Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint product quality drops, as prices rise...! (Womens 3-roll quarter set)

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2023 2:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received the 1st 2023 Womens 3-roll quarter set. See photo with side-by-side comparison. Even from last year, the quality has dropped to nothing more than a cardboard box. I was going to cancel my subscription, but my wife said not to, and whenever my wife lets me buy coins, I just do it...

I'll most likely cancel the rest, as I see no value in this product as the mintage has more than doubled from last year, the price is now $60 and the packaging presentation is cheap.

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2023 4:18PM

I don’t know so ill just ask. Is there much added value to mint rolls once the packaging is opened?

I have a few white boxes of 2005 nickels that are unopened and I’ve considered opening them just to save space.

But I do like the idea of not wasting resources for packaging.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole question of mint packaging is an interesting one. The 2009 UHR double eagles came with a gorgeous wooden display box. 90% of those coins were slabbed, and the boxes ultimately thrown away.

I could see a future time when the OGP was collectible in its own right, but such things are hard to predict.

As for the quarters, I agree with the OP.

• Options

@DNADave,
    not sure, but i don't believe that it matters for rolls? Maybe it depends on the year/mint?

Is there much added value to mint rolls once the packaging is opened?

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

quality drops, as prices rise

This pertains to so many things these days

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The whole question of mint packaging is an interesting one. The 2009 UHR double eagles came with a gorgeous wooden display box. 90% of those coins were slabbed, and the boxes ultimately thrown away.

I could see a future time when the OGP was collectible in its own right, but such things are hard to predict.

As for the quarters, I agree with the OP.

OGP for 1936-1942 proofs have some collectible value in their own right. Maybe the US Mint should offer a display box that can fit a PCGS or NGC slab and you can add that to your order.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me but I can't get too excited over the packaging for mint rolls. BTW, it's the packaging and not the coins that has dropped in quality.

What do people do with the rolls? I've gotten a few (S rolls) over the years and I opened them. Do other people keep the rolls intact in perpetuity?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 4:57AM

I collected all but one of the double set (proof and Uncirculated) of the modern commemorative coins. They are really classy looking, but few collectors care. Slabs are were the money is.

BTW the one set I don’t have is the outrageous, over blown 32 piece Atlanta Olympics set. I have the 16 piece Proof set. Every time I priced the 32 piece set, the asking price was way out of line.

There is a difference between economical packaging and cheep and cheesy. Now the packaging is an embarrassment to the mint, especially at the prices they are charging. When I received the 2021 Peace Dollar, I could not believe how flimsy the box was.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps, they will offer these again. They were very popular in 2020😂🙀
    Oh, wait, their still available and only $21.50. Very good deal 😂🙀😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

There is a difference between economical packaging and cheep and cheesy. Now the packaging is an embarrassment to the mint, especially at the prices they are charging. When I received the 2021 Peace Dollar, I could not believe how flimsy the box was.

I agree completely, but the reason could at least in part be due to all the slabbing that is routinely done. Maybe they've raised the white flag on that. I'd hate to think how much mint packaging has ended up in landfills over the years.

As I recall, the mint experimented with different packaging options years ago. I think it was the Capitol Visitor's Center uncirculated clad half dollar that I purchased in a soft pack (like the uncirculated Ike dollars) rather than a box, saving a buck or two.

And I believe that bulk proof Silver Eagles are sold just in the capsules.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packaging has never concerned or interested me. I have many, many mint products still in the original boxes. I keep them there for protection... Unless I have the coin slabbed... then I toss the package. It is always the coin that interests me.... not the package. Just like people, character and actions, not the clothes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK. For a commemorative silver dollar that you might give as a gift, a nicer box might be better. I really don't see the need for the Mint to devote much effort or expense to putting quarter rolls in a fancy box.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Packaging has never concerned or interested me. I have many, many mint products still in the original boxes. I keep them there for protection... Unless I have the coin slabbed... then I toss the package. It is always the coin that interests me.... not the package. Just like people, character and actions, not the clothes. Cheers, RickO

There is a market for the original packaging for the classic commemoratives. Former ANA president and commemorative expert and author, Anthony Swiatek, used to have a number of those pieces when he set up at the winter FUN shows. Here are a couple of examples.

