Home Precious Metals

Do We Buy More Metals, Keep Cash or Cut and run from the stock market.. What do you say ?

Saw This.....

Walmart Is In Serious Trouble..... talks of more layoffs all across the United States.

The prognosis isn't good, and the last earnings report was a train-wreck that led to huge losses after a losing run. Is the company's struggles a mirror of a collapsing U.S. Economy ? Because what we've been witnessing so far is simply not good.

We're seeing the worst cost-of-living crisis in history, and Americans' purchasing power is evaporating quickly. Even individuals with some financial security must now choose between food, utilities, and medical care. Middle-earners now lack the financial security of their parents. Education, entertainment, energy, groceries, and other needs continue to rise as real wages stagnate. Every month, living conditions worsen.

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

i ordered more metal. the premiums on silver have been cut by 40-50% just in the past few weeks. Christmas rounds were spot plus $4.50. yesterday i ordered buffalo rounds at spot plus $2.20 .

Walmart is my least favorite place. I read it on this forum that they were peddling silver, too. in fact one person got a whole roll of fake rounds via that venue. ( so i read)
    i’d say that’s doomsday for buyers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I saw just yesterday, they are selling silver rounds Buffalo's, ten per group. If I recall correctly, they were going for $290. Quite a premium for Walmart, especially since they likely got them from Asia. Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought APMEX silver rounds from Wallmart at considerable savings. They are mailed from APMEX.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

To the op. If you honestly believe in the nonsense you posted, PM's not going to save you. Build a bunker or bomb shelter, stock it with lots of food , ammo, booze & cigarettes >:)

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 9:00AM

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 3:48PM

Hoarding unique coins, Hoarding Cash, VERY Long and on margin in high growth stocks that everyone hates right now ;)

Swing trading year, IMO.

Not buying precious metals or crypto.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 11:18AM

buy PM dips, hold cryptos, liquidate stocks/ETFs/bonds, build cash. Those with cash will find bountiful bargains down the road in many asset classes, particularly real estate.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

I'm hoarding my cash in 3 mos. T-bills...currently paying around 4.5% :)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stack pm's. Keep your head down and the powder dry. Stack on

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone's situation is different. I wouldn't be interested in stocks or bonds one iota - except maybe a commodity fund.

Selling a little gold, buying a little graded gold, keeping a reasonable cushion of cash, buying a little Daniel Carr stuff.

Thinking about a little more silver if premiums keep going down. Maybe another getaway property at some point.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your last sentence is not true. Living conditions in the U.S. are the best in history. The other items you note are occurring at an increasing rate.

I interact with America's bottom 50% on a daily basis. They are struggling and it's not getting better. But even the bottom quintile are given adequate food and shelter, not to mention smartphones and medical care, to live at a standard that 90% of people in the world's history would envy. Many who decline this help have mental and/or physical conditions that result in homelessness and abject poverty.

As a side note I'm a renter. Just got my new lease and they wanted me to sign up for a 13% increase! I negotiated an 8% increase for '23 and we're going with that. But was told it will then increase 6% in '24.

I'm looking forward to that 6% FFR this spring! :o

edited January 6, 2023 8:01PM

@VanHalen said:
    Your last sentence is not true. Living conditions in the U.S. are the best in history. The other items you note are occurring at an increasing rate.

I interact with America's bottom 50% on a daily basis. They are struggling and it's not getting better. But even the bottom quintile are given adequate food and shelter, not to mention smartphones and medical care, to live at a standard that 90% of people in the world's history would envy. Many who decline this help have mental and/or physical conditions that result in homelessness and abject poverty.

I agree with the OP's statement that "every month, living conditions worsen." The reason they are worsening is because the cost of living is get worse. Higher prices result in reductions in one's quality of life forcing tough decisions on what must be reduced. The alternative is taking on more debt to maintain one's quality of life and is only a matter of kicking the dollar can down the road. Providing basic necessities at taxpayer expense like you mentioned does not result in living conditions in the U.S. being the best in history, it results in more taxes which results in further reductions in one's disposable income.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points derryb.

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 10:03PM

cool. my prices are lower than walmart and apmex

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love hearing individual investor opinions and outlooks.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

.> @TwoSides2aCoin said:

cool. my prices are lower than walmart and apmex

unfortunately you do not qualify for a Rakuten cash back deal for shopping at Walmart.

• SilverBlindSilverBlind Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Does the large drop in premiums for silver signal a coming of a large drop in spot price?

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just paid $6.99 for a dozen lg eggs at Safeway. Ouch.
    Go long on chicken ranches.

Have a nice day
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought eggs since 2017. My girls are cranking them out faster than my family and neighbors can eat them. Feed has increased quite a bit in the last 2 years so we started selling the additional to cover all the costs. They free range most of the year but in the winter they require lots of supplements. We only charge $3.00/dz. and they are 100% organic. Perhaps it's time to raise the price. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful - cohodk will say that you are fearmongering and spreading misinformation.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:

Yikes. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Don't know what "gold plated" eggs you're buying. I paid $4.99 for a doz Jumbo size eggs at my local Giant Food store.

