Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG 1883 Liberty Nickel *Grades revealed*

BoloBolo Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2023 7:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just got my latest batch back from PCGS and there were a few surprises. This was one of them.

Take a guess what it came in as. Also...those poor dies!

Bonus GTG:

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going with 58 on both.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting coins. The die cracks all over that nickel. How about:

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a story behind those 1883 nickels that slip my mind at the moment. Something about them being hoarded at the time, is why there are so many in MS condition.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

64/55

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    There's a story behind those 1883 nickels that slip my mind at the moment. Something about them being hoarded at the time, is why there are so many in MS condition.

You might be thinking about the “no-cents kind”, as that was hoarded due to crooks gold plating them and passing them off as $5 pieces. Once the public heard, they were hoarded. I’m pretty sure the “cents” variety wasn’t hoarded as much.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 and 55.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 65+

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You might be thinking about the “no-cents kind”, as that was hoarded due to crooks gold plating them and passing them off as $5 pieces. Once the public heard, they were hoarded. I’m pretty sure the “cents” variety wasn’t hoarded as much.

Yes, I think you're right. Thanks for that. 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 and 55…..and nice better date coins in their respective series.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2023 7:51PM

MS 64
    MS 64

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2023 8:15PM

Interesting guesses so far! Neither one of these graded the same as what I bought them at, so apparently they are a challenge.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guesses would be 63 and 58.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 55 for both

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details rim damage
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

The liberty nickel is MS, id say 62 or 63

AU on the barber, maybe 55 ?

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big variances here and tough to guess. I'll go 62 and 58

Tom

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 365 ✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Going with 58 on both.

My first instinct as well

• Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

64/55

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it but I would pay up for coin #2 regardless of the grade.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

63/58

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 on the nickel
    58 on the Barber 25C

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

66, 58

Mr_Spud

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details no grade
    and AU 58

• Options

I'll post the grades tomorrow. I am fascinated by the large range of grades guessed at and some of the comments - which I thought might happen with these two.

One of the coins has been guessed correctly. One has not. :smile:

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2023 6:52PM

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 63, figuring a weak strike based on the flatness of the stars, making it appear as a lower grade,
    I think the NOLA looks like a 58.
    Both are really nice looking coins!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the look of that 1893-O Barber quarter. If I had seen that coin raw and it appeared as I interpret it from the TrueView images then it would be something I would say was likely an AU cleaned with baking soda.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    Details no grade
    and AU 58

Would a details no grade have a TV?

55 on the nickel.

I'd go 58 on the quarter but I'm going to guess details

• Options

And these were the comments I was waiting for :smiley:

The Barber quarter certainly was cleaned in some way a very long time ago. The trueview picture is accurate in how it looks.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2023 7:41AM

And for the grades!

First up, the 1883 Nickel. I bought this as an AU-50. It looked neat with all the die cracks on both obverse and reverse. Our hosts decided it was:

I suppose all the die wear and weak strike or whatever is going on in the reverse makes it hard to grade. I'm not sure I'd have called it mint state tho.

Second, the 1893-O Quarter. I bought this as an EF-45. This was kind of a "reach for the stars" submission as it appears to have a very old cleaning going on but I've seen plenty of coins like it straight graded so I thought I'd take the chance:

womp womp

Nice guesses! The fact it took so long to call out its suspicious nature makes me feel less silly about my gamble on getting it graded.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we compare your image and the TV of the 1893-O it almost looks like two different coins.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    If we compare your image and the TV of the 1893-O it almost looks like two different coins.

I take terrible pictures!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same problem taking pictures but I think with your picture more so than the TV the coin looks like it was cleaned.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bolo was the nickel certified when you bought it as an AU50? If so what tog holder was it in? Just curious.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @Bolo was the nickel certified when you bought it as an AU50? If so what tog holder was it in? Just curious.

All the coins I'm certifying now are coins I bought raw in the 80s and 90s.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file