Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

LM Plate Coins (Half Dimes) - Where are they now?

I'm pursuing the 123-coin set of Capped Bust Half Dimes and the Logan-McCloskey book Federal Half Dimes 1792 - 1837 is my bible. Within the last few years I've managed to snag four plate coins (all attributed and True Viewed as they're in my registry set). I'll post them - and hope to see yours here!

1829 LM-16.2 XF45. Page 164

1830 LM-4.2 AU58. Page 175

1830 LM-9.1 MS64. CAC, ex Bareford. Page 180

1832 LM-8.1 AU58. Page 209

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1830 CAC.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the four TrueViews above are pretty close, but the 1830 LM-9.1 pic is a little juiced. My photos are a bit closer to the coin in hand:

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 7:09PM

Many of the plate coins were in the Russ Logan Collection,
    and when it was sold, the photos were archived here:
    http://rob.com/russ/collection/index.html
    So these could be useful for matching plate coins.

Another approach would be to locate the "finest known" coins that are referenced on each LM page,
    as they are not always the plate coin.

• Options

@Cladiator, that's a nice one! And, true confession time here, one of your early posts about that very coin which I came across just recently was a big part of my inspiration to put out a call for plate coin images.

If you're ever interested in entertaining offers on that coin, PM me! B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, as they should be, to be featured. Interesting collecting niche.... though it could prove to be difficult. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    Many of the plate coins were in the Russ Logan Collection,
    and when it was sold, the photos were archived here:
    http://rob.com/russ/collection/index.html
    So these could be useful for matching plate coins.

Another approach would be to locate the "finest known" coins that are referenced on each LM page,
    as they are not always the plate coin.

I did flip through some of the Logan coins last night and compared them to some of the (re)marriages that I have for the same grade. Didn't find a match, but that would be super cool to discover you had a plate coin all along!

The task of "just" finding the 123 coins in the set is daunting enough... I can't imagine one owner holding a significant number of the plate coins, let alone the (then-) finest ones referenced!

I wonder if there's a collection of color images for the LM plate coins or the Logan set? That would be a nice resource...

• Options
    edited October 27, 2022 12:55PM

@Bikergeek said:
    I wonder if there's a collection of color images for the LM plate coins or the Logan set? That would be a nice resource...

I downloaded all of the Logan collection photos years ago.
    I checked them just now - all the half dime photos are in color.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@Bikergeek said:

I downloaded all of the Logan collection photos years ago.
    I checked them just now - all the half dime photos are in color.

Lol, right you are! I think they are so small and pastel that I thought of them as grey-scale! I found it taxing to compare them to big True View or my own hi-res images and gave up pretty fast (not that I think I'd find an undocumented plate coin among my set anyway).

@yosclimber, do you happen to have any larger photos, just for posterity? I have to imagine the "russ.com" images are reduced-size from the ones that were published in the book (?)

I did hunt down the PCGS-published auction list: https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/auctionsaledetails/bowers-merena/russell-j-logan-gilbert-g-steinberg/firmid/10003/saleid/-8495008894721972094
    but they don't seem to link to any hi-res large photos (like a Heritage sale might have).

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek said:

I believe you may be building such a collection of images with this thread. Keep this thread going for another decade or so and you'll probably have quite a few images. 5 images in the first day is pretty good lol.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2022 3:05PM

@Bikergeek said:
    @yosclimber, do you happen to have any larger photos, just for posterity? I have to imagine the "russ.com" images are reduced-size from the ones that were published in the book (?)

The photos I downloaded are the same as the ones currently at that site.
    The LM book plate photos were almost certainly printed from normal film camera negatives available at the time of publication.

I did hunt down the PCGS-published auction list: https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/auctionsaledetails/bowers-merena/russell-j-logan-gilbert-g-steinberg/firmid/10003/saleid/-8495008894721972094
    but they don't seem to link to any hi-res large photos (like a Heritage sale might have).

