MS64

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good guesses. Reveal grade tomorrow so keep guessing

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 Red.
    Though I don’t know a lot about the color and designations on the copper nickel cents; I I do think the reverse appears as it does due to alloy mixing and not toning.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was MS-62

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

MS63

Matt Snebold

• Options

That there is a 65

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

63 FTW! Maybe?

Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63RD...beauty
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    zrnumismaticszrnumismatics Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it hard to grade. The stippling in the fields throws me off. I could go 62+ to 64, maybe 65/66 if what I am seeing is an illusion. Great strike, I think that is 95%, certainly a coin to be proud to own.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imma guess 64 because of the spots.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

A better quality photo showing the mark in the field by the chin clearer could help. I’ll go with 64+.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Maybe this is better?

• Options

Yes. I’ll raise my initial 64+ guess to 65.

@jesbroken above said MS63RD, but copper-nickel Indians don’t have color suffixes.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say gem and red. Nice coin; it's surprising somewhat that many civil war date coins like this are not that rare as the higher denominations are, $5 and above.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say 64. The obverse alone I would say 65.

• Options

Better photo of reverse

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an MS65 to me..... probably RD.... Pictures can be tricky... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2023 5:10AM

Wow, the luster is awesome. I'll say 64.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I'd say gem and red. Nice coin; it's surprising somewhat that many civil war date coins like this are not that rare as the higher denominations are, $5 and above.

@ricko said:
    Looks like an MS65 to me..... probably RD.... Pictures can be tricky... Cheers, RickO

Copper-Nickel Indians (and Flying Eagle cents) do not get color suffixes (for 1864, the first batch of Indian Cents were made of Copper-Nickel, the remaining ones for 1864 were made with the normal Copper alloy).

Steve

• Options

@winesteven ... You are right, but I still call the nice IHC's red when I see them like that... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say MS65....

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2023 5:52AM

Those are far better photos and allows for a better guess for the grade. I actually knew regarding the color designation, just didn't consider it. My bad.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jfriedm56 ... Thanks for the picture... And, I got it right.... :) Yippee - Happy dance... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @jfriedm56 ... Thanks for the picture... And, I got it right.... :) Yippee - Happy dance... Cheers, RickO

And how about me? Admittedly I'm weak at grading. I originally said 64+ due to my concern of the scratch in the obverse field near the chin, so I asked for a better photo. When he provided that, I then adjusted my guess to 65.

As we all know, even a broken clock is correct twice every day, lol.

Steve

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice IHC, very clean.

Nice pickup.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome specimen of the Indian Cent! Great buy.
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56, PCGS has a pic of your coin. Not sure if you were aware.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

So, will you ship this coin to CAC and to Rick Snow to get their stickers? I'd say you have a real good shot at getting both!

Steve

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to grade it a MS64, but from your pictures it was hard to tell conclusively. Congrats on the 65 and you should send it to CAC and Rick Snow for validation. The TV suggests a better grade for an MS coin. I would havwe thought 66 based upon the TV photo. Color is perfect for a CuNi coin.

OINK

• Options

@1Mike1 said:
    @jfriedm56, PCGS has a pic of your coin. Not sure if you were aware.

I did verify it , but I don’t know how to post the TV on my post.

• Options

@winesteven said:
    So, will you ship this coin to CAC and to Rick Snow to get their stickers? I'd say you have a real good shot at getting both!

Steve

Thanks Steve. Was thinking about sending it to both.

• Options

@jfriedm56 said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

Thanks Steve. Was thinking about sending it to both.

For a four figure coin like this, the fees to potentially get stickers, even including round-trip shipping twice, is reasonable (the shipping costs are diluted if you include other eye appealing “solid for the grade” coins in the submissions). Not only would one or both stickers add some value, but when the time comes to sell, whether by you or your heirs, those stickered coins will be a lot easier to sell at fair value.

Steve

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file