Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Dansco Album I've never seen before. Anyone familiar with it?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

Comments

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen that one, just the one page?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Haven't seen that one, just the one page?

Here are all the pages:

peacockcoins

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it was a custom album made for "Federal Coin Fund" to sell?
    Sounds like they might have been a telemarketer:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/731905/anyone-ever-heard-of-the-federal-coin-fund-dover-de

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Fascinating find. I've never seen or heard of this album before. It's definitely not a standard album.

Can you take a picture of the back of the album? It should indicate who it was made for

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s interesting; I was looking for something like this a few years ago, but ended up using a blank half dollar album.

One of my COVID projects was assembling a "complete" set of silver Kennedy halves -- 58 different coins to date, and it could easily be expanded with more varieties. It quite an interesting set; the variation in design over the years has been interesting; there are quite a few quirks in 1964, with the many circulating coin varieties (DDO, TDO, QDO, overstamped mint marks), the accented hair proof; there are the bicentennial issues, the matte coin of 1998, and the quite interesting finishes in the 50th anniversary set. (although I tend to be a bit skeptical of coins issued to commemorate coins, the 2014 Kennedy set is rather nice) It is also interesting to see the evolution is proof coin production technology.

Higashiyama
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen that one before either, looks interesting. I wonder if it was made in the 80's or maybe the early 90's since there are no spaces for the 92 and newer silver proofs.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen one either

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

what is on the inside of the back cover? anything on the bottom of the outside spline cover below Kennedy Silver half dollar set?

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any 4-digit album number?

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a limited run issued before the start of the 1992 silver sets. Someone wanted to offer a different kind of set. It would be interesting to see it redone with today's available silver issues, from the silver proofs to the matte uncirculated to the reverse proofs. You could even include the Special Mint Set coins as well.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 8:40PM

@braddick, what's the number on the spline??

^
    I don't own it.

peacockcoins

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting... I had looked for such an album a few years ago... never found one. Then sort of forgot about it. If anyone finds a source, please post it here. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bizarre layout.
    Where are the S mint marks?
    I like the idea that this is a telemarketer special printing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I just purchased this listing and will have it in a few days. I, too, am curious about its origins.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file