Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 bank bag stored for over 100 years

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2023 9:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this interesting while looking for something else in CoinWeek article
https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-four-master-hubs-of-the-1909-lincoln-wheat-cent-transition/

Pictured below is a baseline collection of over 300 original 1909 VDB coins from a 1909 bank bag stored for over 100 years in a safety deposit boxat Farmers &Merchants Bank in Chambersurg, Pennsylvania.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will add to an already huge supply of these coins in Red Mint State. It’s interesting that it was found, but it won’t have an affect upon the long term price for these coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that bag !

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 10:12AM

The color is slightly off, and varies from coin to coin. They look like they've been in storage for awhile.

The Cents will develop an off color look from sitting in the bag that long. Judging from the look of the coins in your pics, that's what happened.

I have a 1930-D Lincoln that is PCGS MS-65 with the color a little off. My coin sat stored in a bag for who knows how long because of the Depression, then were released when things got better.

Real nice coins, though.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o What a cool find.... The backstory would be of interest. Some old collector whose family forgot about them?? I don't know, but these things always intrigue me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool article and thank you for the link!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    That will add to an already huge supply of these coins in Red Mint State. It’s interesting that it was found, but it won’t have an affect upon the long term price for these coins.

The discovery was over a decade ago. I'm sure many, if not most of these coins have been graded, or on the market for a long while now.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the bag. that's why I am buying some mint bags for quater and half dollar and put them in storage. 100 years later it will worth some money.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    The color is slightly off, and varies from coin to coin. They look like they've been in storage for awhile.

The Cents will develop an off color look from sitting in the bag that long. Judging from the look of the coins in your pics, that's what happened.

I have a 1930-D Lincoln that is PCGS MS-65 with the color a little off. My coin sat stored in a bag for who knows how long because of the Depression, then were released when things got better.

Real nice coins, though.

Pete

My 1928-S Lincoln has a similar look. It went a bit orange probably from extended time in a bag.

Doesn’t look much different here, but it does in my Dansco.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that would bring a smile to anyone's face, nice 👍

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    :o What a cool find.... The backstory would be of interest. Some old collector whose family forgot about them?? I don't know, but these things always intrigue me. Cheers, RickO

Probably show up in a slab with Something Something Hoard attributed on the label.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592... Yes.... And though I would be interested in the story, I would not pay a premium for the information on a label. Not interested in paying for hype. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are neat but I want the bag. :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file