Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

40% silver or clad Kennedy half dollar??.$??

ErikbErikb Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited June 8, 2023 6:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I will post 2 pics both from the same date and from mint sets. Tell me what you are seeing.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 28, 2023 1:44PM

The one in the middle is a different set than the same set of the top and bottom pictures… I did weigh each Denver package and there was a difference in weight, next am most likely going to be cutting them open for an accurate weight.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Can you show a full picture of the front of the set with the coin you suspect is clad? Maybe a side-by-side comparison, too.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 4:31PM

Put it next to a 40% silver JFK (1965 - 1970) and post the photo the 2 JFK's side by side.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused.... what am I missing? Aren't 1970 half dollars clad... with silver? The picture looks like a 40% silver clad half dollar to me.... but what do I know. Been a long day.

----- kj
  • Options

Are you thinking the middle one is NOT a clad? The edges are sometimes deceptive... might look like silver, but can still be clad. If you are thinking it is a 90% coin, yes, the only way to really tell is opening and weighing the coin.

----- kj
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no great expert but have seen quite a few edge differences on 40% clads, mint set or not. Just weigh the coin, although there are even some weight tolerance differences..Weight for 40% should be 11.50 gms vs. 12.50 for 90%. I tend to doubt there were a lot of 90% blanks floating around & weighing a whole sheet of mint set coins is a bit imprecise TBH.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970 clad with 40% silver.

Vplite99
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen the 40% clad Kennedy halves with edges that showed no copper... Weight will be the answer. Let us know what you find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    1970 clad with 40% silver.

That's what it is, as no clad Halfs were made in 1970.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 40% clad is net, of 80% silver / 20% copper outer layers and 79% Copper / 21% Silver core. Thus isn't not as clear as the copper-nickel class with their pure copper core.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

• Options
    edited May 29, 2023 11:53PM

To me one edge looks more like a no silver clad, and the other one looks more like a 90%. I wanted to see what others who have seen more of these coins then I have would say before cutting open is really all. So I guess I am going to cut them open tomorrow.

• Options

@BStrauss3.. after reading your comment it does look more like a regular 1970 on the one set

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erikb said:

The outer layers on 40% silver half dollars are actually 80% silver.
    The color of the metal on both half dollars in this picture shows a whiter color than the quarters and dimes.
    So it looks like both half dollars are the normal 40% silver.

An XRF test should be able to penetrate the plastic and detect the surface composition.
    So I would say get it tested if you can.

• Options

Well we’ll well…

• Options

• Options

My plan is to have some experts take a look at it at the show hopefully at the @PCGS booth. They are willing to take a look at it and then go from there..

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a stack of 40% halves.

• Options

@jmlanzaf
    Nah ma boi 11.5g= 40% halfs

• Options

ok then.

----- kj
  • Options

Yeah ok then..
    There is no down side to seeing if pcgs will look at it free of charge. Thanks for everyone’s input I appreciate it

• Options

@Erikb said:
    @jmlanzaf
    Nah ma boi 11.5g= 40% halfs

But a 90% is 12.5. He was claiming that one is 90% and the other is Cu-Ni clad when they ask weigh the same on his scale.

• Options

Yeah that edge did look more like a 90%

• Options

I didn’t post a pic of the other one on the scale cuz it’s spot on weight tolerance for a 1970 half dollar

• Options

The one in the picture on the scale is the one I was saying looked like Cu-Ni clad no silver half dollar. And its weight isn’t in tolerance of a normal 40% 1970 half. Sorry for the confusion

• Options

@Erikb said:
    The one in the picture on the scale is the one I was saying looked like Cu-Ni clad no silver half dollar. And its weight isn’t in tolerance of a normal 40% 1970 half. Sorry for the confusion

Could you photograph it side by side with a copper nickel clad? You shouldn't have to look at the edge. The color of the CuNi is very different then the silver: grey vs white. The coin in the photo looks far too white to be CuNi.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight is within tolerance of + or - .4 grams.

11.5 is the standard minus .4 would be 11.1 grams.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    The weight is within tolerance of + or - .4 grams.

11.5 is the standard minus .4 would be 11.1 grams.

Ahh yes that’s right, idk why I was thinking it was a lot less weight tolerance wise. I should have checked on that subject again. But they are in weight tolerance of both a 40% and a Cu-Ni… my hopes are less wishful being the coin is a little whiter then a Cu-Ni.

• Options

Thank you for the weight tolerance clarification sir. 👍🤙

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has there ever been a '65 - 90% silver half found?

Just ask'n
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Who knows, but reverse transitional off metal errors are rare im sure. Depending on how bad you want to know maybe start your own discussion(:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file