Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Effective January 1, 2023 PCGS announces Collector Services & Fees

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick look, and I see Express was $65 now $70, Regular was $38 now $40, and Variety attribution was $18 now $20.

What did I miss?

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Economy up $1
    Reholder up $1/$7

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is kind of expected because inflation is everywhere. Coin price will follow too

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the next is auction house increase the fee from 20% to 23% or even 25% soon

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping will likely go up as well, but they do not state the shipping prices.

Didn't regular used to be $40 a few years ago and it was then lowered to $38?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    This is kind of expected because inflation is everywhere. Coin price will follow too

Not necessarily the coins most collectors or submitters own.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

economy is +1
    varieties +2
    now an economy error for $35

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show gold +5

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small wonder I have never submitted a coin or anything else to a grading service.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the most negatively impacted areas will be bullion and low value submissions. Perhaps that is for the best?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another increase shown is the $2 Handling fee per order for having PCGS return coins using my FedEx Priority Overnight account will now be $4 (a 100% increase, lol).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jt88 said:
    I think the next is auction house increase the fee from 20% to 23% or even 25% soon

IF it happens, it doesn’t hurt the bidders, as many will/should adjust their hammer bid, but will negatively impact the consignors!

Steve

It sort of depends on where they allocate the increase. They could decrease the premiums for sellers with the money. I mean, would you rather consign where there is a 20% BP and a 0% SP or where there is a 25% BP but you get 105% of hammer?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices increasing everywhere... A dozen eggs now about four times the price it was a couple years ago. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 7:15AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@jt88 said:

IF it happens, it doesn’t hurt the bidders, as many will/should adjust their hammer bid, but will negatively impact the consignors!

Steve

It sort of depends on where they allocate the increase. They could decrease the premiums for sellers with the money. I mean, would you rather consign where there is a 20% BP and a 0% SP or where there is a 25% BP but you get 105% of hammer?

But those same negotiations take place today, with the consignor usually getting more than 100% of the hammer. However, I admit that if they raise the bp, it could be EASIER for consignors to negotiate a larger increase over the hammer than they can get now.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just about everything continues to go up in price... except our wages. 😔

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector club voucher limit $2500 ? Are they saying you can only use your freebies for joining on coins under $2500 ?

• Options

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@jt88 said:

Steve

But those same negotiations take place today, with the consignor usually getting more than 100% of the hammer. However, I admit that if they raise the bp, it could be EASIER for consignors to negotiate a larger increase over the hammer than they can get now.

I know. But the argument for the BP increases last time was for that very reason. So, it's not clear how the calculation changes for consignors. Of course it's not good for widget consignors, but I don't think any auction house is terribly efficient for moving widgets (including GC).

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Collector club voucher limit $2500 ? Are they saying you can only use your freebies for joining on coins under $2500 ?

Yes, but it's been like this for awhile. This is not a current change.

Steve

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@JimTyler said:

Yes, but it's been like this for awhile. This is not a current change.

Steve

Been a long time since I submitted coins.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Just about everything continues to go up in price... except our wages. 😔

And this is going to cause a lot of problems in the near future when the average workers find themselves getting a 3% wage increase while the top executives get huge increases that far outpace inflation. Anger is building.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@erscolo said:
    Small wonder I have never submitted a coin or anything else to a grading service.

I think you're on the wrong forum.

I'm not sure the poster clarified he or she has never owned a slabbed coin, just that they have never submitted. I have only sent a hand full in via my LCS. It is quite a confusing, expensive and long process for many average coin collectors to perform on their own.

Mark

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@erscolo said:

I think you're on the wrong forum.

I'm not sure the poster clarified he or she has never owned a slabbed coin, just that they have never submitted. I have only sent a hand full in via my LCS. It is quite a confusing, expensive and long process for many average coin collectors to perform on their own.

Mark

I know. But it seems a little odd to be on the PCGS forum criticizing all TPGs for their business model.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The increases are pretty nominal, IMO. And on the bright side, maybe they will increase staffing and reduce the turnaround time.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 9:22AM

I guess all the paper submission forms are no good...I don't have a printer. I guess I could always just manually cross out the lower price and enter the increased price. I have 4 vouchers to burn so it really doesn't matter. I just went through my paper form to edit one...the return shipping fees have gone up $5 across the board as well.I will be down grading my Gold Membership to a Regular Membership on my next renewal to even out the costs. I really don't have any coins waiting to be graded and if I should get 1 or 2 it will make up the extra costs with the Membership savings.

• Options

** I guess all the paper submission forms are no good...I don't have a printer. I guess I could always just manually cross out the lower price and enter the increased price**

Not sure when the new rates went into play, but I used the 2022 forms and rates at FUN on Jan 6 and the staff accepted them with no qualms or corrections.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    I guess all the paper submission forms are no good...I don't have a printer. I guess I could always just manually cross out the lower price and enter the increased price. I have 4 vouchers to burn so it really doesn't matter. I just went through my paper form to edit one...the return shipping fees have gone up $5 across the board as well.I will be down grading my Gold Membership to a Regular Membership on my next renewal to even out the costs. I really don't have any coins waiting to be graded and if I should get 1 or 2 it will make up the extra costs with the Membership savings.

