Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the Omaha Bank Hoard provenance add value to a MS 67 or 67+ CAC Lincoln Red coin when it comes

Does the Omaha Bank Hoard provenance add value to a MS 67 or 67+ CAC Lincoln Red coin when it comes time to sell. Any thoughts. Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

None whatsoever. If I recall correctly these were rolls and rolls of coins certified in bulk and given the label. I would likely avoid a coin with the OBH label if given the choice.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    IndianlincolnIndianlincoln Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

It may take away value imo I’ve seen many Omaha bank hoard coins

Doesn’t peak my interest

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @TomB and @Indianlincoln . When those coins first hit the market there were thousands and I thought they were very "generously" graded. I'd buy one if and only if it had a CAC sticker.

Mark

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple coins from the hoard. I didn't buy them because of the OBH on the label, but because they were nice coins. I didn't pay a premium and wouldn't expect one if I were to sell them.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree "no value added" for that hoard.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.... and it looks like not for many others. Never been a provenance chaser of any venue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

No premium, nor should there be. The axiom is buy the coin and not the slab label. If I wanted to collect labels, I would collect labels, just not on coin slabs. Oh, and I do not have any coins from that or any other "hoard."

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an interesting thread from 2007

"How BIG The Omaha Bank Hoard is, it's affect on Numismatics AND WHO owns it!"

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/591973/how-big-the-omaha-bank-hoard-is-its-affect-on-numismatics-and-who-owns-it

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omaha Bank Hoard and the Binion hoard are two "hoards" that do not add any value. They flooded the market with those coins. Some are nice, but the provenance adds zero value.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see TV sellers pushing the "XXXX Hoard" labeled items, that's when I know they've jumped the shark.
    Of course there are (insert numismatic luminary's name here) collection coins that bring crazy premiums at auction, but often those labels also don't seem to be as big a deal when going to sell said items down the line.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for myself and I expect that it would not for most people here. Out in the bigger marketplace I have no doubt that it is liked by some, and some collectors likely would pay a modest premium.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time they were graded and disbursed, I found many to be low quality for the grades assigned. I remember others felt the same here on the boards.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to me...and I'm a big fan of provenance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file