Home U.S. Coin Forum

UOC. Under, Over or Correct. 1921 Peace.

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace Dollar. Graded MS63 in a Rattler with green bean.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 3:20PM

UOC??? Whassthat?

Grade depends on luster, the character of which is always just a bit different on the 21.

From these photos, I see a nice coin held back by slightly negative eye appeal and not enough luster to grade higher.

The one-sided toning implies it spent quite a bit of time in an album. It looks quite original, but not necessarily gorgeous.

Overall, I like it at MS63/63+ with a shot at 64.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

great analysis from @BryceM in my opinion

Your images are small and somewhat difficult, however it looks solid as a 63. I don't really think it's a shot 64 from what I can see, but I'm going to default to JA and Bryce ... the bean means it probably at least has a shot, and @BryceM knows MS Peace Dollars more than most

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    UOC??? Whassthat?

Grade depends on luster, the character of which is always just a bit different on the 21.

From these photos, I see a nice coin held back by slightly negative eye appeal and not enough luster to grade higher.

The one-sided toning implies it spent quite a bit of time in an album. It looks quite original, but not necessarily gorgeous.

Overall, I like it at MS63/63+ with a shot at 64.

@pursuitofliberty said:
    great analysis from @BryceM in my opinion

Your images are small and somewhat difficult, however it looks solid as a 63. I don't really think it's a shot 64 from what I can see, but I'm going to default to JA and Bryce ... the bean means it probably at least has a shot, and @BryceM knows MS Peace Dollars more than most

Was wondering what folks would think of the toning. I consider it neutral. There is good but not great luster. I really like the strike and the coin is the Vam 1H I believe. Here are some larger photos.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    UOC??? Whassthat?

It's the new game I am trying to get to stick. A diversion from GTG. I lay it out there and let people respond on how they see the coin. I personally feel like you learn more discussing the assigned grade than guessing a grade.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on new images, I see the toning as neutral to slightly positive, but I like toning (some people don't, especially on Peace Dollars for some reason). I also see it with a better shot at 64 now.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the toning as neutral to very slightly attractive. Maybe we can start a classification system for color and it can be like the diamond inclusion scale :lol:.

Anyways, since I see the toning as such, I grade It 64.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike is pretty good for a 21. Toning is not pretty.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct to me.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice at 63!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @BryceM, and the tarnish is Ugly... with a capital U... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file