Old forms are fine. The accounting staff will charge you accordingly for your submission no matter what the form price says.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they would meet the advertised lead time I wouldn’t bitch….but they don’t and that is just BS!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of it is warranted when the turn around time on your "service" is so lengthy.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

what is guarantee resubmission ? is that the regrade service?

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    what is guarantee resubmission ? is that the regrade service?

https://www.pcgs.com/guarantee
    And from the submission form pdf
    • GUARANTEE RESUBMISSION: If you have a PCGS-graded coin that you feel is overgraded, misattributed, or counterfeit, submit the coin to PCGS through the Guarantee Resubmission Service. A fee of $25 per coin must accompany all submissions through this service (Standard or Gold Shield). If your coin is downgraded, the terms of the PCGS Guarantee will apply and all fees and charges related to the Guarantee Resubmission will berefunded.Additionalguaranteetermsandconditionsapply.PleasevisitPCGS.com/guaranteeformore information.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

The top TPGs have done a masterful job of providing a useful service and positioning themselves in the marketplace. The obvious next step is to raise rates.

They are inundated with submissions--witness the relentless complaining about turnaround times. Note I'm not saying the complaints aren't justified!

But given these conditions it's natural to increase the fees, even if such increases weren't otherwise justified. Note I'm not saying they aren't!

Certification results in greatly increased demand for the underlying product. So in that sense alone they really are adding value.

• Options

@MS66 said:
    The top TPGs have done a masterful job of providing a useful service and positioning themselves in the marketplace. The obvious next step is to raise rates.

They are inundated with submissions--witness the relentless complaining about turnaround times. Note I'm not saying the complaints aren't justified!

But given these conditions it's natural to increase the fees, even if such increases weren't otherwise justified. Note I'm not saying they aren't!

Certification results in greatly increased demand for the underlying product. So in that sense alone they really are adding value.

I love the services. However, increased demand may increase value, but that value increase needs to match the cost. There are very few $100 coins that will increase 40% in value just by being slabbed.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    ** I guess all the paper submission forms are no good...I don't have a printer. I guess I could always just manually cross out the lower price and enter the increased price**

Sorry to ask - does PCGS have on-line forms?

• Options

@291fifth said:

And this is going to cause a lot of problems in the near future when the average workers find themselves getting a 3% wage increase while the top executives get huge increases that far outpace inflation. Anger is building.

Sad; but, a lot of that excess compensation is from stock options.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

They may very well, but as a member they send me a stack every year, along with the required flips to use.
    The official forms have the original cover form plus three copies in different colors. How they replicate that system online I don’t know.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

>
    Yes.

https://www.pcgs.com/onlinesubmission

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to think that the value of a submission would have to be pretty high to warrant a submission. For a "regular" submission what is the minimum the coin should be worth to warrant that? Also would you send in an economy coin if it were worth under $100?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is only one reason everything is going up!

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@DisneyFan said:

>
    Yes.

https://www.pcgs.com/onlinesubmission

Thank you - good to know.

It will be nice when they expand it to include more of the categories as they state:

Important Note

The service levels listed below require a PDF Submission Form and are not currently available on the online submission center.

Bulk
    Quarterly Special
    Mint Error
    Show Services
    Guarantee Resubmission
    Mechanical Error
    Reconsideration
    World Reholder
    Banknotes

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

to confirm, Errors only need be submitted under that tier, not error AND grading, correct?

the $70 kinda seems like a grading+attribution fee kidna thing.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I'd have to think that the value of a submission would have to be pretty high to warrant a submission. For a "regular" submission what is the minimum the coin should be worth to warrant that? Also would you send in an economy coin if it were worth under $100?

You’d think so, but look at all the trinkets that you see in TPG holders. The lowest value for even an economy submission I’ve done was still over $200.
    But of course one man’s trinket is another man’s treasure…..and perhaps they had higher but unrealistic aspirations too.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall reasonable given the economy and circumstances with inflation. I wonder if they might add a category of lower value coins with guarenteed 60 or 90 day grading?

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@jt88 said:

Steve

Relating to this, I have only sold coins through Stacks whereas I received a percentage of the SP. How are the other auction houses to work with on this issue and who do you think is the easiest to ‘wheel and deal’?
    HB

• Options

@HillbillyCollector said:

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@jt88 said:

Steve

Relating to this, I have only sold coins through Stacks whereas I received a percentage of the SP. How are the other auction houses to work with on this issue and who do you think is the easiest to ‘wheel and deal’?
    HB

Depends on what you have. Ifv you have quality, any of them will negotiate.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    Yet the $300 limit for economy is the same as when I started submitting in 2004. The limits should go up in proportion to the fee increases - economy limit should be around $500 now.

It's called bracket creep. Worked well for the IRS for a long, long time. Not so much for taxpayers.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file