Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me why PCGS graded my 1837 Reeded Edge CBH AU55?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MS to me all day.....but, what do I know?

Love the TrueView, Phil and Company.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46365591

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 7:11PM

Not sure, I don’t see any obvious signs of wear that jump out at me. Note that I don’t own any cbh’s so I’m not well versed in the grading of them. I really like the look of that coin though!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 6:54PM

I'm certainly no cap bust expert, but looking at CoinFacts they offer many photos of AU55 1837 Reed Edge Cap Bust Halves and most have this look on the hair curls and eagle eyebrows. Just an opinion, but probably why they see wear. Still a very attractive coin. I understand the value reduction and feel your pain.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take it off your hands. Nice coin. Agree with Bryce.

Calling @TomB

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I got this one.... They are trying to get a gold bean on their holders?

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok ok, not funny, so looking at the fields behind the head. it looks like rub and circ marks to me... But in hand who knows..

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a wear perspective, I like it as a 58.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Love the TrueView, Phil and Company.

how is the luster in-hand? one of the major drawbacks to even the best of images sometimes is also one of the most important and challenging to assess properly and specifically. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it into CAC

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see it in a 58 holder, but it does not appear to be mint state to me.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't debate the grade. But I absolutely love it, @Goldbully.
    Lance.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a long scratch stemming off the U in united on the reverse?

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman asked "Is that a long scratch stemming off the U in united on the reverse?"

That almost looks like a scratch on the die that was transferred to the coin. It's interesting, however, that there are two other AU55s struck from the same pair of dies in a similar die state, but they do not show this mark. See the following cert numbers:

Higashiyama
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see wear on the rims too

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see a 58 holder for that one, but maybe the luster isn't enough and brought it down.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marks on Liberty's cap, in the field on reverse, wear on tops of eagles wings ... but I would have called it AU58... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 6:57AM

I don’t get it. An AU55 coin should show very obvious (yet minor) wear. Yours is by no means obvious. The Eye appeal is nice. My gut reaction is to crack it out and ruminate for a few months before resubmitting, but I don’t like playing the crack out game. Perhaps a better suggestion would be a reconsideration submission. We all know that TrueViews can sometimes make a coin look better than the real deal. Could you share an image of what it looks like in the holder, or raw I if you have it? I hope it all works out in your favor.

Matt Snebold

• Options

I’ll have her back from PCGS next week and I’ll take some iPhone pics.

Thank you all for your astute comments.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

I’ll have her back from PCGS next week and I’ll take some iPhone pics.

Thank you all for your astute comments.

Still a great looking coin despite your disappointment...

Mark

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jackpine20 said:
    I don’t get it. An AU55 coin should show very obvious (yet minor) wear. Yours is by no means obvious. The Eye appeal is nice. My gut reaction is to crack it out and ruminate for a few months before resubmitting, but I don’t like playing the crack out game. Perhaps a better suggestion would be a reconsideration submission. We all know that TrueViews can sometimes make a coin look better than the real deal. Could you share an image of what it looks like in the holder, or raw I if you have it? I hope it all works out in your favor.

I think it is obvious. There are clear circulation marks in the fields, on the bust and eagle and in the rim. As i said, I can see it as a 58 but not Unc. IMHO.

• Options

That's a beautiful coin for sure. I can understand your disappointment. I.think this falls under buy the coin not the holder. I'm kind of new and my first thought is to crack it out and stick with my own opinion. If your hope was to sell it and get unc money for it I would sell it raw knowing what you received for a grade and hope to recoup the money you have into in including grading fees.
    Sure looks like a keeper to me and if it were mine I would not want to be looking at her in a 55 holder. The eye appeal is just to nice to have that number hanging over her head.
    This is a case of buy the coin not the holder and a string lesson for me when buying a raw coin of this caliber.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the grade don’t fit, you must resubmit… Looks AU58 to me.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin - at 55, I’d recommend sending to CAC. Looks like a solid 58 in the pic - the cheek does read as a slight trace of wear imo. While the grade results must be disappointing, this coin looks better than many low MS examples and has great eye appeal.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

No that is not a weak strike, nor is there identifiable wear that I can tell for sure. I would have to see it in hand, from the photo it looks MS.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    Send it into CAC

Is CAC stickering again ?

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@Herb_T said:
    Send it into CAC

They haven’t stopped stickering, they just suspended the economy tier. You can send coins for stickering at $35. However, I just visited the website and I did not get the usual pop up that tier 1 was suspended, maybe they lifted it recently?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭

There are different standards for steam-struck Bust halves vs. screw struck, you can't compare a pre-36 AU55 to a reeded edge AU55. There is definite wear on the eagle's feathers and in the fields, and it looks like luster is subdued. I like it at 55.

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    There are different standards for steam-struck Bust halves vs. screw struck, you can't compare a pre-36 AU55 to a reeded edge AU55. There is definite wear on the eagle's feathers and in the fields, and it looks like luster is subdued. I like it at 55.

I like this rationale^^^ Can I change my answer? 😉

Matt Snebold

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that it appears AU55-58 in terms of wear, but that the heavy vertical marks within the cap hurt the coin's chances of that grade. If the luster is a bit muted in-hand then that would hurt, too.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

I won't venture a grade opinion based on the photos, but if they called it AU it's because they saw, or thought they saw, wear. I honestly can't tell from the pics, I'd need to view it in hand under a strong light.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

after reading the many comments, do you think a resub is in the future?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 2:38PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Goldbully said:

after reading the many comments, do you think a resub is in the future?

Probably not. I'll just enjoy her company. 😊

edited to add: I'm really getting to love the reeded edge short series.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m at 58 on that one.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like it has been dipped and retoned. You need to look at the early wear points with a loupe to determine if circulated. Halperin's book 'How to Grade U.S.Coins' has the following pic for high points and early wear.
    https://coingrading.com/index.html

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 3:17PM

@davewesen said:
    It looks to me like it has been dipped and retoned. You need to look at the early wear points with a loupe to determine if circulated. Halperin's book 'How to Grade U.S.Coins' has the following pic for high points and early wear.

What about the OP’s coin makes you think it’s been dipped and retoned?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with send to cac

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think TomB has it right about the vertical marks on the cap bringing down the grade. I also think the coin had slight rub but that the coin toned over the rub camouflaging it well. The coin has great eye appeal

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're getting a lot of expert help and opinions on your coin.

The following is from The Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 6th Edition, by Kenneth Bressett/Q. David Bowers:

AU-55 Choice.

OBVERSE: Only a trace of wear shows on high points of cap and hair above eye.
    REVERSE: A trace of wear shows on arrow heads and talons.
    SURFACE: Much of the mint luster is still present.

You got yourself a nice coin there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

@Herb_T said:
    Send it into CAC

They haven’t stopped stickering, they just suspended the economy tier. You can send coins for stickering at $35. However, I just visited the website and I did not get the usual pop up that tier 1 was suspended, maybe they lifted it recently?

Would like one more chance at stickering before they grade, but only at the $15 tier. I would do 10 coins or so.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful piece... CBHs aren't my area of focus but I've been looking at Reeded Edges for my Type Set... mainly in XF to AU grades. The OPs coin looks about as original a "skin" as I've seen so I don't think it's been dipped. From the OPs images, I see a little (very little) wear on the high points that might be more evident with coin "in hand". The contact marks in Liberty's cap might have been a little too apparent for the Grader and maybe that's why the low number. As others have already indicated, maybe this is a poster child for an AU58 or AU58+ coin...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file