Home Sports Talk
Options

Double Dragon's Simply Phenomenal Countdown to NFL Season Opener 2023 and Beyond!

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

But at least the XFL Championship is on tonight at 8 EST. B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and by the way, I will be starting a thread dedicated solely to the 2023 New York Jets season very soon, I want to follow the complete Aaron Rodgers Jets saga this year.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    But at least the XFL Championship is on tonight at 8 EST. B)

The 4-6 Arlington Renegades beat the 10-1 DC Defenders, a 4-6 team just won the XFL Championship.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    117 days until kickoff.

I love it!!

DD starting to count the days!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really into the NBA playoffs right now. I'm not keeping up with the NFL off-season really.

I am never into the NBA regular season like I am the NFL regular season, but these playoffs are amazing. Obviously the Celtics have a little to do with that.

I'm happy that it looks like Brady will not be unretiring. I wanted him to play forever as a Patriot, and loved watching him in TB. I was serious when I said that if he played for the Dolphins I wouldn't watch. That would have left a taste in my mouth that no mint could have mitigated.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    117 days until kickoff.

I love it!!

You better believe it brother, I'm chomping at the bit to start my 2023 Jets season thread!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm really into the NBA playoffs right now. I'm not keeping up with the NFL off-season really.

I am never into the NBA regular season like I am the NFL regular season, but these playoffs are amazing. Obviously the Celtics have a little to do with that.

I'm happy that it looks like Brady will not be unretiring. I wanted him to play forever as a Patriot, and loved watching him in TB. I was serious when I said that if he played for the Dolphins I wouldn't watch. That would have left a taste in my mouth that no mint could have mitigated.

You know, it's not good, I was always taught to overcome my fears, you need to confront this Tom Brady Dolphins fear head-on, so I took the liberty of downloading this photo for you. Stare at it, confront it, put it in a headlock!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    117 days until kickoff.

I love it!!

You better believe it brother, I'm chomping at the bit to start my 2023 Jets season thread!

Now I'm starting to get excited over this type of talk!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited May 15, 2023 3:12PM

I'm guessing this is Clowney's replacement?

BEREA, Ohio -- "The Cleveland Browns bolstered their defense, agreeing to a trade with the Minnesota Vikings for three-time Pro Bowl pass-rusher Za'Darius Smith, a source confirmed to ESPN. Minnesota will receive a pair of fifth-round picks (2024 and 2025) in the deal, the source said."

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I'm guessing this is Clowney's replacement?

BEREA, Ohio -- "The Cleveland Browns bolstered their defense, agreeing to a trade with the Minnesota Vikings for three-time Pro Bowl pass-rusher Za'Darius Smith, a source confirmed to ESPN. Minnesota will receive a pair of fifth-round picks (2024 and 2025) in the deal, the source said."

Is Clowney signing with the ...Bears maybe? Not yet.

@Steven59 what's the vibe/thoughts around the Browns heading into the year?

From fans? Media? You? I'm curious.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Predictions are all over the place. From "experts" to "fans" predictions are for anywhere from 5-12 to 12-5. The Season will be very dependent on the first 4 games where they play 3 division foes - First Cinci, then Steelers next, then Ravens during the 4rth week.
    Waiting for Jets - Browns Dec 28 - by then we should know if both Rodgers and Watson are busts............

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Predictions are all over the place. From "experts" to "fans" predictions are for anywhere from 5-12 to 12-5. The Season will be very dependent on the first 4 games where they play 3 division foes - First Cinci, then Steelers next, then Ravens during the 4rth week.
    Waiting for Jets - Browns Dec 28 - by then we should know if both Rodgers and Watson are busts............

This is a good point. And as I think about t, there are many possible scenarios coming into that game. Both QBS/teams could be playing great/terrible, etc. some variation or another.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

First rule of thumb when it comes to NFL talk is that there are no "Experts"

• Options

I just noticed - Browns also play the jets Aug 3rd in a preseason game - wonder if Rodgers or Watson will take a few snaps?

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I just noticed - Browns also play the jets Aug 3rd in a preseason game - wonder if Rodgers or Watson will take a few snaps?

Probably not, the starters usually stay out of the first preseason game

• Options

• Options
    edited May 30, 2023 5:33PM

You mean - "The last time Goff was relevant ?" - :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:

You mean - "The last time Goff was relevant ?" - :D

Who is Jared Goff? :D

• Options

• Options
    edited June 3, 2023 4:34AM

@doubledragon

DD, I think it might be time to at least give us an update on how many days till training camp opens?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @doubledragon

DD, I think it might be time to at least give us an update on how many days till training camp opens?

Yes, the New York Jets 3-day minicamp begins June 13-15th and this part is very interesting, the Jets will be coming down here to Carolina in August for joint training camp practices with my Panthers ahead of our preseason battle on August 12. We'll see if old man Rodgers has anything left in the tank!

• Options

With the kickoff rule placing any fair catch at the 25, I am expecting to see teams try to use squib kicks as the only way to pin a team back behind the 25. If the squib kick comes in too fast, the receiving team can try to let it roll into the end zone. I assume you can find other ways to not have them fair catch it. Either way, I don't like it.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    With the kickoff rule placing any fair catch at the 25, I am expecting to see teams try to use squib kicks as the only way to pin a team back behind the 25. If the squib kick comes in too fast, the receiving team can try to let it roll into the end zone. I assume you can find other ways to not have them fair catch it. Either way, I don't like it.

