Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GC Auction Extended 48 Hours - Now End Tuesday, November 29th

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2022 5:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

About 45 minutes ago, a third-party network issue surfaced that could not be completely rectified before the auctions started to end. Out of an abundance of caution, we are extending the end times of our auctions today until Tuesday afternoon (ie. 48 hours from now).

We have held auctions over the past 600-odd Sundays, and this is only the second time we have had to take such action (the first was caused by a major East Coast outage).

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• Ian
Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Postpone till when?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Postpone till when?

When I tried to sign in, it said back in “599 minutes”.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must have just happened to folks in my area as I was on the site less than an hour ago and everything was working well. Good luck getting this straightened out.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Thanks for the update Ian! I'm sorry to hear you're having to deal with this headache!

Can we roll our coins over to next Sunday? No worries on the delay, these things happen! Thanks for keeping us updated, I hope it all resolves soon so you can rest ❤️

@ianrussell said:
    For the second time in our history, we have had to postpone the auctions today due to an unforeseen network outage affecting a large part of the U.S. We are still looking into this - and will report back soon.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seemed to go down about 7 EST when a million people were logging on. Worked ok for me until then too.

• Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Can I suggest you also post this to your Twitter, Facebook, etc. feed?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I was winning my two auctions too!

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually bidding on lots that are affected. Wasn't able to get my last bids in. How will I know when to go back again?

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry this happened, maybe the snipers will learn from this!

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Not good. This is a big spending weekend.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update, Ian!

• Options

Thanks for the update!

• Options

Can we request to have our auctions delayed until next Sunday? Ending on a Sunday afternoon seems more convenient of a day then a work day, can we do Sunday instead?

• Options

As of now................

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still down at this time. No access to the site.

I had 35 things up for auction tonight. My first time using GC. I hope the bidders return on Tuesday to bid. The last time this happened I won 4 gold coins at very low prices.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, it's all my fault. I was going to try and buy something really pricey and the world ONCE AGAIN has conspired to keep that from happening. THANKS, WORLD!

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

I had 35 things up for auction tonight. My first time using GC. I hope the bidders return on Tuesday to bid. The last time this happened I won 4 gold coins at very low prices.

I bid on the double eagles every week. They have not been going for "low prices" the past few weeks. In my experience they are selling for 1 or 2 more bid increments than they were a month ago.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

@CoinPhysicist said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I bid on the double eagles every week. They have not been going for "low prices" the past few weeks. In my experience they are selling for 1 or 2 more bid increments than they were a month ago.

My comment was for the last time the auction ended on a Tuesday due to tech problems. Not the normal Sunday auction. I guess we will see if you have the same competitors on Tuesday as you would have had tonight.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Sorry this happened, maybe the snipers will learn from this!

So WHAT you have against snipers???
    Pretty nasty comment to my thinking

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@CoinPhysicist said:

@pcgscacgold said:

My comment was for the last time the auction ended on a Tuesday due to tech problems. Not the normal Sunday auction. I guess we will see if you have the same competitors on Tuesday as you would have had tonight.

Fair enough. I think a lot of the bidding on the double eagles has already been done if memory serves me right. I don't remember though. They typically don't normally get bid up that much at the last minute, but they do over the course of the last day.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

I had some bids in on your Carr pieces. Usually there is more action at the end and I think it will still happen Tuesday. It might not be as strong as on a Sunday evening but I doubt there will be too many items going for below market values.

• Options

Thanks for the info @U1chicago
    I had not checked in a few hours. One item had an $8 bid and two were at melt.

• Options

I will add that it has been a great experience using Great Collections. I will use them again in the future. Ian was responsive to questions early on with my submission and all items had bids the second day posted.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

YIKES!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I reviewed a large % of this auction about 1-2 hours before the outage and prices overall were looking pretty strong. So, they will only get better between now and Tuesday IMHO.

Wondercoin

I had half a dozen fairly strong bids (guide or higher) in on various type coins and was blown out on all but one by yesterday. Leading on the last one by a few increments but I agree... STRONG prices thus far (at least what I was bidding on)

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone able to log onto the site at all? I can’t even view the home page at the time of this post.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had forgot to go back and check an possibly bid on something, then saw the notice. I m glad for the consigners, very slow unresponsive connections to the server

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I real feel for Ian and Raylene. Extending the auctions 48 hours sounds great.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Is anyone able to log onto the site at all? I can’t even view the home page at the time of this post.

I still can't get beyond the notice screen as of this posting.

• Options

I can only see the notice screen as well

• Options

The site is still not working as of this time. I hope it is back up soon.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭

I hope it gets resolved soon. Still not working as of this post.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said: I hope it gets resolved soon. Still not working as of this post.

Agreed, if it isn't fixed soon there'll be another extension. It's now 7:40am EDT and it isn't fixed.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience. They are in Pacific time zone.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is unfortunate. I was not bidding on anything right now, but certainly adds a bit of complexity to the auction process. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 6:20AM

@Maywood said:

Agreed, if it isn't fixed soon there'll be another extension. It's now 7:40am EDT and it isn't fixed.

I find it facinating that the auctions have been available to bid on for at least 2 weeks, and people are trying desperately to bid on coins now which end in approximately 36 hours? My initial thought when I saw the outage was that the auction prices were going to end lower than expected due to being changed to Tuesday. Now I’m thinking prices will be higher than expected due to this sudden surge in demand?

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

My wife asked me about 10 last night if I won anything, it had completely slipped my mind. Tuesday is round 2.....unless I forget again.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

@1madman said:

@Maywood said:

I find it facinating that the auctions have been available to bid on for at least 2 weeks, and people are trying desperately to bid on coins now which end in approximately 36 hours? My initial thought when I saw the outage was that the auction prices were going to end lower than expected due to being changed to Tuesday. Now I’m thinking prices will be higher than expected due to this sudden surge in demand?

I place an initial bid when I find the auction, usually two weeks before it ends. Then I come back and place a last minute bid within last 10-15 seconds in the case I get outbid I can make the quick decision to increase my bid or not.
    It seems that’s the way most bidders do things as the winning bid usually doubles, triples or more within the last 15 seconds.

In this particular case the delay helped me a lot as I am away with family for thanksgiving and was distracted and missed what would have been the normal auction end. I know if I just placed my max bid right off the bat I wouldn’t have had to worry about missing the end, but that’s not how I do things.

• Options

Also, still no access to the website as of 8:30 eastern.

• Options

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Also, still no access to the website as of 8:30 eastern.

and that was 5:30 am Pacific

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this would be a great time to upgrade if they needed to. I don't know what happened but take advantage of the down time to improve the reliability would be a good thing..

• Options

"Our full website will be operational later today (Monday), and we will e-mail all registered users at that time."

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who works in IT, it can be very hard to predict an exact restoration time. Especially when a third party is involved in the equation.

Tim

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

site is back online for me

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    site is back online for me