Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reconsideration with cac?

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2023 2:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What is your experience submitting a coin that has been cac approved? Do you get a plus grade? Do they keep the old cert number if they decide to give it a plus so it will re-cac? Does it come back more often no change?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your questions are a little vague. Are you submitting a coin to PCGS for regrade or reconsideration in the holder and with a CAC sticker or are you asking about a coin that had been in a PCGS holder with CAC sticker and it was cracked out and submitted back to PCGS raw?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is the Green CAC means it is solidly graded as is. It doesn’t imply a coin that should be graded a plus. CAC doesn’t acknowledge coins with a + grade, it treats them as just the grade without the +. I have submitted coins that had a plus grade that got the green bean and others that did not.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Your questions are a little vague. Are you submitting a coin to PCGS for regrade or reconsideration in the holder and with a CAC sticker or are you asking about a coin that had been in a PCGS holder with CAC sticker and it was cracked out and submitted back to PCGS raw?

I meant reconsideration. Thanks.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:

@TomB said:

I meant reconsideration. Thanks.

PCGS assigns a + to what they feel are “A” coins, and CAC applies a bean to what they feel are either “A” or “B” coins. Theoretically, if you were to submit 10 coins for reconsideration that were CAC and 10 coins that weren’t, I would think the CAC batch would have a better success rate since no “c” coins were among them. We’re told that a bean doesn’t influence PCGS graders decision, but you can’t help but wonder if it could at least have a subliminal effect since the coin is graded in its current holder with the sticker.

If a coin is granted a +, the cert number doesn’t change so you can just have the coin restickered, since CAC ignores PCGS +.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have someone you think knows more than you and submits quite a few coins to preview your coin before doing anything. I've had coins which ran the gamut. Many had stickers which did not upgrade. Some got a +, one got a full numerical upgrade.

Unless you're planning on selling the coin and there's a big price difference between the coin's present grade and a + grade, I'd leave it alone.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are more often successful with reconsideration than others are. It does make you wonder when you see a PCGS + that won’t pass CAC. So our host thinks it’s an “A” but CAC doesn’t even see it as “B” or perhaps thinks it’s a problem coin? Who knows, but all we can do is buy the coin and not the holder.

PCGS Pluses are great to have for resale, but I ignore them for the most part when I’m buying a coin. Im also not a registry player so there’s that too. I will pay strong if I think it’s an A coin, whether it has a + or not. I’ve seen a lot of gold with a + that imo doesn’t even appear to be any nicer than the majority of cac counterparts in the same straight grade without a +.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intuitively it would seem that a stickered coin should upgrade at a higher rate than a non stickered coin but I have no idea if this is the case in the real world. On the flip side PCGS because of egos and a second party giving a coin a stamp of approval may become more stubborn when they regrade a coin with a sticker.

• Options

I’ve had luck with pcgs reconsideration

The only two coins I’ve ever sent in for such service had cac stickers.
    One went from ms-66 to ms-66+ and another went ms-63 to ms-64

However the cac sticker could have zero correlation regarding the obtainment of a plus grade or 1 grade point higher

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why on earth would PCGS care about what cacs says? There not going to automatically upgrade a coin they already assigned a grade to just because some guy stuck a sticker on the slab. This world gets stranger by the day. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Why on earth would PCGS care about what cacs says? There not going to automatically upgrade a coin they already assigned a grade to just because some guy stuck a sticker on the slab. This world gets stranger by the day. RGDS!

At whatever rate Reconsideration works for an upgrade (upgrades these days, when they occur, are usually to a +) by definition will ALWAYS represent PCGS recognizing they slightly erred too conservatively when they originally gave that coin it’s original grade.

We know that the graders see the labels of coins sent for Reconsideration. As @DeplorableDan said, no one really knows what effect that has for a label with a CAC sticker, as it can potentially even have a subliminal effect. In my OPINION, a grader with an open mind would see the sticker, know the collector just paid a full grading fee for Reconsideration, and say to themselves, “OK, let me spend a couple of extra seconds to see if this coin does indeed merit an upgrade”. Sometimes their answer is yes, sometimes not.

I suppose in theory there can be a grader that has the attitude described above of, “We already provided a grade agreed to by graders and a finalizer, why should I change it just because some guy stuck a sticker on the slab?”. I hope that person isn’t working at grading at PCGS, but you never know, as I’m sure they’re smart enough to not verbalize that negative attitude. My sense though, is all is fair, and each of the graders is open-minded!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This grade/regrade/reconsider game can get expensive... I suppose if one is selling or in competition for registry sets, the gamble may be worth it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reconsideration upgrades keep the same cert number. If the coin receives a plus, I don’t see why CAC wouldn’t re-sticker it for their normal $5 fee.

• Options

@ricko said:
    This grade/regrade/reconsider game can get expensive... I suppose if one is selling or in competition for registry sets, the gamble may be worth it.... Cheers, RickO

Indeed. It was mostly out of curiosity but I did have a coin I was... Reconsidering 😅... But when @Elcontador mentioned a price spread between straight and +, I looked it up for the coin I was thinking about and there is basically no spread. So in this case it wouldn't really necessarily net anything additional.

Thanks for the input. Lots of good food for thought!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Reconsideration upgrades keep the same cert number. If the coin receives a plus, I don’t see why CAC wouldn’t re-sticker it for their normal $5 fee.

They do!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file