Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Been a member since 2013.....no more

icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2022 11:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The difficulties PCGS is having getting material graded in a timely fashion... broke the proverbial camels back. I may come back in the future... but not until grading times return to a reasonable level.

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

just about everything has some form of delay in addition to price hikes. Nature of the beast.

I agree, my 'weekly' trash pick up was 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, tough to find people to work. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Just signs of the times."
    Dealing with some set backs, are the norm.
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 9:56AM

companies are not immune to major delays they try to avoid them if possible but in the real world things happen that are beyond control of people

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    I would be more concerned with grading accuracy of classic stuff due to huge bulk submissions taking up all the space.

Actually.................this is true.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

its like that with a whole lotta other places as well

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a common theme in many fields right now. Shortage of employees, increased demand etc., etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to life post Covid. I’m sure most if not all companies, government agencies etc. would prefer to conduct business as usual but no one can control all possibilities. It’s sucks. I still can’t get a pizza delivered, seriously.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, I feel your pain.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order was received yesterday and already shows they picked it up from the P.O. 4 coin voucher regular gold shield with varieties for each of the four. I will try and come back and update to see how long. These are coins for my sets so I am not in a hurry as others maybe that are dealers.

First update. Coins got there yesterday and today they are already in the system. That is pretty quick. Will see how long for grading now.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick around the forums. It's free to participate. I agree with you about the grading times, and that is why I simply don't send them anything. Just too much money for that kind of service. Hope it improves

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    You don't get out much do you?
    Seriously, just about everything has some form of delay in addition to price hikes. Nature of the beast. I am getting an order ready to submit and will not be expecting it back until April 2023.

Thats great, you can pay with your 2021 Tax Refund.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is called justifying a price increase. :#

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears there has been at least a little strain relief in this lately. And even so, the other services are also swamped. I have been doing more show submissions than ones that go back to the office for several months than I had done in the past.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

collecting anything comes with risks that is just how things go you accept the risks and take it on the chin and keep going or lay down and whine and quit your choice

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like the wait times then go to another TPG............. probaly won't do that EH?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

While employees boycott work and wait for wages they think are fair, Central Party Chairman Powell is going to give us a 2023 recession that's so painful that they'll soon be happy to have work of any kind.

I think we need to be patient for now, but don't accept this lack of service in every industry as the new normal or we will become Venezuela

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Let me let you in on a little secret. There was this disease thing that can't be named.

A lot of people got sick, and a lot of people died.

A lot of people worked from home, but coin grading not so much. The TPGs were closed for months and when they reopened, the safety measures necessary to have people in the office meant they couldn't have as many people working at the same time.

As others said, lots of organizations have been having problems hiring employees.

Then they got boxes and boxes of modern garbage (ASEs) dumped on them, and they're only now beginning to dig out - while awaiting next years dump.

bye

I can't let this one go un-addressed. When your entire business model is built on one thing (grading stuff) you do whatever's necessary to complete that mission. You work weekends, holidays, longer days, whatever. Shows are still attended, promotions never slowed, bulk submissions and grading modern junk and bullion never was delayed in favor of actual collector coins. None of that.

Even the turn around times are hidden into the most discrete corners of the site so that this information isn't so readily available. It's business as usual except for the main task. Finally, there's been zero communication about what efforts if any are being made to address the situation.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 8:51AM

Talent costs money. Open up those checkbooks.

Translation: raise those grading fees. :D

If you want to pay significantly higher grading fees I'm sure turnaround times can be reduced considerably.

I think we need to be patient for now, but don't accept this lack of service in every industry as the new normal or we will become Venezuela

I have a friend who is convinced this is the plan for our economy in general. He says now that people are accustomed to lower levels of service, that's what they'll be given going forward. :/

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if technology has outpaced the ability of the general population to learn it??

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

106 Business days on my economy of US coins as of today. Hasn't budged but do expect it will be completed in time for Christmas.
    PCGS should pack up and move out of California. I suggest South or North Dakota. There you are free to work and play.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I can't let this one go un-addressed. When your entire business model is built on one thing (grading stuff) you do whatever's necessary to complete that mission. You work weekends, holidays, longer days, whatever. Shows are still attended, promotions never slowed, bulk submissions and grading modern junk and bullion never was delayed in favor of actual collector coins. None of that.

You have a serious confusion between the business and the individual graders.

As the business, you can ASK your employees to work extra hours. Surprise, surprise, most of us in stressful roles say no or ask for additional compensation. Personal time off work is important for a work-life balance.

The only way for the business to have more capacity is to hire more people. They have been advertising for some time, but apparently between the location restrictions and the salary offered, it's a tough hire.

It also becomes more expensive. I would not be surprised to learn that the bulk grading of modern silver eagles is actually what pays the bills and keeps the lights on. I guarantee that all of the TPG's management know this to the penny and know how much business it would cost them to increase the fees or reduce the discounts.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update: just went to encapsulation......lol

@AUandAG said:
    106 Business days on my economy of US coins as of today. Hasn't budged but do expect it will be completed in time for Christmas.
    PCGS should pack up and move out of California. I suggest South or North Dakota. There you are free to work and play.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Rule #2
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity.

This discussion has been closed.