Heritage doesn't have any hi-res photos online from 2002 (year of the Logan sale).
    It's not until 2007 that they have hi-res photos online, i.e. good enough for attribution.
    Stack's had them a little earlier, but not in 2002.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 4:28PM

Deleted

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have images at the moment but I purchased some at the Logan sale.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:
    I don’t have images at the moment but I purchased some at the Logan sale.

Looking forward to seeing them! Even if you just snap a cell phone pic and upload those!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 12:20AM

I had a great deal of fun collecting plate coins, this thread is a good reminder of that enjoyment

• Options

Coming up, four LM plate coins gleaned from the current #1 PCGS registry set.
    1829 LM-15.2, page 162

• Options

1832 LM-8.3, p. 211

• Options

1832 LM-9.1, p 214

• Options

1833 LM-4.1, p 235

• Options

Happy New Year to all. I am privileged to add another Plate Coin to the mix: 1832 LM-1, page 202.

• Options

Here's a goodie from my friend referenced above, owner of the PCGS registry set "Life After Cattle." This is a dupe of his set piece, which is in a higher grade. This is 1834 LM-3, 3/inv3, ex David Davis, page 250.

• Options

Updated image. Just got the TrueView today for the 1829 LM4 Plate Coin...

• Options

Hey @Cladiator, LOVE that image! Happy to see it in an attributed/pedigreed slab sir!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this Russ of enhanced hair Kennedys fame. Russ the "Scumnuker?"

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 8:40PM

Deleted

• Options
    edited April 4, 2023 8:18PM

@Barberian said:
    Is this Russ of enhanced hair Kennedys fame. Russ the "Scumnuker?"

No.
    The accented hair Kennedy guy was Russ Stringham (@Russ on this forum) from Washington state; he passed away in 2016.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/188065/the-russ-monthly-accented-hair-kennedy-population-report
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970910/russ-stringham-russ-has-passed-away

The Russ in this thread was Russ Logan of Ohio.
    He wrote great books on bust dimes and bust half dimes; passed away in 2002.
    http://rob.com/russ/

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 7:18PM

All the coins in this thread are truly great, thanks for posting these.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can add two…..

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs those are great! The 1830 is especially interesting, as it's the plate coin for 1830 LM-1.1 but as your notes indicate, the coin is in fact an LM-1.2. So that's a unique thing! Thanks for sharing this.

(I drafted a longer response earlier, noting that the forum has the images in a weird order - but the first reverse shown above is the 1830, and the second one is the 1829. The obverses are, obviously, a little easier to identify... lol. But I typo'd the answer, edited it, and went into some gray area where the forum declined to post that response. Thus, this short reply here.)

• Options

When you get a big group of these coins, which I've no doubt you will, a public display at a big ANA or Fun would be awesome. Congrats on another awesome pick up.

• Options

Here are a dozen (!) more. I recently had the great experience of photographing JRCS member #323's half dimes and posting them on my little hobby site, groovycoins.com. I wanted to add them to the gallery here. (Photos were done in a limited time with less-than-perfect lighting so any ugliness is on me, not the coins!)

1829 LM-7.3, page 152. Owned by JRCS323.

1829 LM-8, page 153. Owned by JRCS323.

• Options

1829 LM-11, page 156. Owned by JRCS323.

1829 LM-12, page 157. Owned by JRCS323.

• Options

1829 LM-14, page 160. Owned by JRCS323.

1830 LM-5, page 176. Owned by JRCS323.

• Options

1831 LM-4, page 195. Owned by JRCS323.

1832 LM-2, page 203. Owned by JRCS323.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2023 7:43PM

1833 LM-3.3, page 232. Owned by JRCS323.

1833 LM-3.4 (removed pic--was included in error. A Logan coin, but not a plate coin).

• Options

1833 LM-6, page 239. Owned by JRCS323.

1833 LM-8, page 241. Owned by JRCS323.

• Options

Looks like you had a fun visit! The fields on that '32 LM2, good Lord...drool........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file