Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Boxes (REFERENCE GUIDE)

Hello everyone! I haven't seen a discussion quite like this yet, so I figured I'd start one. I have recently started collecting PCGS boxes and I realized that there are so many different colors (like orange, mint, and green), as well as cardboard boxes, rattler boxes, velvet boxes, internal use only boxes (the clear smoky ones), and extra wide boxes. I would like to create a discussion where people can post pictures of their PCGS boxes and help create a reference guide/classification guide of all the boxes out there. Also, any information regarding the box's value, how many were made, or anything else you feel is relevant to the discussion is welcome. (If anyone is selling unique boxes please reach out to me)

I am new to the forum, and this is the first discussion I've ever created. It's good to be here and I hope to learn a lot!

• Teakie2

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 10:34PM

I like the thread idea. I have silver, black, blue, mint green...hmmm
    Welcome to the forum.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Teakie2 said:
    internal use only boxes (the clear smoky ones)

I have one of the clear smoky ones. They are the bomb!

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 3:40AM

Welcome to the posting side of the forum

Let’s see
    I have a dark green, a lime green ( my favorite), blue, black, silver and a gold. Nice first topic. Very nice 👍🏼
    The orange remains too pricey and @Zoins , I’m unfamiliar with this “smoky plastic “ beauty. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Teakie2Teakie2 Posts: 13 ✭✭

I'll add a few of mine too! I have my gold and silver boxes, my green, mint, and also some white cardboard boxes that are really short and only hold 10 coins... I actually picked them up for $2 each at my LCS about a year ago when I was a new collector.

@Zoins said:

@Teakie2 said:
    internal use only boxes (the clear smoky ones)

I have one of the clear smoky ones. They are the bomb!

Wow! thats so cool! I'd love to see what they look like, I had no idea those existed until recently

edited March 19, 2023 11:38AM

@DelawareDoons said:
    Here's a rare one.

Woooaaaahhhh that is stunning! Is this the velvet box? Ive never seen one in person and it looks to be in beautiful condition! Do you know about when these were issued?

@SoCalBigMark is that a rattler box?

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold all my 30+ orange boxes already but I still have some coins in orange holder which is also hard to find.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 12:32PM

@Teakie2 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Here's a rare one.

Woooaaaahhhh that is stunning! Is this the velvet box? Ive never seen one in person and it looks to be in beautiful condition! Do you know about when these were issued?

Early 1990's I think. IIRC they were made to hold short sets of walkers. I think it sold for somewhere around $500-$600 to a dealer. So yes, very rare and desirable.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

This probably isn't relevant to the discussion but you or others might find it useful. I don't have a lot of any one TPG'er slabs. I have a few of each. I needed a few boxes that held "each" of the TPG'er slabs; NGC, ANACS (both newer and the older small soapbars), PCGS, ICG, VSS , etc..slabs. I found this box. It looks like a PCGS but it's generic.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for one of those orange boxes. I just wasn't smart enough to send in one of those basketball coins in at that time.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have black, blue, dark green, silver and gold. Didn't know some of one listed even existed.lol Some very neat ones, I like this thread.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have hundreds of them. (Would not want to tally up how much was spent on submissions.) Most are blue with some being green, from 1990s forward. The black and gold from the more recent submissions. Some other in between them probably. Rarely pay attention to the colors. Should probably liquidate them at some point.

The box I really liked was the old translucent brown NGC one. The lid clicked snug and held just about any slabs.

@pointfivezero said:
    PCGS offered these green felt boxes for the Regency holders in the 1990's:

Oh my that is crazy cool, I just learned about regency holders too so that's fascinating for me. Is this part of your collection?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Welcome aboard, @Teakie2. Somewhat similar to the materials in @DelawareDoons post, PCGS offered these green felt boxes for the Regency holders in the 1990's:

Closeup of the top half?

• JW77JW77 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread; great first post/ Enjoyed looking at all the varieties out there. Some cool boxes , but I got to say special mention to @DelawareDoons for that killer velvet10 slab case. Only very special coins deserve to be in that beauty.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 10:40PM

I have 5 types

@Teakie2 said:
    @SoCalBigMark is that a rattler box?

Correct.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Teakie2 said:
    ... and also some white cardboard boxes that are really short and only hold 10 coins... I actually picked them up for $2 each at my LCS about a year ago when I was a new collector.

