Home Sports Talk

Double Dragon's Simply Phenomenal Countdown to NFL Season Opener 2023 and Beyond!

AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright folks... You all asked for it, so here it is. Keep the gloves on, keep it clean and have some fun.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @AFLfan! Ok people, it's going to be a long offseason, here is the appriximate time remaining until the start of the 2023 NFL season!

I'll start the thread off with this insane story, a Chiefs fan got this tattoo a few days before the Super Bowl, it looks like his investment paid off!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank You again @AFLfan and @doubledragon

🏈

edited February 13, 2023 1:28PM

@perkdog said:

🏈

No problem buddy, it's going to be a long, tough road, but we'll get though this nightmare called the offseason! 🍻

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

🏈

No problem buddy, it's going to be a long, tough road, but we'll get though this nightmare called the offseason! 🍻

Absolutely!

Let's make it a plan to give this thread even more action than the first one!!!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if the Chiefs don’t win the SB next year then I definitely hope the Buffalo Bills win it. I’m always going to root for the AFC and I like JoshAllen a lot more than Joe Burrow. And it would be nice to see 2deuces finally be able to celebrate a SB victory.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Well if the Chiefs don’t win the SB next year then I definitely hope the Buffalo Bills win it. I’m always going to root for the AFC and I like JoshAllen a lot more than Joe Burrow. And it would be nice to see 2deuces finally be able to celebrate a SB victory.

I'm all for Allen, Burrow, Herbert or Mac Jones getting a Super Bowl Win!!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perkdog I would rather see Brady unretire and win another one than have burrow win one.
    Just don’t like burrow I know you have to be confident to be elite but he goes overboard imo.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as long as we don't get stuck in the weeds re Burrow and Ed Ogerons ex wife and that divorce.

Have a nice day

@Darin said:
    Perkdog I would rather see Brady unretire and win another one than have burrow win one.
    Just don’t like burrow I know you have to be confident to be elite but he goes overboard imo.

He is got the joe cool thing going on that's for sure

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lesean-mccoy-calls-out-eric-bieniemy-questions-value-former-chiefs-oc-will-bring-to-commanders/

A little straight talk from Shady.

I am at a loss as to why Bienemy is always talked about as he should be a head coach, I think he needs to prove his salt outside of KC

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    edited February 23, 2023 1:11PM

As far as I know, Aaron Rodgers has a no trade clause. The Packers want to move on without him. And they are waiting for him to decide what he wants to do.

Edited for word

If anyone wants to pass some time, or get their football fix, here is a "mini movie" of the past season made by the NFL...

https://youtu.be/o0d_YyEBVk4

The above is the regular season. It is just shy of 2 hrs run time.

Here is the playoff version of the same by the NFL. It's under 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfs5qqjf3o

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

This is silly, wind power continues to grow bigger in Tejas (leading state for wind power) and the Cowpuppies continue to embarrass themselves. Who would equate the two?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wind farms present more danger to Eagles than the Cowboys.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy G to the Raiders

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Replaces Clowney - Should be a huge improvement.

"Cleveland Browns to sign former Texans defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo to three-year deal"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Ezekiel Elliot released

172 days until kickoff.

@doubledragon said:
    172 days until kickoff.

It's about time you updated your thread 🤣🤣🤣

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    172 days until kickoff.

I keep forgetting about this thread, I blame Aaron Rodgers!

edited March 19, 2023 4:26PM

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    172 days until kickoff.

excuses I keep forgetting about this thread, I blame Aaron Rodgers! excuses

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think there is something wrong on my end of the forum, because this is how your comment came through.

ETA: no.days.off.

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    172 days until kickoff.

excuses I keep forgetting about this thread, I blame Aaron Rodgers! excuses

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think there is something wrong on my end of the forum, because this is how your comment came through.

ETA: no.days.off.

