Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Will there be an updated Resplandores or will that never happen?

2»

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 1:50PM

@MrEureka said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

@cacheman said:
    "Knowledge is not free or cheap."

Nor is ignorance.

Agreed. I have spent a lot on books over the last 2-3 years maybe 3000$ (that is a lot compared to say if I collected Canadian coins and would have to spend maybe a few hundred dollars max) so I try to learn as much as I can but I am no expert or master. Still learning and will as much as I can. You can't compare me to guys that have been into world coins for decades that would not even make any sens.

In other words, you (may) have knowledge, but you don’t have wisdom.

Which I guess is why you still buy damaged coins.

Hahaha come on guys I collect what I like I am OK with authentic coins as long as the eye appeal makes me happy. I have about 50/50 with numerical graded coins as well. You all know I can't afford mint state 1732-1771 8 reales and sometimes I can buy a numerical graded coin. To be honest the numerical coins don't make me any happier they are OK but my level of happiness does not change either way.

I have no one to give these coins to when my time comes to kick the bucket. I will die with them so what does it matter in the end. If I had kids or close family (and I mean good kids and family members) then maybe I would buy mostly numerical graded coins so they can profit from them. But I don't have either.

Once I leave this Earth who cares after that seriously what grades your coins were. I just want to meet God and go to Heaven now that to me matters. How I lived my life and not the grades of my coins.

To me that is wisdom.

That might sense if you never sell anything. But most of us sell off some of our coins as we learn and as our collections evolve. So, at least for most of us, resale value matters.

And FWIW, over the years, I’ve sold at least 90% of the coins I’ve bought with the intention of keeping them “forever”.

I am not selling what I buy will be the coins that stay in my collection the rest of my life. I have zero intentions of upgrading any of my coins. I will stick to the series I collect and that will be that. I am strict on myself and will live by my creed.

And like I said once my time is up coins will be the last thing on my mind. Will put them in my will and they will be sold and the money donated to my local animal shelter. I am sure they will be happy with the funds and me as well knowing they are going to loving animals.

I have to try just one last time, so two things to consider.

First, a big part of collecting is trying to build the best collection we can with the available resources. Doing that absolutely requires a willingness to let go of our worst coins, by our own parameters, to make room for better coins. And the process of doing so makes us better collectors, makes our collections better, and increases our activities and involvement in the hobby. All good, fun things.

Second, leaving your coins to the local animal shelter is a great thing to do, but leaving a more valuable collection would be even better. So even if you have no selfish reasons for building a better collection, consider doing it for the animals.

I appreciate the effort but will continue to buy what makes me happy and in the end my collection will be what it is. If it contains more numerical graded coins then so be it if not then so be it.

I will not be letting go of any of my coins I like them and am happy with them. That is all that matters to me.

The animal shelter will be happy they will get my house and my coin collection. More than enough to make a big difference in the lives of many many animals.

edited April 1, 2023 1:53PM

@SimonW said:
    @PillarDollarCollector

You go ahead and collect whatever you like in whatever way suits you. If it simulates your mind and gives you a sense of adventure, who are we to argue?

That being said, a lot of people here know what they're taking about, among the best in the world even. When you ask for opinions, you're going to get them. You'll even get opinions that you don't ask for. That's ok. They have a different perspective.

Yes I agree top notch collectors on these forums. But these guys budget is much more than my own per year. I am just happy to be collecting and hunting for the next coin (s). If I had say a 10k annual budget then I would consider doing what they are suggesting but my budget is about half that amount so I buy what makes me happy. Of course having better graded coins is better but not everyone can afford to collect like that.

I get what they are saying I would say the same if I had a larger budget to help guide collectors. I buy maybe 60/40 authentic versus numerical and having a blast doing so and will not be selling any of my coins.

Just for an example say I wanted to buy the most common 1733 8 reales from Mexico in numerical grade it would be almost a 2 year budget so no thanks. Same can be said with many early 8 reales from Mexico. As for other places like Peru, Guatemala or Bolivia when you buy says rare to unique coins I am just happy to own an example no matter the grade. I am not paying 10k-20k for a high graded coins and just sit doing nothing collecting wise for years. The less rare coins from these countries OK you can find them sometimes for 500$-1000$ then in those cases I will buy numerical over authentic.

