Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2022

2»

Comments

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 4:48PM

Since I have each set since 2016, (Was no 2015, and prior I did not like how they were packaged) and a job that pays me really well, I had my wife buy one for my Christmas present... Can't wait to open!!!

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the 2020 and the 2021 which represents both types of ASE and is kinda neat but not going for it this year.
    Also I liked the 2021 Washington crossing the Delaware quarter.

Not sure it’s worth 200 but….

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 8:46PM

I bought a 2018 for $105 on eBay a couple years back, auction with weird ending time 2-3 am Sunday morning. Its the only Les I own. It’s not a safe friendly size but S mm so cool 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 4:04PM

20,569 sets remain at this moment.

edited to add, now 19,896.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Sales are slowing to a trickle now. 18,946 available.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I received my set today. Very nice and a keeper.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

Good! If they don't sell out, the price will pop after they are pulled with a final issuance of ~30K.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

selling @ of 100 per hour.....down to 18,700 available.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@JeffM said:

Good! If they don't sell out, the price will pop after they are pulled with a final issuance of ~30K.

Not usually. Lack of demand is a lack of demand.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:
    two minutes before the HHL was removed: data-available="23755.0"
    two minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23549.0"
    five minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23381.0"
    Ten minutes after the HHL was removed: data-available="23230.0"

I would say that these are not exactly flying off the shelf.

IMO, this is an indication of a very good job by the Mint in managing price and supply. The Morgan and Peace dollars last year was the opposite--either they should have made more, or charged more; as it was, they were making money for the dealer, not themselves. I fully expect that these will sell out eventually, but they're not making money for the dealers (and we customers don't have the frustration of a server constantly crashing).

See I just don't see this. With the Morgan and Peace the mint got tremendous publicity. It was able to sell the idea that coins, and not coins but current mint product, were so hot that they were able to crash government servers, GOVERNMENT servers. It was able to sell the idea that if you want the new coins you have to be in line long in advance because demand is higher than supply. It was able to sell the idea that mint product can not only retain its value but also increase its value.

So the mint doesn't maximize revenue on those dollars, but how many coins, including this set, does the mint sell as instant "investments" to people who are outside of the coin space or only barely inside who would never have spent $200 on coins in the first place. Those people who are diligently filling their albums with Innobucks four times a year, and so are sort of aware that coin collecting exists (aside: has anyone tried to fill albums of current coins from circulation since the 2008 quarters?) are tempted to buy these sets. It doesn't take many of those to make it worthwhile for the mint.

To that end, the Morgan and Peace "fiasco" was a much more successful marketing ploy than the W mint quarters which almost nobody outside the "hard core" community knows about and fewer care. The general public might have been motivated to check their "pennies" three generations ago for one dated 1943 that was worth $5000, but who would get excited by finding a quarter with a letter W on it that's worth $15? It would be more like "OK, cool. Thanks for telling me, Bro." And if they ask you if you'd give them $15 for it so they can go and get a meal at McDonalds the answer is "No, man, that's what you can get for it on eBay, but I'll give you $7." And I know of no one here who thinks that the quarters are buys at current levels.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2022 8:26AM

daltex.
    Pretty good reasoning and partly correct. Except for this;
    $7 for a quarter is pretty good.
    And the Morgan’s and Peace Dollars are holding at double their release price and the Peace Dollar and the CC Morgan are holding above $200. That’s a good deal.
    We shall see where the new S uncirculated quarter falls in. Washington Crossing and Tuskegee are doing well also.
    W ase’s kinda took a beating this year but will retain original value of $73.
    Just some thoughts and my opinion as always 😁

• Options

@daltex said:

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:

IMO, this is an indication of a very good job by the Mint in managing price and supply. The Morgan and Peace dollars last year was the opposite--either they should have made more, or charged more; as it was, they were making money for the dealer, not themselves. I fully expect that these will sell out eventually, but they're not making money for the dealers (and we customers don't have the frustration of a server constantly crashing).

See I just don't see this. With the Morgan and Peace the mint got tremendous publicity. It was able to sell the idea that coins, and not coins but current mint product, were so hot that they were able to crash government servers, GOVERNMENT servers. It was able to sell the idea that if you want the new coins you have to be in line long in advance because demand is higher than supply. It was able to sell the idea that mint product can not only retain its value but also increase its value.