Agreed

• Options

Less value is being placed in the running back position. There is less and less of a belief that you need to find a "special" RB and hold onto him. It's all plug and play, draft, use, release, plus sometimes committee.

The reason that this is a story, in general and as linked, is that RB used to be one of the glamour positions. This is fading. As it fades, the best athletes will stop specializing in it. Guys will not want to be a running back if they can be another position and make more money and have a longer career.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2023 8:57AM

@thisistheshow said:

Less value is being placed in the running back position. There is less and less of a belief that you need to find a "special" RB and hold onto him. It's all plug and play, draft, use, release, plus sometimes committee.

The reason that this is a story, in general and as linked, is that RB used to be one of the glamour positions. This is fading. As it fades, the best athletes will stop specializing in it. Guys will not want to be a running back if they can be another position and make more money and have a longer career.

Agreed, but I do think there will always be a market fir RB though, maybe not a big market but guys that play other positions will be less likely to jump.at the chance to fill in in the backfield

Hey your a great athlete, we can't find a big money spot for you on the team but if you want to play RB for shorter money....

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

80 days until opening day

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    80 days until opening day

Nice update Joe!

• Options
    edited June 27, 2023 4:15PM

Little less but you get the idea.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

This is the last month without NFL football.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    This is the last month without NFL football.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Options

Getting closer...

• Options

Days

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2023 12:01PM
  • Options

Browns have 3 games this season where they will wear the all white throwback uniforms with the white alternate helmets - Looks pretty good!

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Browns have 3 games this season where they will wear the all white throwback uniforms with the white alternate helmets - Looks pretty good!

Gorgeous!!!!

• Options

I'll ask this here instead of the NE thread.

Belichick needs 19 wins total to be winningest all-time (reg season and playoffs combined). He needs 31 to be winningest in the regular season. He is already the winningest playoff HC.

There is a narrative that he is on the hot seat. I don't buy it. Anyway,

...as far as anyone knows, is it the all-time or regular season record which Belichick has long coveted?

I always believed it was the regular season. But now I'm hearing all-time. Maybe that's just a change in the narrative, because it seems more likely.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Belichick needs 19 wins total to be winningest all-time (reg season and playoffs combined). He needs 31 to be winningest in the regular season. He is already the winningest playoff HC.

...as far as anyone knows, is it the all-time or regular season record which Belichick has long coveted?

I always believed it was the regular season. But now I'm hearing all-time. Maybe that's just a change in the narrative, because it seems more likely.

Tough for us to say, I dont think Hoodie would ever admit to either because it would contradict everything he demands out of his players, team first and don't care about personal glory

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Tough for us to say, I dont think Hoodie would ever admit to either because it would contradict everything he demands out of his players, team first and don't care about personal glory

I’ll ask you because I know the Patriots are your team. If the Patriots struggle for the next two seasons does he step down? Is he asked to step down or does he hang around until he reaches the most wins. If the Patriots go 7-10, 6-11 and miss the playoffs does it spell the end?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I’ll ask you because I know the Patriots are your team. If the Patriots struggle for the next two seasons does he step down? Is he asked to step down or does he hang around until he reaches the most wins. If the Patriots go 7-10, 6-11 and miss the playoffs does it spell the end?

I think he hangs around, no way Kraft would fire him especially being so close to.the record, it would be a PR nightmare and it would make Kraft look bad imo

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think he hangs around, no way Kraft would fire him especially being so close to.the record, it would be a PR nightmare and it would make Kraft look bad imo

Because of the optics Kraft will die on the sword. I agree it would look bad but what’s worse? Having a streak of 2-3 years of mediocre teams or pulling a Jerry Jones and firing a legend? I agree with your thoughts but I’m not sure it’s fair to patriots fans

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Because of the optics Kraft will die on the sword. I agree it would look bad but what’s worse? Having a streak of 2-3 years of mediocre teams or pulling a Jerry Jones and firing a legend? I agree with your thoughts but I’m not sure it’s fair to patriots fans

Eh, us Patriots fans will be fine.

20 years of winning got some of us greedy but there are others like myself that are legitimately satisfied and ok with a few years or longer of mediocrity, ultimately I would like to see Hoodie get the record as a lot of Pats fans would, as much as I've criticized him over the years I believe he deserves the record.

• Options

Patriots will wear their throwback uniforms only twice this season - too bad, they should bring them back permanently.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Patriots will wear their throwback uniforms only twice this season - too bad, they should bring them back permanently.

Absolutely!!!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Love those unis!!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Attention! Earth shattering news :D

"Cleveland Browns CB Greg Newsome II to be first in team history to wear No. 0"

The announcement came from the Browns on Saturday via Twitter.

• Options

In a perfect world the Patriots would play the Titans with both wearing their throwback unis......

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    In a perfect world the Patriots would play the Titans with both wearing their throwback unis......

It would be Absolutely glorious!!!!

• Options

• Options

Always loved the standing Buffalo uniforms. It’s what I grew up with in the 60’s. Patriots away whites and Bills home Blues.

W.C.Fields