I have other more important things to pay such as monthly bills, good care for my pet and my home. I also have to save for house repairs that we all know happen. These things are way more important than my hobbies. Coin collecting comes 2nd to all these things.

I am almost done my purchases for 2023 got 3 coins so far and maybe a 4th much much later in the year will see. I am OK with that since I got 3 coins that make me happy!!!

edited April 1, 2023 5:39PM

But yes the vets here are right if you can afford better coins buy them. If you cannot try to find what you can afford and be happy that you have a hobby you enjoy!!!

You can't have all you want in life unless you are rich and not many people are. I am happy to have a home in a area that is safe. I could sell my home buy a car and collect more coins but that will never happen a home is a home. I take public transportation and my pet has a great life. I have a hobby I love so I am doing pretty well for myself. I don't have a wife/girlfriend so I live on one salary and I rather be smart about what comes first.

I eat at home 99% of the time and I don't travel. I am fine with that. Live within your means is my motto and be happy with what you have and don't dream about the stuff you don't have. To many people don't do this and end up in trouble.

edited April 1, 2023 8:31PM

@cacheman said:

If this is to say I change my mind over and over no I don't I stick to my ways of collecting have been like that for years. I will not change I am OK with the way I collect as mentioned over and over and over again.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas

I actually laughed out loud. 🤣

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

@cacheman said:

Nor is ignorance.

Agreed. I have spent a lot on books over the last 2-3 years maybe 3000$ (that is a lot compared to say if I collected Canadian coins and would have to spend maybe a few hundred dollars max) so I try to learn as much as I can but I am no expert or master. Still learning and will as much as I can. You can't compare me to guys that have been into world coins for decades that would not even make any sens.

Hahaha come on guys I collect what I like I am OK with authentic coins as long as the eye appeal makes me happy. I have about 50/50 with numerical graded coins as well. You all know I can't afford mint state 1732-1771 8 reales and sometimes I can buy a numerical graded coin. To be honest the numerical coins don't make me any happier they are OK but my level of happiness does not change either way.

I have no one to give these coins to when my time comes to kick the bucket. I will die with them so what does it matter in the end. If I had kids or close family (and I mean good kids and family members) then maybe I would buy mostly numerical graded coins so they can profit from them. But I don't have either.

Once I leave this Earth who cares after that seriously what grades your coins were. I just want to meet God and go to Heaven now that to me matters. How I lived my life and not the grades of my coins.

To me that is wisdom.

That might sense if you never sell anything. But most of us sell off some of our coins as we learn and as our collections evolve. So, at least for most of us, resale value matters.

And FWIW, over the years, I’ve sold at least 90% of the coins I’ve bought with the intention of keeping them “forever”.

I am not selling what I buy will be the coins that stay in my collection the rest of my life. I have zero intentions of upgrading any of my coins. I will stick to the series I collect and that will be that. I am strict on myself and will live by my creed.

And like I said once my time is up coins will be the last thing on my mind. Will put them in my will and they will be sold and the money donated to my local animal shelter. I am sure they will be happy with the funds and me as well knowing they are going to loving animals.

Hopefully, the time to use your collection to fund your favorite charities is far off in the future, but I suspect that you have a better idea of what your collection will be worth than your beneficiaries. You should plan to sell your collection so your beneficiaries don't accept the first lowball offer they get.

@jgenn said:

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

@cacheman said:

Nor is ignorance.

To me that is wisdom.

Hopefully, the time to use your collection to fund your favorite charities is far off in the future, but I suspect that you have a better idea of what your collection will be worth than your beneficiaries. You should plan to sell your collection so your beneficiaries don't accept the first lowball offer they get.

I am still young enough. Yes that would probably be best. Will keep that in mind for when I fell time gets closer.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Thanks for posting looks like a great book. How many pages is it?

About 430

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri said:

Thanks for posting looks like a great book. How many pages is it?

About 430

Good sized book.