickers do not add value - It is just an easy way to identify coins that are solid for the grade".

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@ProofCollection said:

@fiftysevener said:

@BryceM said:

According to a CAC memo likely authored by John Albanese "CAC stickers do not add value - It is just an easy way to identify coins that are solid for the grade".

To be fair, he has to say that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file