• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coins!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 7:22PM

@edwardjulio said:
    Bowers & Merena Bass II Sale, Lot #1556, October 1999:

Very nice coin! Sold a long time ago! Here's the TV:

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's been said ad nauseam but why, oh why can we not have that kind of artistic design on today's coinage?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2023 5:47AM

@gonzer said:
    I know it's been said ad nauseam but why, oh why can we not have that kind of artistic design on today's coinage?

While this has been asked ad nauseam, I'm guessing the reason is that it's not important enough to work with our system of governance as I've never met a single person who has written their elected officials in Congress about this. For example, there was a bill to bring back older-style designs in 2013, but it didn't get enough support. I've never met a single person who said they wrote or spoke to Congress to support this bill.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/971838/does-lady-liberty-have-a-better-chance-now#latest

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I've always been fascinated by the crossover between postage and coins!

It's fascinating that this was struck during the Civil War. It would be great to look up some background on these events.

Did any of these experiments result in actual postage tokens?

This one has a nice Bass-Simpson pedigree.

I liked this one as it was a Copper version of these experiments. I ran out of steam on bidding on this piece ... I would have gone another increment but I was holding out for a couple of latter pieces that I also liked and wanted - I wanted to balance out where I spent my money ,,, oh well. I did lose out on one of those later patterns as well even even though I had bid several times beyond what I had planned = but Patterns are so unpredictable.

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    Recent FUN show purchase......My second favorite Barber designs behind the Amazonian.

What a great looking piece ... congrats on picking that one up ... a DCAM w/ CAC . I trust it looks just as nice in hand if not better? The Heritage Slab photos looks great

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Cow Facelifter! That coin is stunning beyond words.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    Holy Cow Facelifter! That coin is stunning beyond words.

Thanks- she’s definitely a keeper!

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a display of the MOST MARVELOUS eye candies 🥰
    Thank you all for sharing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file