No, it's true, Aaron Rodgers has taken up all my time, this Jets saga is my baby. For instance, did you know that celebrity private investigator Bo Dietl has offered to treat Aaron Rodgers to dinner at Rao's, it's one of the most prestigious restaurants in New York and nearly impossible to get a reservation at this joint.

If Aaron Rodgers accepts the invitation to Rao's, he will be following in the footsteps of Phil Simms, Joe Montana, Boomer Esiason, and Peyton Manning, who celebrated his second Super Bowl title at Rao’s with brother Eli in February 2016!

I do worry about Zach Wilson though, Aaron Rodgers is a bad influence, always getting stoned. I just hope Rodgers doesn't get him all strung out on dope.

Touchback proposal, Part II. Under this proposal, if a kickoff returner calls for a fair catch anywhere behind the 25-yard line, the receiving team will get the ball at the 25-yard line. This essentially means that any kickoff caught between the goal line and the 24-yard line can be moved up to the 25-yard line as long as the return calls for a fair catch.

If this goes through, why are they even going to kick off? I guess that's the point. They want returns out of the game, I know.

@thisistheshow said:

Touchback proposal, Part II. Under this proposal, if a kickoff returner calls for a fair catch anywhere behind the 25-yard line, the receiving team will get the ball at the 25-yard line. This essentially means that any kickoff caught between the goal line and the 24-yard line can be moved up to the 25-yard line as long as the return calls for a fair catch.

If this goes through, why are they even going to kick off? I guess that's the point. They want returns out of the game, I know.

Agreed, it's definitely a more dangerous part of the game but I wonder how many injuries actually occurred in recent years, meaning has it gotten to be a lot more to the point that of looking at these changes?

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Agreed, it's definitely a more dangerous part of the game but I wonder how many injuries actually occurred in recent years, meaning has it gotten to be a lot more to the point that of looking at these changes?

I have read for years that it is the most or one of the most dangerous parts of the game.

I mentioned before that I graduated HS with Sean Morey. He had a long career on special teams. He retired due to MANY concussions. And he has had subsequent issues despite being not yet quite 50 years old.

But guys like that, who were the best at a skill position in HS or college, often can't find careers in the league unless they are of the make to transition into special teams guys. Those guys are often the kind of players we want to root for. They do the dirty work, make less, and provide us with the big plays and the big hits that have been eliminated from the game on regular plays. Huge returns are electrifying. A gunner coming in and making a huge hut after sprinting full-field is electrifying. A special teams ace diving into the end zone to bat a ball back into play so it can be downed at the one is electrifying. Take these out of the game and it's just not the same, in my opinion.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/wild_stat_demonstrates_raiders_recent_drafting_incompetence/s1_13132_38621951

Check this out, it's amazing how bad some teams are with drafting.

The Raiders take the cake!

@perkdog said:
    https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/wild_stat_demonstrates_raiders_recent_drafting_incompetence/s1_13132_38621951

Check this out, it's amazing how bad some teams are with drafting.

The Raiders take the cake!

I caught part of a segment yesterday on Dallas sports radio talking about this, breaking down the Dallas part of it. They are at the top of the list (in a good way) but the segment was detailing a few things...yes the Cowboys have actually been good drafting especially in the high rounds. However, they have been much much poorer in the last few rounds, ad they have a tendency to overplay, overpay, and keep too long guys they drafted.

Sorry I haven't been around much in the past few days, I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks helping out a family friend that's sick. In the meantime, 152 days until kickoff.

@doubledragon said:
    Sorry I haven't been around much in the past few days, I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks helping out a family friend that's sick. In the meantime, 152 days until kickoff.

Let me know if you need anything.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks buddy. 🖒

@doubledragon

We will hold up the fort while your handling business, safe travels and see you when you get back brother!

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon

We will hold up the fort while your handling business, safe travels and see you when you get back brother!

Thanks buddy, I shall return! 🍻

Draft is two weeks from tomorrow.

