I think I’m in love

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

She shore is a pretty girl…
What you says? Should I make an offer??

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, beautiful coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

One of a kind. Go for it.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do it.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 8:56PM

“I’ve got a dollar “. “ dang monster said 3.50”. “ don’t have no 3.50”. 😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm familiar with that coin and it was definitely not on my shortlist of items that I expected to see pop up in this thread!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

So curious about the low cert number! Are you allowed to keep the original number if you submit for a re-holder?
    Otherwise can someone explain how this occurs

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 9:22PM

@2windy2fish said:
    So curious about the low cert number! Are you allowed to keep the original number if you submit for a re-holder?

Cert numbers are not issued sequentially. It could have been issued last week. Otherwise you'd be able to deduce when a coin was graded, and our host would prefer to keep some of that information to themselves.

That said, re-holders are usually given the same cert number.

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Understood but that is a really low number…
    Have not seen anything in that neighborhood for years…

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:

A little research shows a reconsideration from an older gen holder. It got the +, kept the cert # and was re-stickered with the bean

Beautiful coin. Lots of $$

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@2windy2fish said:

Cert numbers are not issued sequentially. It could have been issued last week. Otherwise you'd be able to deduce when a coin was graded, and our host would prefer to keep some of that information to themselves.

I'm not sure about that. I have only been submitting for a couple of years but the cert numbers sure seem to be moving sequentially, both with my subs and others that I know have been freshly subbed.

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed though that reholders or + only reconsiderations keep the same cert#.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was sent in for reconsideration and received the + designation while retaining its old cert number. It sold at an HA auction a dozen years ago with the same cert number, but without the + designation.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB Good song, but no. My brain is barely functioning right now. Second coffee brewing now 😃

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice coin... Significant investment though....Cheers, RickO

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@BryceM said:

@2windy2fish said:

I'm not sure about that. I have only been submitting for a couple of years but the cert numbers sure seem to be moving sequentially, both with my subs and others that I know have been freshly subbed.

I have no idea what they’re doing now, but various blocks of cert numbers have been issued all over the place since they went to the 8-digit format a couple decades ago. Of this, I’m quite certain.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Really nice coin... Significant investment though....Cheers, RickO

That's an understatement! You could buy two new Corvettes for $200k! Wow...

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    By the way, has anyone else had this going through their head constantly since reading the thread title?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MJbBSIFN36k

Quite appropriate. Maybe that bite set off the love, I think?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 2:16PM

Hello. I normally don't like Barber coins. This one is quite exceptional. I wish you could buy it, but it might have to remain eye-candy for you for the time being. Good luck!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

wowzers! didn't expect that! I'll retreat to the shallow end of the pool again... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice coin. I kind of draw the line closer to a single paycheck than the value of my house, though, so I can't really offer much guidance here. Good luck --

mirabela
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew! Just call me Mr. champagne taste on a beer budget...

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a looker!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    She shore is a pretty girl…
    What you says? Should I make an offer??

Buy the coin not the holder. So yes, if it hits your funny bone and you got the funds. Go for it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice one!

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 9:57AM

So yeah, I love the coin itself and it has really beautiful surfaces. I do not understand the pricing of the 1904-s though. If you compare, let's say the 1901-s and 1904-s, two prime rarities in the series, it gets even more confusing. The 1901-s has 15 coins certified by PCGS in all grades from MS-65 up, and the 1904-s has 11 coins certified. That's a pretty similar number. The PCGS price guide has the 1901-s in MS-67+ priced at $62,500. and the 1904-s priced in 67+ at a whopping $200,000. Now either the 1901-s is an absolute bargain, or the 1904-s is priced way too high, but the difference between the two in terms of rarity just does not add up to the price differential.

Now it gets even more confusing if you compare the 04-s to the 01-o The 01-0 has a smaller population certified from MS-65 up of only 8 coins, yet is priced at $85,000. in MS-67+

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a bell ringer !!!

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially PURDY!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

And then there was this one:

No takers on the donations?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file