Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1910 10 dollar Indian, any chance this is a proof? Updated 12-23

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish

Has it been confirmed that they pulled the cert as they felt it needed to be reviewed again? I'm sure you must have called them by now. Keep us posted, we're rooting for ya here.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingers crossed

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the point in spending more $$$ on a crossover.

I simply do not know enough about the Proof $10 Indians to offer any thoughts... well... except one. Is there a chance that any proof dies were used in the production of business strikes?

Based solely on the images, there is something about the look of the Eagle on your coin that would create uncertainty in my mind.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread, I would want further verification if I was paying proof money on this one. Especially given the circumstances here...

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I truly appreciate everyone’s support! @DeplorableDan
    I had to work my regular job today and also prep for the WCC show tomorrow in Portland Oregon…which i will be attending…a 5 to 6 hour drive…
    I will email NGC tomorrow (For clarity) i know it is Veterans day and imagine i won’t get a response until Monday…
    I will update y’all as soon as i hear something from them..
    And to all the Veterans out there…Thank you for your service!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2022 7:47AM

Good luck in getting to the bottom of this. I looked over many of the dates of proof $10 Indians and most were very high grade. There were some non-matte proofs that were as low as Pr62, and the 1910 was the most populous date for proofs (204). NGC only has 28 certified on record with two at 62: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/gold-eagles/indian-head-10-1907-1933/18892/1910-10-pf/

PCGS' article and commentary:

David Hall:
    The mintage for this issue is listed as 204, but like the mintage figures for all 1910 gold issues, this figure is suspect. Based on graded populations and auction appearances, the 1910 is certainly rarer than the 1908, and seems to be rarer than several other issues with much lower mintages. Either half of the mintage was melted at the Mint or the reported figure was simply incorrect. Somewhere between 50 and 75 examples are known today and the original number released by the Mint was probably half the 204 reported figure.https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1910-10/8892

• Options

Has there been any update to the story? This is unusual for NGC to do.

• Options

No update yet, emailed NGC over the weekend, Stay tuned!

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Some die polish lines near *1 would suggest proof, if that be diagnostic (checking CF images for business strikes & proofs). Someone could look it up in Dannreuther.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is stressing me out. Though I am pleased to learn that a couple of people got a look at it this weekend and believe it’s a proof.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aegis3 said:
    Some die polish lines near *1 would suggest proof, if that be diagnostic (checking CF images for business strikes & proofs). Someone could look it up in Dannreuther.

@2windy2fish
    i haven't seen anyone post this, that i saw but unfortunately business strike and proof coinage can share diagnostics and therefore dies so those aren't always definitive for differentiation between them.

so anyone reading, tread lightly and don't rely on just a few diagnostic marks shared with known proof coinage dictating whether or not you spend money on a coin that falls into that category. the mint used and reused and repolished and repaired and rehubbed etc., so this area in numismatics can get a bit hairy. (this thread being a case-in-point)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish

Nothing yet?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to disagree with the TPG- and certainly no offense to OP-but this coin still looks like a business strike to me. Perhaps done with recycled proof dies. It just doesn't have the look of any proof $10 Indian we've owned imo. Perhaps it's the photos...?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

?

• Options

Has there been any update yet, have you called NGC?

• Options

I have been in contact with NGC, i will update the post with a complete story when we get there!
    Thank you all for your patience!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling that this isn't going to end well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I have a feeling that this isn't going to end well.

As long as it ends properly.

If it’s not a Proof, it shouldn’t be in a first world TPG holder labeled as such. If it is, then good for the coin, and great for the OP.
    It’s also good to know that apparently NGC is doing their due diligence. Of course, I’m sure they don’t want to be buying it back for big $, somewhere down the road, if they’re wrong….

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sad. :'( Better luck next time!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't they already be at the "buy it back" stage

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

Why?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dollarfan said:

No, not when the submitter still has the coin and there’s not another party who’s suffered a loss as a result of the error. In other words, I don’t think a submitter is entitled to profit unjustly, due to a mistake on a coin he submits.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going by the comparisons photos, the rims don't look squared enough. Hopefully it's just the images.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Hate to disagree with the TPG- and certainly no offense to OP-but this coin still looks like a business strike to me. Perhaps done with recycled proof dies. It just doesn't have the look of any proof $10 Indian we've owned imo. Perhaps it's the photos...?

Agree. But photos are tricky sometimes.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 9:19PM

Persistence paid off. I would send it to CAC first, before the crossover. If JA likes it, then cross it. If not, leave it alone.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

No, not when the submitter still has the coin and there’s not another party who’s suffered a loss as a result of the error. In other words, I don’t think a submitter is entitled to profit unjustly, due to a mistake on a coin he submits.

