Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Questionable Color"???

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
just recently, I went to a Coin Show to have 5 of my coins Submitted at a on-site PCGS grading table.
To make a long story short. 4 of my 2010p Cents came back,
**"Questionable Color". **
Really???
:* Why?
What do you guys think?
Thank You!

Do you guys see anything?
:*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 5:17PM

I can not see anything from your pics that show questionable color.
    So you were looking for MS67 or higher grades, I can see why having viewed the price guide....MS67...$1,800.
    Since you have gold shield grading you will be getting TrueView images.....That should be interesting.

Sorry for your awful results.

edited to add: what was the fifth coin?

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

On-site grading table? They grade them on the spot?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything out of place. Were the graders under questionable influence?

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    I can not see anything from your pics that show questionable color.
    So you were looking for MS67 or higher grades, I can see why having viewed the price guide....MS67...$1,800.
    Since you have gold shield grading you will be getting TrueView images.....That should be interesting.

Sorry for your awful results.

edited to add: what was the fifth coin?

Thanks!
    The 5th coin was the saving grace of the whole submission! BIG TIME.
    The 2020W Rockefeller "W" Quarter.
    It came back a marvelous ms 67.

PCGS price guide = $1000!
    :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2023 6:01PM

One important aspect of the whole matter.
    Unfortunately, I did inadverntently, soak each cent in EZEST to remove some haze.
    That appears to have been the color problem? Although, not really too bad at all? It did somewhat discolor the original skin?
    That was what PCGS probably noticed?
    But, once again, not as terrible as to receive that dreaded, "Questionable Color"
    Death mark!
    :/

• Options

I was just going to ask you if the grader gave you an explanation.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Guys, these specific coins, I think, had a real shot for the exclusive ms67!
    I might break these out and reconsider to have regarded?
    This time, not at the high priced $70 per coin but $25, instead.
    :*

• Options

@FullHorn said:
    Inadvertently soaking in EZEST must have been the problem.

I know, I know! My BIG mistake!
    Kicking myself now.
    :#

• Options
    edited April 30, 2023 6:52PM

e-Zest on zinc? Yes, that's what did it.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    I was just going to ask you if the grader gave you an explanation.

Nope, no explanation.

• Options

How do you inadvertently soap coins in anything?

• Options
    edited April 30, 2023 6:06PM

@OAKSTAR said:

Did not know it would harm the grade.
    I do this to 90% of my coins, including the "W" quarters.
    This is the FIRST time a coin came back in a detail grade.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    What do you guys think?

My first thought was; that sucks. My second thought was; how much you paid for that. I've had some hard lessons myself over the years.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I've only used e-Zest to quick dip silver, mostly silver Kennedy's I've found. Only acetone on everything else when needed.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ezest will work on silver, but it will cause an unnatural color for anything else. A quick search on the forums will likely pop up several threads on the topic.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@FullHorn said:
    Inadvertently soaking in EZEST must have been the problem.

I know, I know! My BIG mistake!
    Kicking myself now.
    :#

At least you're honest.

From what I have learned over the years, dipping Zinc/Copper coins in man made baths is a recipe for disaster.

What was that song from the sixties? I fought the law and the law won.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins —I appreciate you having told your story. There’s no shame in the truth nor teaching by example. I learned. I can move on to some other questionable act due to your sacrifice.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 6:31PM

@joeykoins said:

@OAKSTAR said:

IMO, eZest really should not be used as a first resort for most coins - it is an unnecessarily aggressive treatment. There should be no reason to be treating anywhere near 90% of your coins with it (if that's what you meant).

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

EZest turns copper a funky pink/orange color. They can spot that a mile away.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2023 6:47PM

When I do use the EZEST, I always watered it down. Only to dip for 4-5 seconds!
    I even dipped the 5th coin, the 2020W Rockefeller quarter. It hit the ms 67 grade!
    I take it carefully. Washing thorough.
    Not condoning, just throwing the truth out there in my submissions.
    Thanks guys

• Options

Besides e-Zest (silver only) and acetone, the only other chemical I've used was Verdi-Care. Only on copper. All the copper I've submitted with Verdi-Care have come back straight graded...............thank goodness!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

EZ-Est is like feeding your coins poison. Stop that.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

Ez est turns copper an artificial “pink” never use ez est on copper

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dawn
    If it's safe for wildlife you must agree with no trouble or strife.
    Oh and Dawn dish soap ...Your so cool.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Unfortunately, I did inadverntently, soak each cent in EZEST to remove some haze.
    That appears to have been the color problem? Although, not really too bad at all? It did somewhat discolor the original skin?
    But, once again, not as terrible as to receive that dreaded, "Questionable Color"
    Death mark!