Over the last many years I've significantly changed how and when I consume sports news. All "news" really. As a result, at least in terms of sports, I'm not always on top of things like I used to be. Probably still more than your average person, but you guys know what I mean. My point is that I am sometimes a bit out of the loop on things. I don't follow as closely as I once did.

So...I'm not really keeping up with my team this off-season.

This comment really has no point, but I'll keep it here for posterity.

@thisistheshow thats what CU Sports talk is for, we got enough people here posting that we get all the up to date news!!!!

@perkdog said:
    @thisistheshow thats what CU Sports talk is for, we got enough people here posting that we get all the up to date news!!!!

This is true.

It used to be very rare that I read so etching on here, in terms of breaking news, that I hadn't heard. But as of late, yes, I sometimes learn it here.

I know that DD sometimes likes to start a fresh thread, but having a breaking news thread would be good too. I know it's not happening, and it would be too much work to keep things like that.

Ok, how bout this instead...custom fitted hats. Maybe 'ST' on the front.

No, you say? Ok, back to sports...

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

This is true.

It used to be very rare that I read so etching on here, in terms of breaking news, that I hadn't heard. But as of late, yes, I sometimes learn it here.

I know that DD sometimes likes to start a fresh thread, but having a breaking news thread would be good too. I know it's not happening, and it would be too much work to keep things like that.

Ok, how bout this instead...custom fitted hats. Maybe 'ST' on the front.

No, you say? Ok, back to sports...

I've been trying to not start so many threads lately, I want other people to have a chance to start up some discussions, I tend to get a bit carried away and drown out other people's threads, plus I've been a bit busy lately helping out an elderly neighbor that's having some health problems. Oh, and just in case anyone is wondering, the latest update on Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers Trade Rumors: Packers Want 2023 2nd-Rounder, 2024 1st-Rounder from Jets

The Green Bay Packers reportedly want a 2023 second-round pick and a guaranteed 2024 first-rounder in return from the New York Jets for quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reported the news on the Wilde and Tausch show (36:40 mark) and added that the Packers are willing to give the Jets some draft compensation back in 2025 if Rodgers retires after the 2023 campaign.

However, Robinson reported Jets owner Woody Johnson refuses to deal a guaranteed first-round pick.

Per Robinson, Johnson has cold feet after the Denver Broncos traded a haul of picks (including 2022 and 2023 first-rounders) to the Seattle Seahawks for quarterback Russell Wilson only to finish in last place in the AFC West last year.

The Packers and Jets reportedly had parameters of the deal in place, per Robinson, but Rodgers' remarks on the Pat McAfee Show that he was "90 percent" certain he would retire before contemplating his future at a darkness retreat led to negotiation snafus.

Robinson added that the parameters would have been a third-rounder in 2023 and a first-rounder in 2024.

Rodgers, a four-time NFL MVP, said on the March 15 edition of the Pat McAfee Show that he intends to play for the Jets after 18 seasons in Green Bay. Nearly one month later, the Jets and Packers have yet to agree upon trade compensation involving Rodgers, who may still be on Green Bay's roster after the NFL draft, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"There hasn't been a whole lot of conversation, if any, over the last couple of weeks, going back to the owners meetings [from March 26-28]," Schefter said Tuesday on NFL Live, per Jenna Lemoncelli of the New York Post.

He added: "What's interesting is if the two sides can't figure out a deal by the time the draft comes [beginning April 27], then the Jets go ahead and make their picks… and Aaron Rodgers then has a decision to make about whether or not to show up to the mandatory minicamp in May."

For now, the staredown between the Packers and Jets continues as the future of Rodgers remains in limbo.

@doubledragon I wasn't implying anything negative by what I said. I'm sure you know that, but just in case...

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon I wasn't implying anything negative by what I said. I'm sure you know that, but just in case...

I know, I didn't take it that way at all. As a token of friendship, I offer this Aaron Rodgers meme, hot off the press!

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I know, I didn't take it that way at all. As a token of friendship, I offer this Aaron Rodgers meme, hot off the press!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

117 days until kickoff.