While this is true, and I agree with Mr. Feld, the submitter has no legal obligation to return the coin. It is similar to how the grading service has no legal obligation to pay for the coin. The NGC contract states:

"Customer agrees to return to a Company, at the Company’s expense, any collectible bearing a clerical error made by the Company. A Company will, at its expense, correct the clerical error and return the corrected collectible to Customer. Customer agrees to indemnify, defend and hold Releasees harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) relating to or arising directly or indirectly from Customer’s failure to comply with this Section 18."

The section clearly states "clerical error." NGC defines a clerical error as "A clerical or mechanical error occurs when a Coin is encapsulated with a label that bears a grade and/or description that clearly does not correspond with the Coin." Furthermore, NGC states "NGC certification labels with incorrect dates, mintmarks, denominations or Coin types (all of which should be obvious to someone who performs an inspection of the Coin and label) are considered clerical or mechanical errors."

This coin therefore is not a clerical error (many experts can't even tell whether or not the coin is a proof, and I doubt it is "obvious to someone who performs an inspection." By this logic, the submitter has no obligation to return the coin, as it is not a clerical error and he/she didn't agree to return the coin unless it was such an error.

However, a moral obligation is a different story. Morally, if the TPG decides to overrule the label, they should pay. Will they? I don't know and I don't think there's any evidence to support they will. The reason I posted this is to show that the submitter can make the same choice NGC will have to make - will I take the moral factor into account?

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@MFeld said:

@dollarfan said:

While this is true, and I agree with Mr. Feld, the submitter has no legal obligation to return the coin. It is similar to how the grading service has no legal obligation to pay for the coin. The NGC contract states:

"Customer agrees to return to a Company, at the Company’s expense, any collectible bearing a clerical error made by the Company. A Company will, at its expense, correct the clerical error and return the corrected collectible to Customer. Customer agrees to indemnify, defend and hold Releasees harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) relating to or arising directly or indirectly from Customer’s failure to comply with this Section 18."

The section clearly states "clerical error." NGC defines a clerical error as "A clerical or mechanical error occurs when a Coin is encapsulated with a label that bears a grade and/or description that clearly does not correspond with the Coin." Furthermore, NGC states "NGC certification labels with incorrect dates, mintmarks, denominations or Coin types (all of which should be obvious to someone who performs an inspection of the Coin and label) are considered clerical or mechanical errors."

This coin therefore is not a clerical error (many experts can't even tell whether or not the coin is a proof, and I doubt it is "obvious to someone who performs an inspection." By this logic, the submitter has no obligation to return the coin, as it is not a clerical error and he/she didn't agree to return the coin unless it was such an error.

However, a moral obligation is a different story. Morally, if the TPG decides to overrule the label, they should pay. Will they? I don't know and I don't think there's any evidence to support they will. The reason I posted this is to show that the submitter can make the same choice NGC will have to make - will I take the moral factor into account?

Based on how the coin looks in the images, I wouldn’t rule out a “clerical error”. That said, what appears to be a clerical to one person, might not to another. What is the standard of knowledge being applied with respect to “obvious to someone who performs an inspection”?

Why and what amount do you think a TPG should pay if they determine they have made an error in accidentally assigning an incorrect designation, such as PF instead MS?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 12:09PM

However a grading service cannot hide underneath the "mechanical error" legal argument in all cases where it makes mistakes, especially when they are not "mechanical" mistakes. If they call a counterfeit, good or genuine or grade a coin a lot higher than it actually is, or do their due diligence in quality control then they should be liable.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 6:19AM

@logger7 said:
    However a grading service cannot hide underneath the "mechanical error" legal argument in all cases where it makes mistakes, especially when they are not "mechanical" mistakes. If they call good or genuine a counterfeit, or grade a coin a lot higher than it actually is, do their due diligence in quality control and send it back then they should be liable.

There shouldn't be any liability in the absence of harm. And catching an error which prevents a submitter from profiting from that error, shouldn't constitute harm.

One time, many years ago at a show, I saw a group of several common date PCGS Walking Liberty Half Dollars that had been graded MS65 and submitted for re-holdering (not re-grading). Yet somehow, each one ended up being re-graded MS68.
    PCGS subsequently re-holdered them as MS65 - no doubt to the dismay of the submitter. Do you think there should have been any liability for that error?

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 6:23AM

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    However a grading service cannot hide underneath the "mechanical error" legal argument in all cases where it makes mistakes, especially when they are not "mechanical" mistakes. If they call good or genuine a counterfeit, or grade a coin a lot higher than it actually is, do their due diligence in quality control and send it back then they should be liable.