So the mint doesn't maximize revenue on those dollars, but how many coins, including this set, does the mint sell as instant "investments" to people who are outside of the coin space or only barely inside who would never have spent $200 on coins in the first place. Those people who are diligently filling their albums with Innobucks four times a year, and so are sort of aware that coin collecting exists (aside: has anyone tried to fill albums of current coins from circulation since the 2008 quarters?) are tempted to buy these sets. It doesn't take many of those to make it worthwhile for the mint.

To that end, the Morgan and Peace "fiasco" was a much more successful marketing ploy than the W mint quarters which almost nobody outside the "hard core" community knows about and fewer care. The general public might have been motivated to check their "pennies" three generations ago for one dated 1943 that was worth $5000, but who would get excited by finding a quarter with a letter W on it that's worth $15? It would be more like "OK, cool. Thanks for telling me, Bro." And if they ask you if you'd give them $15 for it so they can go and get a meal at McDonalds the answer is "No, man, that's what you can get for it on eBay, but I'll give you $7." And I know of no one here who thinks that the quarters are buys at current levels.

Totally agree. Creating the illusion of rarity pushes sales. Nightclubs have known this for decades. The create artificial lines out front that make people want to join the line rather than find another club. FOMO

In the short term, the "collectors" have had an easier time getting the coins. And that's all they care about. The Mint, on the other hand, has not benefitted in any way.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:

Evidently, we disagree. :)

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Got my limited edition proof set yesterday. Nice set. Comes in a big box! I like to keep my coins in the boxes they are shipped in, but this is a bigger one.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay listings, BIN> @JeffM said:

Got my limited edition proof set yesterday. Nice set. Comes in a big box! I like to keep my coins in the boxes they are shipped in, but this is a bigger one.

And that is one reason I don't like these sets, takes up too much room

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    Ebay listings, BIN> @JeffM said:

And that is one reason I don't like these sets, takes up too much room

And don’t fit in my safe or sdb 🧐

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my set today (we were traveling yesterday) and it is beautiful! No complaints here!

• Options
    edited November 1, 2022 7:31PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@JeffM said:

Unless it isn't. Keep in mind that there was also a lack of demand for anniversary gold eagle sets in 1995! And then people saw how low the final mintage was, and all of a sudden demand materialized.

Don't you find it ironic that people keep complaining when they can't get what they want (3-roll quarter sets) and then complain when more product is made available? People aren't interested at 50K, and then later get excited when they miss out if the mintage turns out to be much lower. It used to happen every year with the burnished gold eagles.

You are right when it comes to series people just don't care about, but proof silver coins don't fall into that category. I'm not suggesting these are ever going to be worth a big multiple of their issue price (unless silver goes to $200/oz!), but they will hold their value, especially if the final mintage comes in a lot below 50K.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@JeffM said:

Unless it isn't. Keep in mind that there was also a lack of demand for anniversary gold eagle sets in 1995! And then people saw how low the final mintage was, and all of a sudden demand materialized.

Don't you find it ironic that people keep complaining when they can't get what they want (3-roll quarter sets) and then complain when more product is made available? People aren't interested at 50K, and then later get excited when they miss out if the mintage turns out to be much lower. It used to happen every year with the burnished gold eagles.

You are right when it comes to series people just don't care about, but proof silver coins don't fall into that category. I'm not suggesting these are ever going to be worth a big multiple of their issue price (unless silver goes to $200/oz!), but they will hold their value, especially if the final mintage comes in a lot below 50K.

Not an apt comparison. The 1995W has a unique coin not just a packaging difference. There is no unique coin in this set.

Look at mintages for spouse gold and platinum proofs. They are barely 1000 yet there is no great love in the secondary market. And that is total mintage not just a packaging variation.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:

Yes, the Mint has vastly improved since all the fiascos last year and before.

I tend to disagree. This is just product and demand. This product is not in high demand as the only new product here is packaging. When they release another limited, unusual, or tiny mintage....prepare yourself for another fiasco. Think of it as a cattle drive, the larger the herd, the more difficulty getting through the gate.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@JeffM said:

@124Spider said:

@Batman23 said:

Yes, the Mint has vastly improved since all the fiascos last year and before.

