Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Statehood quarters bags

ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I've had these mint bags of Massachusetts statehood quarters since 2000. Each bag still has about 10 or so quarters in them. They're developing some nice purple toning around the edges.
I was wondering if they're worth anything? or should I just toss them and spend the quarters when I spray wash the salt off my cars.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have them in sealed bags which I bought directly from the mint.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is spend them...

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

if that is all the toning they have token on in 20+ years, it is reasonable to expect it will take well past your lifetime for them to take on enough to be worth a reasonable premium.

the odds are pretty low but it surely wouldn't hurt for you to look up the top pops grades and see if any of the coins you have may merit a submission. again, odds are very low but worth a couple minutes, if not anything, for the sake of practice.

i've seen people pay premium for crazier things. perhaps popping em up on the bay. not sure if you should do whole bags in one lot or perhaps lots of 10 for ones that have the blue legend toning. this is kinda a last resort before letting em sit in the closet for the rest of your life or putting em back into the wild. for sure include the bags with a couple of the lots.

thanks for sharing. interesting to see how the coins react with such a container for so long. do you mind sharing which state they resided in for the majority of their lives? curious about weather/humidity etc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend the quarters... Save the bags, they can always be used for storing things. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    if that is all the toning they have token on in 20+ years, it is reasonable to expect it will take well past your lifetime for them to take on enough to be worth a reasonable premium.

the odds are pretty low but it surely wouldn't hurt for you to look up the top pops grades and see if any of the coins you have may merit a submission. again, odds are very low but worth a couple minutes, if not anything, for the sake of practice.

i've seen people pay premium for crazier things. perhaps popping em up on the bay. not sure if you should do whole bags in one lot or perhaps lots of 10 for ones that have the blue legend toning. this is kinda a last resort before letting em sit in the closet for the rest of your life or putting em back into the wild. for sure include the bags with a couple of the lots.

thanks for sharing. interesting to see how the coins react with such a container for so long. do you mind sharing which state they resided in for the majority of their lives? curious about weather/humidity etc.

Northern Illinois. My father bought them when issued. He/we opened them because he was saving a plastic $10 tube of each quarter and mintmark, but this was the only bags he ever bought. Found out we could get rolls at the credit union at face value. Now they're not popular anymore and he's passed on. I'm zeroing in on retirement and going through many things I have and have from his estate including lots of modern coins. Time to eliminate some of the "junk" so to speak one saves over a lifetime. I still have some things from when my grandparents passed away.
    I figure these bags aren't work the cost of shipping but it can't hurt to ask. :)

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

Run a test on eBay. Put them up at face value plus the cost of the eBay fees and shipping. See if you get any bites, I doubt that you will though.

There are still people filling albums, but usually only buying the ones they need. And you never know about the light toning. It might trip somebody’s trigger.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Custerlost said:
    Run a test on eBay. Put them up at face value plus the cost of the eBay fees and shipping.

You can already spend them for face value. If you're going to go to the trouble of taking photos, listing and shipping, wouldn't you want to get more than that?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put the bags and coins in a warm oven overnight

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file