Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Small Collection of 1794 Large Cents

EddiEddi Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2022 1:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

There is something quite special about 1794 Large Cents

It is difficult to define precisely what it is, but to me it has something to do with the 'warmth' the various die varieties irradiate, the simple but endearing designs, the fact one can imagine the dedication with which the engravers worked, bent over their wooden benches carving their designs into steel in those long ago days in 1794.

As a foreign collector of US coins I have not been immune to this special attraction, and have managed to assemble this small collection of 1794 cents as I could find them and was able to afford them, all of them but one found locally in Europe.

I hope you like them.

Comments

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection! and interesting that they were all found in Europe

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Great looking 1794s

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!
    Agree that finding most of them in Europe is very surprising.
    Though low grade, I really like and appreciate that head of ‘93 example.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @Eddi :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Wonderful collection!

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2022 2:36PM

Wonderful pieces and congratulations on acquiring them all in Europe. The third to last piece shown is incredible! Nice head of 93 as well. They definitely aren't easy to come by!

Many early copper collectors focus on a specific year and I feel much the same way about 1796 cents as you do about the 1794 cents. There are many rare die pairings for those coins and there tends to be a lot of variation from variety to variety, in addition to the multiple engraving and denticulation techniques used to create the dies in 1796 - it gives them so much character to me. I know you have quite a few 1796 cents as well.

Either way a wonderful way to learn, hands-on, how things worked at America's first official mint during its infancy.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Very cool when folks outside of the US collect old American coins. Of all the countries to pick it seems a rather costly one :)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Love those '94's...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early Copper! Yummy! :tongue:
    They look amazing, and I can tell that wasn't the cheapest set to build either, those are pretty nice for lower grade 1794's!

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Someday I will get one.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful group, Eddi. A pleasure to see them all together.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wonder I can't find one...seriously, nice set of old large coppers!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi... Very nice set of coins. I would love to find one like the fifth coin a reasonable price. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set. Thanks for sharing!!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small collection?

great stuff

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice little group.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic set. I also love the 1794 date as well as the cap. Thanks for posting.

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Beautiful!
    Agree that finding most of them in Europe is very surprising.
    Though low grade, I really like and appreciate that head of ‘93 example.

Thank you. That head of '93 is a Sheldon 18b, the variety most commonly found.
    As you note, the reverse is extremely weak - from what I have seen this is very often the case. All in all, however, I was very happy to come across it.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Eddi... Very nice set of coins. I would love to find one like the fifth coin a reasonable price. Cheers, RickO

It is Interesting you picked that one. It is a Sheldon-45. This variety is quite scarce, considered to be a high rarity 5. It appeared in an auction in Spain which really surprised me.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 6:12AM

@Omegaraptor said:
    Wonderful pieces and congratulations on acquiring them all in Europe. The third to last piece shown is incredible! Nice head of 93 as well. They definitely aren't easy to come by!

Many early copper collectors focus on a specific year and I feel much the same way about 1796 cents as you do about the 1794 cents. There are many rare die pairings for those coins and there tends to be a lot of variation from variety to variety, in addition to the multiple engraving and denticulation techniques used to create the dies in 1796 - it gives them so much character to me. I know you have quite a few 1796 cents as well.

Either way a wonderful way to learn, hands-on, how things worked at America's first official mint during its infancy.

Thank you very much. I share your enthusiasm for 1796 cents as well - I particularly like the Draped Bust type, which appeared for the first time in that year. I have found those very difficult to find in good condition, as I am sure you have as well.
    That 1794 you point out showed up in an antique fair in Antwerp, Belgium. I could not believe it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi... I did not know about the Sheldon attribution... Just like the quality of the coin. Thanks for the information. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file