I tend to disagree. This is just product and demand. This product is not in high demand as the only new product here is packaging. When they release another limited, unusual, or tiny mintage....prepare yourself for another fiasco. Think of it as a cattle drive, the larger the herd, the more difficulty getting through the gate.

Agree. They only sold seversl thousand at the noon release. That is very different than when they had 300,000 to 500,000 people all logging in at noon.

That said, the one thing the Mint might have done is kill enough demand to make it easier in the future. What was the "hottest" release of 2022?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2022 12:45PM

I had forgotten all about the set being eligible to be ordered at noon that day until late that evening. I went up on the mint site and ordered and had my order confirmed within 5 minutes. I don't know why I keep buying these expensive sets, but I bought them in the past and I'll probably continue to buy them until I can't afford to buy them anymore. I love buying from the mint I just don't like the Bots. I guess you can say I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, otherwise I would not buy all this overpriced stuff the mint has for us loyal US Mint customers.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    edited November 2, 2022 2:45PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@JeffM said:

Not an apt comparison. The 1995W has a unique coin not just a packaging difference. There is no unique coin in this set.

Look at mintages for spouse gold and platinum proofs. They are barely 1000 yet there is no great love in the secondary market. And that is total mintage not just a packaging variation.

Understood. My only point was that there was little interest and then, after they were pulled from sale without selling out, there was a lot of interest. Packaging is a thing for some people, not so much for others. Just ask our hosts, who make a ton of money feeding the packaging machine, at ever increasing prices or limited to resellers who give them a ton of business, with all the different labels for the same exact modern coins.

And I get that there is no interest in spouse gold, platinum proofs, or most medals and commemoratives. That has nothing to do with packaging variations for ASEs, or proof sets, which have been popular in the past. They still sold 30K+ and counting. I hope they don't sell any more. These sets were never meant for people who don't care about limited fancy packaging.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Christmas present has arrived, I'll have to wait to open and see the silver...

• Options
    edited November 5, 2022 3:27PM

Mine arrived, and it's very nice!

It would be even better if they included a silver 1¢ and a silver 5¢ coin; given that the normal dime, quarter and half dollar have no more silver in them than do the cent or nickel, there's no good reason not to do so, and it would be a much, much better set that way.

Same with the "normal" silver proof set; it's beyond silly to include non-silver coins in them.

• Options

The 2022 limited edition silver proof sets were still available. I bought one from the mint just two weeks ago, it's now sitting on my desk (a nice set BTW). Checking the US Mint website, you can still order these 2022 sets.

I don't bother with any coins from the mint unless they are silver proofs. Not much future value in uncirculated.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

It takes an uncirculated year set, a proof set and a silver proof set to keep my Kennedy Half Set up to date. Or, I can spend a few bucks (usually $84 or so) to get all 4 coins each year. I like having the other proof coins just to add to my boxes so I guess I'll keep buying the sets from the mint. Also have to buy the silver quarter Women's coins proof set and the regular proof set so I can keep grand daughters Women's Coins set up to date. I prefer getting the sets from the mint myself.

• Options

@rrboedeker said:
    The 2022 limited edition silver proof sets were still available. I bought one from the mint just two weeks ago, it's now sitting on my desk (a nice set BTW). Checking the US Mint website, you can still order these 2022 sets.

I don't bother with any coins from the mint unless they are silver proofs. Not much future value in uncirculated.

Not much upside to the silver sets with the premium paid. By the time silver is $100, the Dow will be 100,000.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 4:26PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@rrboedeker said:

Not much upside to the silver sets with the premium paid. By the time silver is $100, the Dow will be 100,000.

I certainly understand that it's not an "investment" to buy silver proof sets (or "regular" proofs sets) from the Mint. But I think they're pretty, and they're not expensive (compared, say, to a nice dinner with my wife).

• Options

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rrboedeker said:

I certainly understand that it's not an "investment" silver proof sets (or "regular" proofs sets) from the Mint. But I think they're pretty, and they're not expensive (compared, say, to a nice dinner with my wife).

Agreed. But the clad are also pretty and cheaper.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rrboedeker said:

I certainly understand that it's not an "investment" silver proof sets (or "regular" proofs sets) from the Mint. But I think they're pretty, and they're not expensive (compared, say, to a nice dinner with my wife).

Agreed. But the clad are also pretty and cheaper.

I get both. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file