Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The 2023 January Pickups Thread…

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@BBBrkrr said:
    And now I just got an email (after I paid the invoice) that the RJ rookie was a 'glitch' and not available to buy so they're refunding that money. I have no idea what that's about but that's the one thing I bought I really wanted.

What the hell does that mean?? Sounds like a scam!!

I have no idea. The final price wasn't any sort of great deal either, and about what you'd expect to pay in these economic times.

It was on the auction from the beginning, and they only notified me after I'd received the invoice. I asked what the issue was, but they did not reply or give me an answer. I generally try to avoid the Goldin auctions, and guess I should have this time too.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the seller had a quiet reserve which was not met...sounds fishy, for sure.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    This week's arrivals

The Dorsett rack pack has a Steve Young on the back as well.

hey Kid4hof03 ,
    Oh Yeah.... :) That's what I'm talkin' about.... B)

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Here is my latest wax pack pickup. It was a private transaction with an outstanding pack collector...name not to be disclosed for privacy reasons. I am not doing a complete wax pack run from the 1960s...as I did earlier. I am stopping here at four (4) wax packs...giving me each wax pack color used in the 1960s (1964 green, 1967 red, 1968 yellow, and 1969 blue), as well as fitting nicely as a complete row on the Collectors Focus page. It is a Nolan Ryan Series...
    Ironically...it turns out that I am buying this pack back from him...it will have come full circle.

If PSA ever grades a high series (Series #7) Pete Rose RC, Willie Stargell RC Series and Roberto Clemente series…count me in on the high stakes bidding. That is the only additional wax pack that I would add to my collection. Never know, one might be graded…I did not think PSA would ever grade a high series 1967 baseball wax pack (Seaver RC, Carew RC and Brooks Robinson series)

Great pickup Monte! Glad the pack made its way back to you! I knew you couldn't get away from unopened! :smile:

• Options

That is a beaut! Awesome

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 that is freaking gorgeous. I get the MK qualifier, but how is that only a 4?

Brian

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 53 Mick!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    @ssdawg77 that is freaking gorgeous. I get the MK qualifier, but how is that only a 4?

Great eye appeal on the 53 Mantle.

As far as the 4 grade check out front bottom right area - hard to see at first glance. Great card irregardless.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

>

Great eye appeal on the 53 Mantle.

Ditto x 10 . I'd rather own this 4 with the appropriate toned paper aging than many of the chemically altered White versions I see floating around in certain holders with 9 and 10 grades in multiple companies holders

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup. I am in the vast minority to be a huge fan of his.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Unitas!!

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 8:07PM

@coolstanley - Great tickets!

I was at Roger Clemens last game (still have the stub myself), and never realized it until now. I always remembered it as Joe Torre's last win with the Yankees. Thanks for informing me, I might get it signed by the Rocket now!

Edited to add: also last playoff win at the Old Yankee Stadium!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 1:49AM

Talk about a rare ticket. A 3000 hit ticket that cost $4000 B)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Very happy to have two orders come in the mail today and extremely pleased with the results. Cant get enough Shohei cards and feel great about some of these variations and /ed cards. Also cant get enough PSA 10 Trevor Lawrence. Unfortunately 3 did not do as well but like this one a lot. Started taking an interest in late 90s Bowman Chrome Refractors especially the International which are #ed to 100 in 99. Loved seeing a few were POP 1s and one a 2 and another a 4.

The heavy international interest in Ohtani also not to be underestimated. I agree for modern cards he’s fun to collect. Lots of cool refractors and parallels.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1965 Gibson is the last with a blue hat!

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2023 10:08AM

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    The 1965 Gibson is the last with a blue hat!

Thanks 4 the info…I did not know that.

I think that Gibson is a very underrated HOF. In 1968…he set a modern day record with a microscopic 1.12 ERA and broke Sandy Koufax World Series record for KKs in a World Series game on October 2, 1968 striking out 17 Detroit Tigers. (ironically, Koufax struck out 15 also on October 2nd in 1963 against the Yankees in Game #1 as well). How Gibson lost 9 games in 1968 is beyond me? His performance during the 1968 season resulted in MLB to lower the pitching mound the following season.

