Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's Something You Were Surprised To Learn Years After You Started Collecting?

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 20+ years before I knew this:

Morgan's initial "M" is on the reverse of the coin also.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    I always knew about Roosevelt's 1933 confiscation of gold.

But I did not realize, until recently, that there was also a 1934-1938 confiscation of all non-coin and non-utility silver bullion.

Is that like what ever they seem fit as for silver?

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a lot and will be a lot more. One that I remember right now is that certain gold coins are never graded MS-60 or MS-61.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2023 2:39PM

That SLQs below the MS grade can receive the Full Head designation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I have never heard about the silver bullion confiscation but want to research it.
    I would say that coin grading and preferences change over time. Dipped and blast white was in 30 years ago. Now originality and toning is more popular for many. 10 years from now, who knows. But have fun!

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Gold seems to be expensive right now, in ten years you'll wonder why you didn't buy more.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

That numismatic scholars had amassed such wonderful works for me to study.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised almost daily at how many people I meet or encounter that know basically nothing about our coin and currency. I refer to present times compared to years ago. Cash was it, now it's all cards, digital or phone sweeps.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know if I continued to collect coins that I would go broke trying. Not the sharpest tool in the shed I recon. :'(

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

That I could afford a modern proof coin.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    I had to Google “bourse” And then immediately felt cool at my first coin show last year thinking, “I’m on the bourse!”

Please keep your hands inside the bourse at all times. Be prepared for sudden stops along the way. And remember the bourse is ever changing.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I learned how much easier it is to sell high grade, rare, expensive and pretty coins. At first, it was a little scary, but I stopped buying common coins, even if they were all I could afford at the time, I saved my money for special coins that everyone would want.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 14D lincoln when I was a teenager and filed it away in a whitman folder. 40 years later ... PCGS tells me it was a counterfeit and had an added mintmark !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2023 12:23PM

You can put a pretty good collection together if your good at grading while not spending a bunch of cash.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting as a kid, had a paper route, mowed lawns, shoveled snow, picked potatoes, etc., etc., etc. Was surprised to learn, years later (like in my twenties) that there were coin shows and coin shops, where coins could be viewed, bought and sold. Still none in this area where I live.... Sure enjoyed them when I lived in other areas of the country. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

When selling a coin to a dealer, the holder does matter.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I was most surprised to learn that there are problem coins in straight graded holders.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭

I was surprised to learn that the value of some coins that were affordable in the 60's would become 5,6 and 7 figure coins. Like Ricko, my love for collecting began as a paperboy. I still have the coins I put aside in my uncles used cigar boxes and can almost close my eyes and picture the customers that gave me those coins when going to their house to collect for the paper.
    A big surprise also was when I found out Jed Clampett (Buddy Ebsen) was a huge coin collector( I have always wanted one of his coins). I loved that show as a kid.
    Maybe being a roll hunter takes me back to that young boy walking up to that door and ringing that doorbell, "Collect!"

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2023 9:05AM

@dcarr said:
    I always knew about Roosevelt's 1933 confiscation of gold.

But I did not realize, until recently, that there was also a 1934-1938 confiscation of all non-coin and non-utility silver bullion.

Thankfully, contrary to popular belief, FDR did not take away ALL the gold. That is, you could keep up to $100 in gold coins as well as ones that had significant nusmatic value. Thank God FDR as a fellow coin collector made that provision or else many gold coins could've very well been forever lost or really close to it.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type 1 silver three cent pieces are not 90% silver.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

How inconsistent TPGs can be when grading weak strikes.

Early CC coinage can be seen with a percentage of silver higher than 90%.

Saying you do not have enough money to buy coins is a poor excuse. Work and patience can go a long way into building a solid collection.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

I found that along the way I gained many good friends who were so willing to share their knowledge that I wouldn't have met if not for our hobby.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shocker for me was how few collectors and dealers can actually grade.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 3:59PM

The backstory behind various coins such as how we have a $20 gold piece because of the California Gold Rush and the image of a generic Hawaiian Chief on the Hawaiian Commemorative was patterned after the King Kamehameha Stature that still stands in front of what is now the Hawaii Supreme Court Building and fictional Hawaii Five-0 Headquarters:

FWIW, this is a statue of the other image on the Hawaiian Commerative:

And here is the other King Kamehameha Statue that is located on the Big Island of Hawaii and was intended to be placed in Honolulu before it was lost at sea and recovered after a new one replaced it.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 4:19PM

OK, added the King Kamehameha Statue that is on the lawn in front of the present Hawaii Supreme Court Building which historically was the Territorial Court House circa the 1928 Hawaii Commemorative. The coin's designer was Julie May Fraser, a local artist, who also painted a mural that was originally displayed at an exhibition in California and now can be seen in the main library of the University of Hawaii's Manoa campus. She used this statue of King Kamehameha as her inspiration for the generic Hawaiian Chief seen on the coin. When you compare the design on the coin to the statue the similarity is striking.

The mural painted by the same artist, Julie May Fraser - now on display at the University of Hawaii:

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s harder to sell and get all the money than buying.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    I am surprised almost daily at how many people I meet or encounter that know basically nothing about our coin and currency. I refer to present times compared to years ago. Cash was it, now it's all cards, digital or phone sweeps.

If you are referring to currently circulating coinage, there are too many. I'll admit I avoid using change but even if I did, I wouldn't make the effort to become familiar with all the design changes since 1999. I'm a collector, so I don't consider it surprising non-collectors have no idea either.

If you are referring to obsolete coinage, some of it is due to the much-reduced physical footprint. Fewer coin shops and bookstores with magazine racks. I don't know for libraries now or recently. Online, I noticed when I took a break from my on-line searches, I no longer received banner ads for coin sites, which leads me to believe the non-collector doesn't see anything either.

Mostly, it's due to a lack of interest. It's of no relevance to them.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2023 4:05PM

What did I learn?

That most "old" coins are actually really common and with the internet, aren't hard to buy even in better quality. This isn't limited to just US.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned that when selling after years of collecting with great discernment, what I thought were the most gorgeous, eye appealing coins to me, were just widgets to someone else.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

That people would start collecting by: 1) oxidation on a coin's surface; 2) various types of third-party grade holders; 3) signatures on said holders.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2023 6:18AM

The amount of counterfeiting! Along with the inability of our well funded federal government to shut it down.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file