Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Steve Hayden's last auction was his highest grossing ever!

DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone follow Steve's auction last week? He said it was his highest grossing auction ever, and I believe it.
Very strong prices realized for civil war and hard times tokens. The strength of that part of the hobby has definitely grown, and it is slowly boxing me out! $470,000 in sales is not too shabby for exonumia.

I was able to pick up these two, both with some attractive toning:
WI-510V-1a,Chas. Kleinsteuber, Mechanic. Milwaukie, WI, NGC MS66BN

This one is bigger than the standard 19mm of most civil war tokens, and it's quite appealing. Struck by the great Wisconsin diesinker, John Marr.
What's not to love about this guy's epic beard?
OH165CN-2a, Kittredge & Co. Cincinnati, Ohio. Guns, Pistols, and Sporting Goods. NGC MS64RB

I always liked this one for the "Guns, Pistols, and Sporting" reverse die. Particularly attractive example. This is the plate in Fuld's CWT reference and ex. Steve Tanenbaum.
This looks like Robert Lovett, Jr's work to me. Does anyone know if he cut this die? @lovettcollector ?

Congrats to @SteveHayden for another great offering. He used to run these about twice a year, and I always looked forward to them.

Feel free to post any of your wins from this auction!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Kleinsteuber had one colossal beard..... I have had a beard since about 1972, but keep it short and trimmed. Not sure I could handle one like that. Cheers, RickO

• Options

How about this Good For A Scent token that shattered previous records for the variety? (MA-115D-3b)
    $5,651!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Alot of nice stuff in that auction. I only got one.

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was outbid. I hope the pieces I am holding could sell for those prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@SilverBlind said:

Care to post your newp?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Just saw this. Some fantastic pieces!

Tom

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing prices!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@DCW said:

@SilverBlind said:

Care to post your newp?

282 - OH960A-1a R3 NGC MS64 RB Woodsfield Ohio Civil War token
    Dont know how to post the actual picture from the auction but thats the one I got lol.

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please post a link to the auction site or website?? Thanks.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 3:51PM

Deleted

Tom

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverBlind said:

@DCW said:

@SilverBlind said:

Care to post your newp?

Dont know how to post the actual picture from the auction but thats the one I got lol.

i searched several times and couldn't even find the lot. if you post the link, i'll post the pics.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I cannot believe I missed it. And while prices were a bit high, there certainly were some bargains to be had. And I think the two other tokens listed above went for very reasonable prices for the grades.

One that I wished I had seen.

see if this works.
    https://www.civilwartokens.com/Event/Details/3295019?ViewStyle=list&StatusFilter=completed_only&SortFilterOptions=3&page=1

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@SilverBlind said:

@DCW said:

@SilverBlind said:

Care to post your newp?

i searched several times and couldn't even find the lot. if you post the link, i'll post the pics.

https://www.civilwartokens.com/Event/LotDetails/3342293/282-OH960A1a-R3-NGC-MS64-RB-Woodsfield-Ohio-Civil-War-token

Tom

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2022 9:12AM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@SilverBlind said:

@DCW said:

@SilverBlind said:

Care to post your newp?

Lance, the link TPRC posted is the one I won.

• Options

In response to DCW's question about the Kittredge token I don't believe Robert Jr. engraved this. I purchased one years ago to study it in detail and although it resembles his store card there are lots of little details that are different. I would have assumed he used the same master die and simply changed the major parts he needed to. More evidence would be needed for me to call it his work.
    And for those of you interested in the Lovetts I just added these two items to my collection - original oil on ivory miniature portraits of Robert Sr. and his wife Anna Doubleday. These had been handed down in the family since the 1850's and came from a direct descendant Katie (Jaeger) DeSilva.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sweet miniatures Dave.

• Options

@lovettcollector

Those are amazing. I hope you can catalog all of the Lovett's work in a book one day. I would absolutely "love-itt."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, after not sleeping well the night before I passed out just prior to Steve's auction starting. Which wasn't really a bad thing as it's nice to see what some HTT's fetched without me having bid.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

There was an 1868 Grant presidential campaign token in that sale which I didn't have. I like pieces with slogans on them that concern the themes of the candidate's campaign or the issues that cropped up during the campaign. That one had neither, so I was only mildly interested. The price when I saw it was way beyond what I would have been willing to pay, and it kept going.

For example, "Let us have peace" was the central theme of the 1868 Grant campaign after the Civil War.

Here's another which featured Grant's quote on a telegraph message he sent during the Wilderness Campaign.

The trouble is it seems these buyers need to get them to be in Gem Unc. to be worth the high prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

So far as the token in the OP goes, I've owned this one for many years. It was in Cindy Warbeker's collection. I have never seen one of these pieces with very much red on it.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Picked this one up at the PO Box this evening. I paid by check so things were a little slower.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't participate this time around but there were certainly some nice material!

I'm glad to see things are going so well and strong!

Here's an IOOF token that I liked from Benj Fauver's collection:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file