There is no doubt that you’re exceptional when rules of the game are changed to level the playing field. It reminds me of the NCAA disallowing dunking in college basketball in 1967 when Lew Alcindor played for UCLA…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2023 11:10AM

I love Gibson and agree he is underrated but I think the rule change being a result of Gibson is hyperbole and something created way after the fact. Hitter/pitcher dynamics were way out of whack. 7 qualified starters had an ERA under 2.00. 1968 has always been called “the year of the pitcher”. Few know this but Gibson was 3rd in MLB in strikeouts (he did win the pitching triple crown in the NL) with both McDowell and McLain striking out more batters.

In the Major Leagues batters hit .237 with an OPS of .639. Pitchers had an ERA of 2.98. Denny McClain won 31 games and has an ERA of 1.96. Think about that MLB pitchers in totality had an ERA of 2.98!!!! People didn’t have a problem with great pitchers dominating - they had a problem with pretty good pitchers completely dominating.

Here are the top 10 qualified ERA leaders (note all the legends of the game with sub 2 ERAs. Season with career in parenthesis.

1) Gibson 1.12 (2.91)
    2) Tiant 1.60 (3.30)
    3) McDowell 1.81 (3.17)
    4) McNally 1.95 (3.24)
    5) McLain 1.96 (3.39)
    6) John 1.98 (3.34)
    7) Bolin 1.99 (3.14)
    8) Bahnsen 2.05 (3.60)
    9) Veale 2.05 (3.07)
    10) Koosman 2.08 (3.36)

Only 6 qualified players had a batting average over .300 and only 7 players hit 30 home runs. The AL batting crown (remember Gibson pitched in the NL) was won by Yaz with a .301 average. And more importantly THE NEW YORK YANKEES as a team hit .214. Not the hallowed Yankees! This is probably the straw that broke the camels back and did result in the rule change.

Tim Wendel’s Summer of ‘‘68 is an incredible read about that season - the last before expansion and the rule changes.

In 1969 there also were changes to the strike zone in the MLB rule book from knees to shoulders to knees to armpits. The elimination of the high strike and increased walks as a result had more effect than the mound change.

Monte - you know I love Gibson - we have shared some images of our Gibson cards in the past when you bought what I believe was your ‘61. Great pick-up on the ‘65 it is a beauty as your cards always are. Agree that it is one of his best looking. Pairs great with the Koufax as they are similar shots.

• Options

Brad...

It might have been a 1960 Gibson. I have his 1959 RC, 1960, 1962, 1965 (now...I had it b4 in a very nice PSA-8.5) and his 1971.

I am now looking for just 5 cards...then I am considering my collection complete and enjoying it for a few years b4 putting it up 4 sale: 1956 Mays, 1957 Mantle, 1959 Mantle, 1967 Mantle, and 1967 Yaz.

Best Regards...

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I LOVE Bob Gibson, but none of my favorite stats come from his '68 season.

My favorite stat: 251 Lifetime wins and 255 Complete Games!

Just amazing.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Brad...

It might have been a 1960 Gibson. I have his 1959 RC, 1960, 1962, 1965 (now...I had it b4 in a very nice PSA-8.5) and his 1971.

I am now looking for just 5 cards...then I am considering my collection complete and enjoying it for a few years b4 putting it up 4 sale: 1956 Mays, 1957 Mantle, 1959 Mantle, 1967 Mantle, and 1967 Yaz.

Best Regards...

Monte

Must have been the ‘60 then. Cannot wait to see the ‘56 Mays and ‘67 Yaz you decide to add.

• Options

Brad…

Yes…the two 1965 poses of Koufax and Gibson are very similar. I very much like these images.

I would submit the 1965 Koufax PSA-8.5 for review…it is a strong example for the assigned grade. It was on my short list to send to PSA for review until I decided to add the 1958 Koufax to my collection…and needed the funds for this transaction.

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    I LOVE Bob Gibson, but none of my favorite stats come from his '68 season.

My favorite stat: 251 Lifetime wins and 255 Complete Games!

Just amazing.

Yes...Gibson finished what he started more times than not...exceptional pitcher.

mint_only_pls