Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Walker

jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added this new addition 1942 Proof 67 CAC Walker to the collection. Building this set one at a time when they become available.

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Are you building a PR67 CAC set or does this one happen to just be that? Is this your first?

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

You doing the set as all PR67 CAC or mixing in other PR grades and CAC non-CAC?

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2023 8:10AM

I think we posted at same time

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I'm still looking for a proof walker for m type set, but have had no luck finding one that I like.

Congrats on finding a beauty.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you likely already know the '36 is tough to find nice. CAC has only stickered 35 in 67. I had a devil of a time finding a nice 65 or 66 that matched the other years.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Eye candy!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats , they all look beautiful
    This is a very tough coin to try and buy online from just pics.
    I'll have to wait till I'm able to visit a coin show before I can get one for my proof type set
    For me they must have the CAC for added piece of mind.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    As you likely already know the '36 is tough to find nice. CAC has only stickered 35 in 67. I had a devil of a time finding a nice 65 or 66 that matched the other years.

I hear ya. I’ve already passed up a 1936 in proof 65CAC. It was nice, but a few hairlines in the obverse field between the T and Y was a no-go for me. I’m not stuck on cac. If I can find a 67 w/o it and it’s nice, I’ll go for it. Do you have this series?

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

I’m not stuck on cac. If I can find a 67 w/o it and it’s nice, I’ll go for it.

If you found a PR67 "without a CAC" I'd be suspicious
    You have to think that any one with this coin would have sent it in get the bean!
    CAC has only stickered 35 1936 PR-67s

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    Very nice. I'm still looking for a proof walker for m type set, but have had no luck finding one that I like.

Donato

Curiously, what do you “like”? The PCGS population of Proof 1936-1942 Walking Liberty halves graded 65 and higher is about 18,000.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Curiously, what do you “like”? The PCGS population of Proof 1936-1942 Walking Liberty halves graded 65 and higher is about 18,000.

Hi Mark,

I'd like one with a strong strike (obverse and reverse) with full hand and complete feathers on the eagle with no toning or spotting whatsoever. I seem to find pieces with some of my criteria, but I have not found one that had all of my criteria.

I'd have to see it in person. but the OP's coin looks like it may fit the bill for me.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think proof walkers are some of the most beautiful coins that the US Mint has produced. I too have been considering a set, but I prefer them toned. Toned walkers are much more scarce than blast white specimens. Silver post about 1900 can have unattractive toning, so you will achieve attainable satisfaction.

OINK

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

@MFeld said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Hi Mark,

I'd like one with a strong strike (obverse and reverse) with full hand and complete feathers on the eagle with no toning or spotting whatsoever. I seem to find pieces with some of my criteria, but I have not found one that had all of my criteria.

I'd have to see it in person. but the OP's coin looks like it may fit the bill for me.

Donato

Thank you and best of luck in your search.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

That's a beautiful choice in a coin for your type set. It looks like your off to a great start.

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Those are so really nice Walkers

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2023 9:08PM

@jfriedm56 said:

@oldabeintx said:

I hear ya. I’ve already passed up a 1936 in proof 65CAC. It was nice, but a few hairlines in the obverse field between the T and Y was a no-go for me. I’m not stuck on cac. If I can find a 67 w/o it and it’s nice, I’ll go for it. Do you have this series?

I have this series. While the last five dates in my set are each 67+ and my 1937 is a 67, I chose for the 1936 to buy a 66, and not spend the money needed for a nice 67 (and I bought my 1936 PR66 six years ago when the prices were a lot less than today).

Among the problems of finding eye appealing Proof Walkers, there are way too many with a lot of haze due to the plastic wrapping.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few of us who are assembling blast white 67 or better sets of proof walkers that are still looking years later for a 1936 in 67 to match. You've got some nice coins so far, best of luck with your search.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

Nice '42. The '42 proof is the last coin I need to complete my set of proof walkers. Seems to me there are fewer available even at the higher prices asked for today than there were two or three years ago. I guess I will have to search a little harder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 ..... Wow... What a project. Beautiful coins you have shown. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I love Proof Walkers! Cant wait to see your ‘36 in PF67!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file