Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many coins are in a 21st Century type set?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 23, 2022 1:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I count over 300 so far, one cent to one dollar, including silver (proof) dimes, quarters and halves, excluding commems and bullion coins.

If only design type is considered, it's still close to 200.

By contrast, a 20th Century type set by my calculation would comprise 55 coins at most, including all 1999 and 2000 state quarters.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2022 4:12PM

My Littleton 20th century type set has 33. I added a third page for some very nice silver dollars who needed a home. 😀. Most of the coins represent a design change or update
    For 21st century how many design changes per denomination, are there?

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just end it at 1964.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    For 21st century how many design changes per denomination, are there?

By my count, number of designs for each denomination:
    Cents, 6 (four of them are 2009)
    Nickels, 6 (four of them are 2004-2005)
    Dimes, 1
    Quarters, 40 state quarters (45 if you include year 2000), 6 territorial quarters, 56 national park quarters, 1 Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter, 5 American Women quarters and counting.
    Halves, 1
    Dollars, 1 Sacajewea, 14 Native American and counting, 40 Presidential, 17 American Innovation and counting.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea of a type set is not to include everything, but rather one of each type. Currently by my count a 21st century type set would have 17 coins, not including proofs.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    I count over 300 so far,

You're probably short by 65 coins. The mint has turned into the Post Office. Like stamps, there's a coin for every day of the years!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree or not, PCGS Set Registry has defined their 21st Century Type Set at 35 coins. This allows for Business Strikes or Proofs. They also offer a separate 21st Century Type Set that is for Proof coins only. That set is at 32 coins. Both sets will increase by 2 coins for 2023, as an American Women Quarter (one silver AND one clad) will be required.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those full sets described above, are very impressive. I just do not have the patience to assemble a set of that magnitude. Plus, knowing me, I would always be upgrading along the way. I will just stick to getting a coin - or coins - that attract me, without any project in mind. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Agree or not, PCGS Set Registry has defined their 21st Century Type Set at 35 coins. This allows for Business Strikes or Proofs. They also offer a separate 21st Century Type Set that is for Proof coins only. That set is at 32 coins. Both sets will increase by 2 coins for 2023, as an American Women Quarter (one silver AND one clad) will be required.

Steve

There is also a 21st Century Circulation Strike Type Set that currently requires 30 coins. I’m at #10.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/313670

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2022 8:19AM

The Barber half is clearly the key to a 20th type set in high grade. Is there anything similar in the 21st century set? Nothing comes to mind…..

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2022 8:25AM

@BryceM said:
    The Barber half is clearly the key to a 20th type set in high grade. Is there anything similar in the 21st century set? Nothing comes to mind…..

Not really. 21st Century Type Sets are based around condition rarity, which is pretty much manufactured rarity rather than actual rarity.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than I want to collect. I keep up with what is in the silver Proof sets, and that's it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    I think a case can be made for the idea that choosing to include just one coin out of a series (statehood quarters, for example) is sufficient to satisfy the need for that type, for those so inclined.

I agree. The reverse designs are different but including each one is collecting the entire series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file