For the modern commemoratives, the COA is very important if you are selling the coins in the mint package. I learned that one the hard way when I was a dealer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2023 6:41AM

Okay, I got it, the coin quality is more important, and many collectors may prefer to slab.

But it's the principle that counts, you pay a premium to the mint, why not get your money's worth? My point, prices go up and what are we paying more for? Same 3 roll set, prices up and stored is cardboard.

Let us not forget the 2021 Morgans/Peace, many complaints about the coin quality.

Thanks to all for your comments!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones .... I agree, especially for dealers, or those who sell casually. All the coins I have in mint boxes (which are many), have the COA as issued. Not being a big seller, I just keep them original and store them that way. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would assume that the newer packaging is cheaper to produce. Isn’t it a good thing when our government cuts unnecessary costs (no matter where the Mint’s funding actually comes from)?

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Okay, I got it, the coin quality is more important, and many collectors may prefer to slab.

But it's the principle that counts, you pay a premium to the mint, why not get your money's worth? My point, prices go up and what are we paying more for? Same 3 roll set, prices up and stored is cardboard.

Let us not forget the 2021 Morgans/Peace, many complaints about the coin quality.

Well I agree with you, I have been getting the three boxes and selling one at cost to my local dealer. Now without those boxes he is not going to want to buy three rolls when it looks like I went thru them. Plus I would think any sales on ebay will now be Much lower without those being in the boxes. I am going to reduce my subscription to 1 from here on. It was just easy to put away those boxes and not have rolls all over the place.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1tommy If the rolls are original mint wrapped then they are still sealed, so to speak 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

There is one very simple solution. You wean yourself off of as many modern mint products as your can, and concentrate on the old material which is the bread and butter of this hobby.

Chances are your heirs with thank you. Even the new stuff that is good initially, sometimes for many years, falls into disinterest. I was shocked the other day when I looked in the Greysheet and saw what had happened to the prices for the 1960 large and small date cent Proof sets. Back in the 1970s, the Proof small date cent sold for $40 to $50. Now there is $5 difference between the two sets. Given the amount of inflation between now and the 1970s, that $5 value for the cent is a huge loss in value.

I've got myself back to the the current year's silver Proof set. That's it. There is very little modern stuff that will get my attention and my pocketbook.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

Yes there were justified complaints but still better quality than the original series. Much harder to get an 1800s dated MS69 Morgan.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2023 7:38AM

@BillJones said:
    There is one very simple solution. You wean yourself off of as many modern mint products as your can, and concentrate on the old material which is the bread and butter of this hobby.

Chances are your heirs with thank you. Even the new stuff that is good initially, sometimes for many years, falls into disinterest. I was shocked the other day when I looked in the Greysheet and saw what had happened to the prices for the 1960 large and small date cent Proof sets. Back in the 1970s, the Proof small date cent sold for $40 to $50. Now there is $5 difference between the two sets. Given the amount of inflation between now and the 1970s, that $5 value for the cent is a huge loss in value.

I've got myself back to the the current year's silver Proof set. That's it. There is very little modern stuff that will get my attention and my pocketbook.

I will say that the US Mint is doing a good thing with bringing back the old series. The Morgan’s and Peace Dollars have me more interested in collecting US Mint products than before, where I was most interested in buying US Mint products to flip. Also the 2016 Gold Walkers are the most fully struck walkers you can find. Some classic series are worth buying while others, all you have to do is wait for the US Mint to come up with a modern rendition for because it might be better than the original in some respects.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Voluntary taxes.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 8:36AM

It seems to be a common practice these days. Same or higher prices for less product and less quality packaging. A little OT, but I buy a certain brand of dog food. Went 2 days ago to buy more, bag went from 20lbs to 16lbs and charging same price. The consumer pays whiles companies maintain profits!
    And to add, I doubt the mint makes their own coin packaging. They are most likely being charged more for premium packaging also.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2023 9:01AM

@bsshog40 said:
    It seems to be a common practice these days. Same or higher prices for less product and less quality packaging. A little OT, but I buy a certain brand of dog food. Went 2 days ago to buy more, bag went from 20lbs to 16lbs and charging same price. The consumer pays whiles companies maintain profits!
    And to add, I doubt the mint makes their own coin packaging. They are most likely being charged more for premium packaging also.

Thank you, Mr. Bi...

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 9:04AM

@Joe_360 said:

Thank you,

I would edit this or you may get the thread poofed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file