Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint error coins seems go pretty high at HA FUN auction

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the mint error coins seems to sold high price at HA FUN auction. Is this a sign of more collectors collecting mint error? Below are just few examples that sold at FUN.

Comments

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area of expertise but regardless of how you feel about these odd items, it would be pretty cool to have a gold Washington quarter, gold Buffalo nickel and gold IHC!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea to post pics of actual errors here from time to time.. just not sure if the " is this a valuable error?" people even open threads like this?
    🤔

• Options

How does a quarter get struck on an 1898 half eagle??

• Options

@Watchtower said:

I have the same question.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:

Somebody brings an 1898 half eagle into the mint, strikes it with current quarter dies and takes it home.

Easy-peasy.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:

Its a purposely made by a mint employee error. Also called moonlight minters. I like errors but not the purposefully made ones. Others obviously do and pay big bucks for them.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 9:01PM

@gumby1234 said:

@Watchtower said:

Its a purposely made by a mint employee error. Also called moonlight minters. I like errors but not the purposefully made ones. Others obviously do and pay big bucks for them.

I hate insider job, especially if he try to profit from it.

• Options

Oh I know. There was an 1898 half eagle stuck in the coin bin for 72 years. Later that bin was used for proof planchets. The 1898 suddenly became dislodged and was over struck as a 1970 quarter and the mint employee never even noticed. YEAH thats it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 13, 2023 10:51PM

@gumby1234 said:

@Watchtower said:

Are you serious?
    That can be done?
    That cost almost 100 grand.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

do you have a link to post to the collection? i'd like to take a gander. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 13, 2023 10:20PM

@gumby1234 said:
    Oh I know. There was an 1898 half eagle stuck in the coin bin for 72 years. Later that bin was used for proof planchets. The 1898 suddenly became dislodged and was over struck as a 1970 quarter and the mint employee never even noticed. YEAH thats it.

That's what I was wondering. Stranger things have happened I guess. You'd think someone would miss it in the gold count and search and make the many employess find that missing gold. As for a modern quarter you can just shut the lights off and go home.
    They still use the same equipment now that they used in 1898?
    Dam that's some solid machinery.
    Does the TPG guarantee that it's a genuine error that really occurred and not intentional? Thats what I am curious about. Personally I don't care because I would much rather have other coins. I just wonder how it plays out with the tpg.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:

For each error there is an S rating 1 through 10 (S1 through S10).
    The higher the number the more likely that it was Shenanigans.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 11:25PM

@Watchtower The quarter above is impossible to have happened during any normal minting process. A mint employee intentionally made it and probably sold it for a tidy profit. There are many errors made this way especially proofs from the 70's. Have you seen the cloverleaf Ike's?

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭

The gold quarter perfectly illustrates that not only could things be smuggled out, but things could be smuggled inside as well. That means the possibilities are endless, which is why I don’t play in the proof error market any longer, unfortunately.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

OK, pay close attention to these words.
    The 1970 gold quarter was MADE at the MINT. But it was not MINT-MADE. Therefore in my opinion it is not a MINT ERROR.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly, Denver & San Fransisco all had years of error coin leaks.
    Whether the errors were obviously made on purpose or naturals riddled out of coinage stream & then later spirited out for collector market they are all collectable.
    If these boo boos bug you, then don't acquire them.
    I was in early on for the $93,000 gold 1970S 25c proof. Would love to have added it to my error archive for under 15k.
    Many others enjoy buying & selling & collecting these likely shenanigans.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt some of these 'errors' are intentionally made. This has long been known. However, they are unique, one of a kind, authentic, and appeal to those who seek such rarities. Thus the high prices. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

@Watchtower said:

For each error there is an S rating 1 through 10 (S1 through S10).
    The higher the number the more likely that it was Shenanigans.

Philippians 4:4-7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file