CPI report on Thursday will move the stock market.

What side are you on?

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What side are you on?

are we talking initial CPI that is used to pump markets or are we talking revised CPI that brings markets down to reality?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whycome PH got the jail bars???

edited January 7, 2023 2:31PM

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What side are you on?

are we talking initial CPI that is used to pump markets or are we talking revised CPI that brings markets down to reality?

Where talking the one (or both) I swing trade on.

@streeter said:

You can blame the Avian Influenza In Chickens for the high prices. So far, over 40 million hens have died or been destroyed. Good news though, that virus appears to be subsiding in the U.S. , and the price of eggs is beginning to fall.

Deflation on the horizon.
    One exception is PMs. Continue to stack/hold. Do not sell.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@streeter said:

You can blame the Avian Influenza In Chickens for the high prices. So far, over 40 million hens have died or been destroyed. Good news though, that virus appears to be subsiding in the U.S. , and the price of eggs is beginning to fall.

True that. We even stopped feeding the wild birds because that was the first place the girls headed when we'd let them out of the coup. Didn't want to risk the spread. Started feeding them again, with winter and all, lack of food and a drop in avian cases. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited January 8, 2023 11:28AM

@OPA said:
    I'm hoarding my cash in 3 mos. T-bills...currently paying around 4.5% :)

Be quiet.....don't tell jmski. ;)

@jmski52 said:

Careful - cohodk will say that you are fearmongering and spreading misinformation.

Nope....

Now if you said all the chickens are gonna freeze to death and run out of diesel....

edited January 10, 2023 6:16AM

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Really?
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1080812/

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 9:06PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    i ordered more metal. the premiums on silver have been cut by 40-50% just in the past few weeks. Christmas rounds were spot plus $4.50. yesterday i ordered buffalo rounds at spot plus $2.20 .

Walmart is my least favorite place. I read it on this forum that they were peddling silver, too. in fact one person got a whole roll of fake rounds via that venue. ( so i read)
    i’d say that’s doomsday for buyers.

I received 30 of a possible 100 fake ASE from a distributor of Walmart. Nightmare trying to get my money back, I succeeded. They took heed at the US Treasury etc. warning I gave them and now, last I looked, they're only subbing sales through good solid companies like APMEX.

Like a few dealers I spoke with at FUN said; people don't need this stuff in this economic climate. I personally see the rare coin market routing through all series going soft. Exceptions many, only thing I'm doing is buying PMs avoiding large rare coin spreads and leaving well enough alone in my stock market investments.

• MWKMWK Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    I received 30 of a possible 100 fake ASE from a distributor of Walmart. Nightmare trying to get my money back, I succeeded. They took heed at the US Treasury etc. warning I gave them and now, last I looked, they're only subbing sales through good solid companies like APMEX.

Are the counterfeit American Silver Eagles coming from China? I suspect that dollars to doughnuts that they are. Maybe the FBI should get its collective head out of its colon and start cracking down on the very serious, very obvious crime right in front of it.

Or does the Gestapo feel that counterfeiting American currency is not a crime?

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the couples at our coin club meeting said they have bought coins and bullion from the Walmart site.
    Pretty sure it was from APMEX, but I'll have to ask if they check out their purchases for authentication.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Staying away from bullion.
    • Regularly and consistently adding to S&P500 and income funds.
    • Putting all remaining $$ into rare gold w/CAC.
    edited January 11, 2023 3:49PM

@JimW said:

@derryb said:

Really?
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1080812/

That would be a link to my BST offerings of gold and silver. Thanks for the promo.

I'm a dealer, I always have PMs for sale that provide me a profit. This profit is used to buy more, cheaper PMs. It's how one makes a stack grow on it's own. My continuous advice on this forum has always been "buy low, sell high."

My current advice in answer to the OP's question remains "continue to stack/hold. Do no liquidate unless at a profit that will be used to buy more, cheaper PMs."

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be careful with silver or gold or stocks at this point. Esp stocks. Might be time to go 50% dry powder and lurk around for an opportunity.

CircleTheDrainDotCom if you want to see the worst of the worst in the stock market. How to make a million dollars in the market in 2022? Start with two million. Observe what Warren Buffet is buying through Berkshire Hathaway.

Have a nice day

Got out of my margin I had on high tech stocks today. Went to 7% cash.

Up over 15% on my stock trading account so far this year. :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

OT But any fresh tortillas and fish lately? :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

OT But any fresh tortillas and fish lately? :)

Limits of rockfish (10) the day before Christmas that I put in the freezer for later use.

We buy fresh tortillas all the time as we have two tortilla factories within a couple miles of our house.

Lately we have been making fish sandwiches on fresh deli rolls :p

Will ask the family if they want fish sandwiches tomorrow, thanks for the idea <3

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

The CPI is a release that sees very small changes upon being revised. It's not like the GDP, trade, or NFP data.