Copper/zinc is very 'touchy'.
    Unless you really know what you are doing, you should never do things to it, like any type of dip.

Practice on worthless coins first, if you must try it.

The thing that, perhaps you, and maybe some others, are forgetting is that PCGS has their reputation AND money behind the coins they slab. So, if they slab a coin and it turns in the holder (because you dipped it in something), they are on the hook to pay out for it.
    At the higher grades you were going for on these coins, maybe you can see why they didn't "just slab it anyways".

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    When I do use the EZEST, I always watered it down. Only to dip for 4-5 seconds!
    I even dipped the 5th coin, the 2020W Rockefeller quarter. It hit the ms 67 grade!
    I take it carefully. Washing thorough.
    Not condoning, just throwing the truth out there in my submissions.
    Thanks guys

Don't compare copper/zinc to other coin metals. Don't.Do.It.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questionable color ... On a 2010 cent?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins ... You posed the question, and had the answer before you asked. Ezest is a strong solution... and copper is a sensitive element. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you got that awesome score with the quarter!
    I would have never thought it could bring that kind of money, especially from a dealer. Obviously there is a market for these things.
    Happy for you!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the quarter! First rule of coin collecting - don’t clean your coins! Especially if they are high value and you don’t have experience. Experiment with pocket change and junk first.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey,
    I feel a message to PCGS with the certification numbers asking for a review and telling them the coins came from new bank roll and if they feel the color is off, why? I definitely would send them back regardless of cost just for satisfaction.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking out and resending would be a waste. If the pennies changed color even slightly because you dipped, graders will see it again, especially given more time than the one day turnaround at a show.

Chalk it up to tuition cost and never dip copper or zinc in e.z.est.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

You are seriously going to sink more money into these and try again??? Sorry to be blunt but take the lesson learned (and the L) and move on.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said: When I do use the EZEST, I always watered it down. Only to dip for 4-5 seconds! I even dipped the 5th coin, the 2020W Rockefeller quarter.

My question(s) to you is how do you rinse these coins after dipping in E-Z-Est and how soon after dipping are you submitting them to PCGS??

• Options

Under hot tap water. For approx 1 minute.
    Then, a couple days after to submission.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Death mark!

Using EZEST was the problem. My experience experimenting with EZEST on copper was not good. Cooper coated? Must be not good either.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, I answered before I knew that you had dipped the coins. I thought they were straight out of the bank boxes you always get. I change my statement, do not bother PCGS and do Not return.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Death mark!

Yikes, that will result in an unnatural pink. Did you try acetone first? If that does not work, I would try diluted MS70.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious. Can you take your graded coins and put them side by side with coins from the roll they came from. How does the color match? Do you feel like the color is the same or do you see a difference?

Maybe you could add a photo of the comparison.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question-
    Could any type of cleaning with soft solvents surrounding a coin, but not touching a coin, cause a reaction to a coin ?
    Example : Leather conditioner

• Options
    edited May 2, 2023 9:45AM

@emeraldATV said:
    Question-
    Could any type of cleaning with soft solvents surrounding a coin, but not touching a coin, cause a reaction to a coin ?
    Example : Leather conditioner

I would say yes. Anything that emits fumes, vapors, gas, smoke, exhaust or any type of pollution could or would effect the surface of a coin.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2023 9:27AM

OP I know that you are somewhat newer to the hobby but frankly thought you've been hanging around here enough to learn that dipping any copper coin in compounds like EZest gives it an unnatural look that just screams "cleaned". You got lucky on the quarter because the CN outer layer isn't as reactive. Don't waste any more time or money on resubmission on the cents.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments guys, really, I do.
    Thanks 😊
    I'm going g to try it again. With different 2010p cent rolls. The chance to hit that exclusive ms 67, is too good to pass up!
    ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file