I have one of these I take with me to shows. I've been asked on multiple occasions if I wanted to sell it. I wish they still used these for small orders, although they don't cost any less to ship than the big ones. I'd think they'd be preferred over the plastic ones for show grading, too, since it's less bulk to ship to a show.

@messydesk said:
    Here's a box for the larger slabs. This one has a foam insert for 10 normal slabs in it. NGC slabs fit with the lid closed. Without the insert it holds 10 of the large slabs. Not sure if the insert is from PCGS or if it's custom.

A double wide! that's so cool! I hear they don't make these anymore... does anyone know what PCGS does now for double wide slabs? Is it cardboard? could I get double wide boxes like this in gold or mint green? that would be so cool

It’s my understanding that the boxes come with completed pcgs orders. They are available on the secondary market but I can’t find them selling from pcgs as a stand alone item. Although some have suggested that with an air brush you can have any color you like. 🙀

@Lakesammman said:
    I'm told this was a prototype, 5 made - never put into production.

Awesome box!

Does this qualify for your "rare plastic" thread? :)

Here is my newest addition to the rare PCGS box discussion... This MONSTROSITY of a PCGS box is cardboard with a plastic mold insert that can hold up to 25 coins! easily the biggest official PCGS box i've ever seen.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Teakie2 said:
    Here is my newest addition to the rare PCGS box discussion... This MONSTROSITY of a PCGS box is cardboard with a plastic mold insert that can hold up to 25 coins! easily the biggest official PCGS box i've ever seen.

When did that arrive?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@Teakie2 said:

When did that arrive?

I have one that I got in 2020

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not see any with the new lid that has a gold shield on it. The lid is very similar to the standard lid but adds a gold colored shield before the PCGS (similar to the black shield before PCGS on the 35th anniversary lids). Black colored lid but don't know if the shield might not be on other lid colors (non-35th anniversary).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

edited March 25, 2023 9:25AM

@jt88 said:
    I sold all my 30+ orange boxes already

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    The orange remains too pricey

The orange boxes seem impossible to find now. I don't see any listed on eBay, in the active or sold listings.

I think the orange boxes were the first modern promotions and people were surprised by how popular they were and how much the boxes were selling for. I recall many selling at $88 and some even over $100.

• BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 2:11PM

I have a PCGS silver double wide box for my curved commemoratives (Baseball, Basketball, and Apollo).

edited March 25, 2023 2:25PM

@ lilolme
    Ive got one of the black boxes. Gold Indeed is the lettering on this one

• BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 2:28PM

I also have a dual coin (side by side) holder. Can't find a pic though.

Here is my most recent pickup! 2020 Orange Box. Was issued for a very limited time when you submitted a 2020 basketball hall of fame commemorative for grading. Very rare!

@Teakie2 said:
    Here is my most recent pickup! 2020 Orange Box. Was issued for a very limited time when you submitted a 2020 basketball hall of fame commemorative for grading. Very rare!

How much? 😳

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

" ... PCGS offered these green felt boxes for the Regency holders in the 1990's:"

PCGS did not sell these boxes. They boxes were actually made, and sold with the contents shown in the pic above, by a third party.

Approximately to 373 to 378 mint state and 10-15 proof Israeli 5 Lirot coins from the Danny Kaye Estate were graded and placed in the PCGS REGENCY Holders. These “Danny Kaye Estate” coins were sold in custom made velvet green box with the PCGS REGENCY Holder and the green velvet bag, as well as a picture of Danny Kaye, the original wooden holder for the 5 Lirot coin, and a DVD format movie that Danny Kaye starred in.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It’s my understanding that the boxes come with completed pcgs orders. They are available on the secondary market but I can’t find them selling from pcgs as a stand alone item. Although some have suggested that with an air brush you can have any color you like. 🙀

Plastic PCGS boxes are available directly from PCGS: https://www.pcgs.com/store/p-20-pcgs-plastic-storage-box.aspx

Years ago PCGS also offered single and double row wood boxes on their website.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • My final pickup to complete the PCGS rare box collection:

The Legendary Smoky Grey Translucent PCGS box. This niche rarity was an "Internal Use Only" box and was never supposed to be in the collector's hands. Unfortunately there is a small chip on the corner of the lid, but this is easily the nicest one I have ever seen. Minimal scratches and dings, crisp opening and closing, and very clear plastic. Cost me dearly I'm afraid, but I hope you all enjoy!

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

35th Anniversary PCGS “Mint Chip” Box. Custom made by a former PCGS employee. Only 2.5 were made. Two complete boxes, and one with just the bottom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file