There shouldn't be any liability in the absence of harm. And catching an error which prevents a submitter from profiting from that error, shouldn't constitute harm.

One time, many years ago at a show, I saw a group of several common date PCGS Walking Liberty Half Dollars that had been graded MS65 and submitted for re-holdering (not re-grading). Yet somehow, each one ended up being re-graded MS68.
    PCGS subsequently re-holdered them as MS65 - no doubt to the dismay of the submitter. DO you think there should have been any liability for that error?

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:

PCGS subsequently re-holdered them as MS65 - no doubt to the dismay of the submitter. DO you think there should have been any liability for that error?

I'd regard that example as an exception, grading services cannot be liable for all such mistakes that are clearly due to someone failing to do their job. If a meat grader calls a common Chuck cut Filet Mignon is that due to common human error? It should be clear that huge errors should have some consequences. In my state failures for products to ring up accurately results in the scan error making the sale free. There is allowance for mistakes in high production jobs.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all we know, NGC only flagged this coin because of the discussion in this thread (it wouldn’t be surprising that NGC staff would frequent this forum, nor would I be surprised if someone here brought it to their attention). That creates an uncomfortable situation—or at minimum, the appearance of one—where a coin that was graded properly (but not necessarily accurately) is only coming under further review because of the doubts and discussion on this thread. I’m very curious to hear from OP about what specifically NGC has communicated about the situation.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    I contacted NGC after the Portland show about the certification status. They requested i send the coin back for review, i sent the coin Monday…
    I could not in good conscience sell the coin with the certification in question.

Seems to me like this is not a “clerical or mechanical error” situation, given they are asking to review it in-hand again.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 9:26AM

@jmlanzaf said:

If I had to live my life over, I think I'd go into psychology. It's far more interesting than chemistry. ;)

Interesting, but ultimately, only perplexing.

Strange set of circumstances with this coin. I get that TPGs make mistakes (all of them), but the rate of coins going out the door with "mechanical errors" on the labels is pretty alarming IMO.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chemistry is a science.
    Psychology and coin grading (much to the chagrin of passionate “friends”) are not.
    And that is what makes these threads interesting and simply entertaining.
    The absolute subjective (often humorous and insightful) experience of these two non-sciences..

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Chemistry is a science.
    Psychology and coin grading (much to the chagrin of passionate “friends”) are not.
    And that is what makes these threads interesting and simply entertaining.
    The absolute subjective (often humorous and insightful) experience of these two non-sciences..

I agree with that. However, don't rule out the subjectivity of science.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 11:27AM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    For all we know, NGC only flagged this coin because of the discussion in this thread (it wouldn’t be surprising that NGC staff would frequent this forum, nor would I be surprised if someone here brought it to their attention). That creates an uncomfortable situation—or at minimum, the appearance of one—where a coin that was graded properly (but not necessarily accurately) is only coming under further review because of the doubts and discussion on this thread. I’m very curious to hear from OP about what specifically NGC has communicated about the situation.

Someone here reported it. They don't go on all the coin forums and de-certify coins quickly after they are posted unless some "trusted" expert contacts them. If the result turns out to be the same with NGC's flagging of the coin then they should pay for the costs of that.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

Why?

Well when I saw this, most people thought it was not a proof.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course this whole topic comes perilously close to errors that are not clerical or mechanical but instead judgmental.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone that has offered their thoughts have based those thoughts on the images provided. Not to be more difficult than usual, I will go full circle back to what I previously wrote in that we could have proof dies used to strike business coins intended for commerce.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Any update here?

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

@BustHalfBrian said:
    Any update here?

Looking up the cert number brings this up:

NGC Cert #
    5852534-001
    NGC Description
    1910 $10
    NGC Grade
    PF 62
    Label
    NGC Standard Brown

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/5852534-001/62/

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice to get an update from the OP.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BustHalfBrian said:
    Any update here?

NGC Cert #
    5852534-001
    NGC Description
    1910 $10
    NGC Grade
    PF 62
    Label
    NGC Standard Brown

I got the impression the cert was deactivated at some point in this thread, no? If so, then the fact that it's active again would indicate that they have reviewed and recertified the coin most likely?

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:

@MFeld said:

@BustHalfBrian said:
    Any update here?

NGC Cert #
    5852534-001
    NGC Description
    1910 $10
    NGC Grade
    PF 62
    Label
    NGC Standard Brown

I got the impression the cert was deactivated at some point in this thread, no? If so, then the fact that it's active again would indicate that they have reviewed and recertified the coin most likely?

I had thought the same. So I’m hopeful that the current view I posted from the cert verification page indicates a positive outcome.

• Options

The image does not come up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file